Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contemplating Cayenne Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 12:03 AM
Hud99
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any differences between Peteol (eg V6) vs Diesel when it comes down to engine longevity? For frequent short trips, is a Petrol better or no difference? Thanks.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:24 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I have heard recently that 80% of all Cayenne in the USA ..are (gas) V6 !
Old 03-14-2013, 06:08 PM
zorba1331
Instructor

The dealer called yesterday and said the V6 service loaner should be in by 4. I called and it wasn't back yet and I haven't heard back from them so I went to the other dealer and they have a Diesel loaner that should be around by Saturday. Between the two service loaners I should be able to get a chance to drive both.

Interesting feedback on both. I am starting to think I can't really go wrong either way. I must say I am leaning towards the V6 just because it is what I know and the extra $ can be spent on the options, but again, I will try to be logical and drive both. Not really my strong suit when I get excited about something

Neither place seemed too savvy about the ED thing. From what I have read on here they get another allocation, right? I told them that and both said they would check for me. Hopefully I can get a chance to drive them and by mid next week or so I will have my mind made up. My husband and I are both quite excited about the ED and I have started planning a trip route already!
Old 03-14-2013, 07:00 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

About this (fantastic) V6 (VW based engine), there are rumors that the next generation of the Panamera S will no longer have a V8, ..but this V6 with turbo !

Also, still about the quality of this engine : the Bentley W12 (Turbo) "super engine" ..is nothing else than two of these V6 "glued" together. And beside in the Bentley, You also find this "W12" engine in other VW models, i.e.: in the Touareg in Europe, or in the Phaeton.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:40 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by zorba1331
I am starting to think I can't really go wrong either way
That is probably true. Both are good engines in a good vehicle. Based on what you've told us it will probably just come down to where you want the money to go for options.

From what I have read on here they get another allocation, right?
That is my understanding, but I have no direct knowledge. What I do know is that Porsche charges for ED and "recently" (sometime between 2000 and 2012) they told their dealers that they have to pay the cost and it can't be passed on to the customer. The dealers get around this by basically subtracting the cost of ED from the deal they'll give below MSRP.

I have heard/read about the "free" allocation, but my dealer denied that and I've seen others say the same about their dealer. I don't know if this is a case of "if it's on the internet it must be true" or if it's just the dealers trying to make more money.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:08 AM
zorba1331
Instructor

Well, I finally got a chance to drive the V6 today. Man, I couldn't believe how smooth it was! It didn't have the fancy suspension, but I still felt it was a very smooth ride. He moved it into sport mode and you could definitely feel the difference in that as well. I really liked it and am an inch away from ordering one. We are just mainly sorting out the ED stuff and trying to figure out the dates because of the summer factory closure.

I am set to test the Diesel from the other dealership tomorrow and am curious if I can notice the difference.

I have one configured that comes to about $77k which is making me freak out a bit, but my husband says that it is no problem...hmmmm...I feel like that is about my limit though!
Old 03-16-2013, 12:12 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,570 Likes on 1,600 Posts

If that's freaking you out, stick with the V6....the diesel is $4k more.

You will notice the difference with the diesel....but you might not care about it.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:13 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't want buyers remorse. If $77k is your conscience then just rock that.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:17 AM
zorba1331
Instructor

Originally Posted by philg3
2) Bose sound system is good, but instead of the package, I ordered the Bose w/o XM or CD changer, and added the HD radio -- ends up being about $100 less than package. Who uses CD changer anyway, and you can plug in a flash drive in the center console, or load music on a hard drive -- all standard.
I don't want the changer either. I don't even know where my CD collection is anymore. Doesn't the 6 disk changer come with the premium plus package?

3) Standard leather is actually very nice -- full leather is outstanding -- but it didn't make the cut for me.
Does 'full leather' mean the stuff around the dash?

4) If you go with PASM, might as well go with the air -- didn't make the cut for me.
Unlikely for me as well.

5) Don't forget the tow package, even if you don't tow anything. It's good for a bike rack, and gives you more flexibility down the road.
Is it unwise to have a tow hitch installed after market? I had one installed on my Touareg after market (bike rack purposes) for about 1/2 of what it is to add it onto your Porsche. Bad idea or does it matter?
6) You can go crazy with the wheels -- 18 inchers will give you a softer ride. If you go larger, the air suspension would give you a better ride. I went with 18 -- one step up with the Cayenne S III wheel. Color hub cover is nice and is cheaper to order with the car than to add after.
I will likely do the same.

The one I drove today had the Pano roof, but I don't need that either. A regular moon roof will satisfy me.

Good luck to you.
Thanks for the detailed response. Very helpful.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:20 AM
zorba1331
Instructor

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
If that's freaking you out, stick with the V6....the diesel is $4k more.

You will notice the difference with the diesel....but you might not care about it.
Yeah, it would have to be a pretty large difference in order for my to justify the extra 4k for an engine at this point.

Originally Posted by endless_corners
You don't want buyers remorse. If $77k is your conscience then just rock that.
I agree. Once I have it all sorted out I will share what configuration I went with.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:08 AM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is easily one of the more interesting threads. I have a '06 CS, which I bought new. I never wanted PASM/air suspension because I plan to keep the car for 200K+ miles. I have no confidence such a complex system would continue to operate down the road without expensive repairs. Panoramic roof is another option that's completely out. My wife is a firm believer that sunlight causes aging, and she doesn't want any of it. If she sees that the car has a sun screen which will let some rays in at all times during the day, she would never drive it. Besides, the driver can't feel much of the sunroof no matter how big it is.

If there's one upgrade I wish I had, it's the full leather interior. The standard interior is too VW. To fully enjoy a Porsche you want the high end feel.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:15 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by zorba1331
Does 'full leather' mean the stuff around the dash?
The dash is just the start of it. You would be surprised how many cows they can cram in there...

I too wanted the full leather option, but didn't (though having now had a good view of the blue (no longer available) I'm glad I didn't get what I wanted). The plastic/vinyl they used is good quality though so I don't feel like I'm in a $70k car with a cheap interior (like I feel in BMWs).

How you will keep the car should play into your decision as well. We have the full leather in our 996 which has been street parked it's entire life and the leather on the dash has bubbled up and I know that is common for similar aged 911s and Boxters if they spend a lot of time in the sun. Wouldn't have prevented me from doing it again, just something to think about.

Is it unwise to have a tow hitch installed after market? I had one installed on my Touareg after market (bike rack purposes) for about 1/2 of what it is to add it onto your Porsche. Bad idea or does it matter?
If you go with the Porsche hitch, last I heard it was costing in the $2000-$2500 range to get it installed after the fact. So in that case it's much smarter to buy it from the factory.

All the non-Porsche options I've seen discussed have a lower tow rating on them (something you need to make clear when reselling it) and it seems there is an issue with who can do it (e.g. you can't take it to uHaul because the bumper has to come off).

I don't remember if I said it earlier, but I highly recommend roof rails. They can not be added after the fact on the 958 and the rating difference is over 100lbs vs just the aftermarket posts that you can clamp on.

Originally Posted by racer_65
If there's one upgrade I wish I had, it's the full leather interior. The standard interior is too VW. To fully enjoy a Porsche you want the high end feel.
The 958's base interior is a step up from the 955/957 as far as quality of materials. I'd still rather have the full leather, but I'm not disappointed at all without it.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:13 AM
zorba1331
Instructor

Originally Posted by gnat
The dash is just the start of it. You would be surprised how many cows they can cram in there...
I did notice a bit of plastic in the one I drove and I agree, it didn't look cheap at all.

If you go with the Porsche hitch, last I heard it was costing in the $2000-$2500 range to get it installed after the fact. So in that case it's much smarter to buy it from the factory.
It was nearly the same to get one installed at VW as well, so the one I have was from uHaul. It was just for a bike rack so I never thought about the difference in tow rating. Good point and good to know. I will just get it from the factory then.

I don't remember if I said it earlier, but I highly recommend roof rails. They can not be added after the fact on the 958 and the rating difference is over 100lbs vs just the aftermarket posts that you can clamp on.
Yes, roof rails are definitely in the order. The Yakima rail system that I have will work on them?

I am debating between red or white gauges. My husband likes white, but I think the red look really sharp. Anyone have the red and able to provide their impressions?

Also, can the auto start/stop feature be disabled? I didn't like that feature much.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:39 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

1) The Bose: There is a Bose Audio package for $2,160 that includes the Bose System, CD Changer, and XM Radio. Or you can buy components of the system as I did, because I saw no use for the CD Changer as flash drives / built in hard drive are better ways to go IMO. The Bose System is $1,690 plus I added the HD Radio for $370. If you want XM, Bose package is the way to go. XM is subscription based starting at $14/mo for a basic package including traffic that goes to the NAV. HD Radio is relatively new to Porsche, and is not subscriptions based, although HD receives a royalty from manufactures for each unit sold. HD also has the capability of receiving traffic info, but not sure if Porsche integrated that feature to the NAV. If you like XM programming, don't mind paying a monthly fee, that may be the way to go. I have a friend that has XM in one vehicle and HD in another, both non-Porsches, and he prefers the HD -- says HD sound is better. But that's just one datapoint. Premium Plus package doesn't include the CD Changer.

2) The leather: The standard leather is very nice, but the full leather is exceptionally nice -- better quality of leather, nice stitching, leather on dash, etc. Go sit in a Turbo -- comes standard there, or any other C that has this option to get a feel for it. Gives the C a more luxurious feel; standard -- a more sporty / spartan feel IMO. As gnat, above mentioned, the standard leather in the current generation is a vast improvement over the previous generations. You can trade the full leather out for the diesel.

3) The hitch has been addressed, and it's far cheaper, better implementation to have the factory do it for about $650.

4) Didn't get roof rails -- came on my 2004CT, never used them; basically if stuff doesn't fit in the cargo area, it just doesn't go. But if you think you may have a current or future need, get it.

My CD is nearing the Panama Canal right now, so I should have it in a couple weeks. Build details are below:

Price Type RETAIL Pricing Status AVAIL Total Order$ 70,980
Port Of Entry SWA San Diego - U.S. Delivery
BSEMDL BASE Cayenne Diesel Y 55,750
BDYCLR N4 Dark Blue Metallic 790
TOPCLR N4 Dark Blue Metallic 0
INTERI MC Standard Interior Luxor Beige 0
OPTION EXT TPMS Y 0
OPTION 1D6 Trailer Hitch w/o Ball 650
OPTION 3FE Moonroof 0
OPTION 1N3 Power Steering Plus 0
OPTION C1Q 18" Cayenne S III Wheel 390
OPTION 1NP WheelHbCvr w/ColorPorscheCrest 185
OPTION 2ZH Heated3-spokeMultifuncSW 0
OPTION 9VL BOSE(R) Surround Sound System 1,690
OPTION PE5 14-way Power Seats-Memory Pkg 0
OPTION Q2J 14-way Power Seats-Memory Pkg 0
OPTION 2C4 Memory Package for Electric St 0
OPTION 3PN Memory Package for Electricall 0
OPTION PU3 Premium Package Plus 10,180
OPTION 3Y8 ElecRollupSunblindRearSideWind 0
OPTION 4A4 Heated Seats Front and Rear 0
OPTION 4D3 Seat Ventilation Front 0
OPTION 4L6 Auto Dimming Interior Rearview 0
OPTION 6XT Automatically Dimming Exterior 0
OPTION 7B6 12-Volt Outlet in Rear Center 0
OPTION 7T1 PCM with Navigation Module 0
OPTION 7X8 ReverCamera-ParkAssisFrontRear 0
OPTION 7Y1 Lane Change Assist (LCA) 0
OPTION 8EA Bi-Xenon(TM) Headlights w/PDLS 0
OPTION 9MB Dimmable Interior LED Lighting 0
OPTION QV3 HD Radio(R) Receiver 370
Old 03-16-2013, 09:42 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is $650 from factory, if you ever want one, get it now! Like stated earlier, it is triple the price for Porsche to add it later. Even some after market cheapo will require the bumper to be removed, and a complicated wiring harness added. Do you want the risk of a hack taking your car apart, electrical problems, no-where near the tow rating, and a hunk of rust hanging out the back after a few years? All to save what $100-$200?

Quick Reply: Contemplating Cayenne Purchase