Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you guys condsider V8 cayennes timebombs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 08:23 PM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Dump the S, get the turbo, problem solved.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:03 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

These cars must be loved to spend the money on the engine. If you have to "justify" it in any other way, then just dump it.

To restore the cylinder issues our restoration process must be employed, which cost over 6K alone. Any Porsche engine is not a cheap expenditure and we've been installing engines into vehicles that are worth less than the engine cost for 20 years. The people that do that, love the car and or realize that they can't buy another car as good for the same money.

If you decide to sell it, I'll buy it as it is, I need a test vehicle for my Arctic Circle trip later this year and I don't want to use my Turbo.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:48 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Jake, that was a nice writeup on you in Panamera magazine this past month. I need to eventually get some new cylinders and redo my '74 911 with the '90 964 motor. The cylinders are leaking slightly which as you know was a problem with the early 964 motors.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
Jake, that was a nice writeup on you in Panamera magazine this past month. I need to eventually get some new cylinders and redo my '74 911 with the '90 964 motor. The cylinders are leaking slightly which as you know was a problem with the early 964 motors.
Thanks! The same technology that you read about in the 4.2 Cayman "X" article is what we have employed with the Cayenne V 8 engines that we have developed.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:40 PM
nmercier853
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jake where are you located?

I am just very sad with Porsche's issues with these vehicles. They have coils problems, leaking coolant pipes, oil starvation and drive shaft bearing housing problems in just about all of them. I bought this vehicle with 13k on it hoping that I would keep it. For me to go out and spend $80k on a vehicle again and know that my future might be grim is tough. My very first car was a 944 and I have had a Porsche ever since.

I am looking at replacing it with a Mercedes GL Diesel.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:41 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Jake where are you located?
N.E. Georgia.. Doesn't matter, we have Porsches here from 30 states with engine issues and we are shipping brokers to facilitate moving them all over North America. We arrange everything.

I am just very sad with Porsche's issues with these vehicles. They have coils problems, leaking coolant pipes, oil starvation and drive shaft bearing housing problems in just about all of them.
Think these cars are bad? Buy a Porsche with an M96 engine and see what you face! We have developed all modern Porsche engines, right down to the 9a1 from as new as 2014. The Cayenne engines are BY FAR the BEST engines of all water-cooled Porsches based on our experience and what we see fail catastrophically, and when.

I bought this vehicle with 13k on it hoping that I would keep it. For me to go out and spend $80k on a vehicle again and know that my future might be grim is tough. My very first car was a 944 and I have had a Porsche ever since.
I have had a Porsche every day of my life since the age of 12… Literally. Now I have a fleet of them, but none have radiators :-)

Like I said, you HAVE to LOVE these cars to spend the money on them, and luckily theres lots of those people out there. They keep us so backlogged that its amazing.

I am looking at replacing it with a Mercedes GL Diesel.
Gotcha.. Just picked up a Benz last night to add to my collection, but its a 500E from 1992, equipped at the Porsche factory (yes Porsche) with a 5 liter V8 in a W124 chassis. Its a rare beast and it hauls ***!
Old 01-04-2014, 02:58 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A 500 e is more rare than it is truly fast. A c43 amg is just as fast and MUCH more affordable for a unique benz. Although there is no other car with a history quite like the 500e. At this point in the game a 500e is more like an investment since the prices have been climbing. What is the mileage on yours?
Old 01-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

For what the 500E is, its more than fast enough, especially from 40-120MPH.

Mine has 191K, but mileage doesn't bother me because the car is so clean.. I plan on building a big bore engine up for it anyway, based from another M119 core and keep this one all original for a later date. With the same processes we use for the Porsche engines I can go 5.5L pretty easily.

And have fun doing it.. Maybe it needs a pro charger? :-)
Old 01-04-2014, 03:06 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Yeah that sounds like a great project!
Old 01-05-2014, 12:55 AM
DavieGravy
Instructor

It's comforting to know the car I just bought is a piece of crap that might need a 20k engine replacement soon. I don't have the ticking/knocking noise yet but how long can one expect to drive the car once this symptom occurs? Have there been any known cases of engines seizing?
Old 01-05-2014, 01:02 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

DavieGravy, I think we know each other?

If you are who i believe that you are the issue won't bother you, because you don't operate in frigid temperatures. We ONLY see these issues in very cold areas, the NE USA, midwest and Canada primarily. The frigid temps and the expansion rates of the internals are the issues.

The Cayenne engine is a real brute, it pretty much only loses intake camshaft vane cell adjuster bolts and cylinders in cold climates. Thats two failure points internally, where I have documented 26 modes of failure for the M96 engines.

The internals of the Cayenne engine impress me.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:34 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DavieGravy
It's comforting to know the car I just bought is a piece of crap that might need a 20k engine replacement soon. I don't have the ticking/knocking noise yet but how long can one expect to drive the car once this symptom occurs? Have there been any known cases of engines seizing?
Lol - simmer down. Very very few cayennes experience engine failure.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:54 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by DavieGravy
If you find that the threat of this rare occurrance is spoiling the ownership experience - sell now. These cars are too expensive to buy and too expensive to maintain for you to have anything but total enjoyment from them. If that's not happening, sell out and buy something like an Audi Q7 or if you want a sports car, the Acura NSX or a GT-R.

It's your money to spend and you should get joy from that expenditure rather than stress.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:08 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

not sure you would get anything like that for 10-15K which is what an 04 is worth right now
Old 01-05-2014, 05:49 PM
DavieGravy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
DavieGravy, I think we know each other?

If you are who i believe that you are the issue won't bother you, because you don't operate in frigid temperatures. We ONLY see these issues in very cold areas, the NE USA, midwest and Canada primarily. The frigid temps and the expansion rates of the internals are the issues.

The Cayenne engine is a real brute, it pretty much only loses intake camshaft vane cell adjuster bolts and cylinders in cold climates. Thats two failure points internally, where I have documented 26 modes of failure for the M96 engines.

The internals of the Cayenne engine impress me.
Thanks for the info. I do post on a couple of other car forums (subaru) forums so I'm not sure if that's where you know me from or not. I'm in the Colorado area so the temps are too bad but we do get some periods of single digit and sub zero temperatures every winter. I was just a bit concerned since a member in texas stated he had 2 friends with scoring issues on their cayennes.

Quick Reply: Would you guys condsider V8 cayennes timebombs?