Sponsored by:

Contemplating Cayenne Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 PM
jes999
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Test driving both with/without PASM/air is a must.

After putting 130k miles onto 2005 CS without PASM/air and almost 60k onto 2011 CTT where it's standard, it still doesn't feel nicer to me and if it were optional, I'd never go for it.
I completely disagree. After putting lots of miles on an '06S with std suspension and living with an '09 GTS with the PASM/air suspension for the past 18 months, I would not buy a Cayenne without it!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zorba1331
That's great. We kind of need to do our trip to Europe in July so if we are going to do the ED we need to get on it. Was the build time any different for you because you did the ED on it?
We ordered our Cayenne and changed it to ED pretty late in the game.
The order date sets the wheels in motion for when the Cayenne will be built.
The pick up date should be a little bit after the build date so your's will be built when you get there (just in case of delays at the factory.)

Check out the factory closing dates for July, as you won't be able to pick up or drop off your Cayenne on those dates (unless it has changed since 2011.)

There should be some threads on order dates and how there is a "no changes allowed date". I think they call it locking in the order.
Once the order reaches this point, you can't change the options.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:14 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

What’s about the differences of a “torquy” Diesel engine and a rpm happy gas engine ?
Well, let’s keep on mind that the “torque” is a kind of “intermediate” characteristic.
The power, which is the force that we really feel pulling the car, is nothing else than the multiplication of the torque value, by the rpm of the engine.

The strong point of a Diesel engine beside a “better” fuel efficiency is to have engines that have strong torque in a low rpm range.
Also, this strong Diesel engine torque is often quite “flat” (constantly high) in a pretty good range of rpm.

The results of the above can be easily observed, if you have an heavy “carriage” (i.e.: towing an heavy trailer), and being on a rather low rpm, as you will still have the feeling that “the engine pulls well”.
The opposite i.e.: driving a gas engine that has low torque, ..but high rpm, gives a kind of different feeling. A good example could be driving a Honda S2000, particularly the first model ! where at low rpm “it pulls nothing”, but, when the rpm starts to be in the high end, then, it feels fantastic ! (torque of 153 ib x ft and max power of 247 hp at ..8’300 rpm)

This been said, I would like to express all my excuses for my above post wording that could be perceived as sexist. Far for me to have any idea of that kind, and sorry again for this mistake.

At this point, it may be interested in this topic to observe that :
The Cayenne (V6) Diesel has a torque of 406 ib x ft and a max power of 240 hp at 4300 rpm
The Cayenne (v6) gas, has a torque of 295 ib x ft and a max power of 300 hp at 6300 rpm
So, a big question could be why a 300hp car does 0 to 60mph in 7.1s and the 240hp car does it in 7.2s ?
Well, the answer is kind of “simple” ..but tough to explain : the modern gearboxes, ..driven by computers “that knows that”, so, when a “pedal to metal” order is received, the computer looks for the best possible power scheme available, and manage the usage of the 6 gears in the best possible way, in the case of the Diesel, it is able to use the more “rounded peaks” of power (aligning them between changing gears one after each other), without to much deep “valley”, while in the gas engine case, that is more powerful in that case, but the “alignment” of the power peaks, leaves much deeper “valleys” between the gears ..were the Diesel gets its advantage.
..Ouch, I hope my explanation will be “readable” !!!! That’s quite heavy, sorry again.

But, yes, pretty “technical”, ..I’m sure that any Truck Driver would know and perceive that, just like a 6th sense.
But, as you can see, in a simple 0-60 mph test, in the Cayenne V6 comp, the gas win, ..just by a little tiny 1/10 of sec. ..when having 20% more power !

So, imo, you would love more a Diesel typically when you tow, ..and this, btw, was the source of my “incorrect statement”, as, my wife would never accept to drive her car, when we have our 6500 pounds trailer attached at the rear of it !

But frankly, the difference in the “pull feeling” between a 0 to 60mph, ..is quite difficult to perceive, i.e.: more regular with the Diesel and more “peaky” with the gas engine !
Or, one may say, with a Diesel, you got a strong start and a smooth end, while with a gas engine, you have a smooth start and a strong end ! (Well, ..do not get me wrong on that one !!!)

Finally, ..a lot of words.. for a 1/10 of sec. between 0 to 60 !!!
(or ..who (any human) really cares, if you do not tow ??)

To complete the “easy number comp.”, shall I add here that :
The Cayenne V8 has a torque of 369 ib x ft and a max power of 400 hp at 6500rpm
..it does the 0 to 60mph in 5.6 sec, so, if you really like when a car “pulls strong”, ..just try this one !
Here, I have no doubt that anyone will feels the difference.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:10 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had turbos gassers and turbo diesels. I have had large displacement v8's. I think OP should spend her money pimping the interior. The standard v6 will be plenty of drive able power for her. She has a fixed budget and the extra $4k will be best spent on options. I love the diesel torque wall but I don't think it will matter enough for her.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:55 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
I have had turbos gassers and turbo diesels. I have had large displacement v8's. I think OP should spend her money pimping the interior. The standard v6 will be plenty of drive able power for her. She has a fixed budget and the extra $4k will be best spent on options. I love the diesel torque wall but I don't think it will matter enough for her.
Absolutely nothing wrong with the V6, as the transmission / engine management mapping is so good, that it has no problems powering up hills. Took my friend, pictured on left, to Tahoe a week ago in my wife's V6, and there is plenty of power -- didn't feel anything was lacking up steep grades. V6 is good value considering performance. Can't wait for the diesel though -- about 2 weeks away. You guys on the East Coast get your C's much quicker than us on the West Coast.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:46 AM
zorba1331
Instructor

Originally Posted by RESP

Check out the factory closing dates for July, as you won't be able to pick up or drop off your Cayenne on those dates (unless it has changed since 2011.)
Thanks, will do.

Re: the Pano roof--it looks great for sure, but I think it is one of those things that I think I can live without.

Originally Posted by endless_corners
I think you might be right about this.

Re: the air suspension: I am on the fence about this and I hope to have the chance to drive both, but I really don't think I would be one to be making full use of this option. I know I said my emotional financial comfort zone is at $79K, but when the price on that 'build your own' starts getting $75+ I start to freak out a bit haha.

I really appreciate all your guys' thoughtful responses though. The dialogue is great.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:35 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by zorba1331
He just bought a Denali. He loves it but it isn't what I would chose.
FYI, don't mean to be rude, but one of my pet peeves is the "Denali" term. Denali is a trim. It's used on the Sierra, Tahoe, Yukon, Acadia, etc.

In any event, I'm going to my local dealer today and I'm going to drive a V6 back to back with the diesel to compare. I might try an S to see what the air suspension is about but I have the feeling then I'd want one.

I'll let you know my thoughts later!
Old 03-13-2013, 02:53 PM
zorba1331
Instructor

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
FYI, don't mean to be rude, but one of my pet peeves is the "Denali" term. Denali is a trim. It's used on the Sierra, Tahoe, Yukon, Acadia, etc.
Noted! I think it is a Tahoe--Denali....

In any event, I'm going to my local dealer today and I'm going to drive a V6 back to back with the diesel to compare. I might try an S to see what the air suspension is about but I have the feeling then I'd want one.

I'll let you know my thoughts later!
That would be great. I am still waiting for the dealer to call and let me know that the service loaner is back for trial. Enjoy.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Hud99
Advanced

I'm also torn between a Diesel and V6. From another thread, I learned that the V6 Driveline differential (PTM - Porsche Traction Management) is more advanced compared to a diesel. So I'm leaning towards a V6. Not that the diesel is bad, but the PTM of a non-diesel is better.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:13 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to mention you CAN order a manual transmission and get ptv+. The base engine with PASM/pdcc/ptv + manual would be a fun setup.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

So I drove the V6 today. It's definitely not slow, but it's not for me.

My Acura MDX has similar power specs, (although it does have 295 ft-lbs vs. the MDX's 270). Makes power at similar RPM as well.

I likened driving the V6 to driving my MDX but with 3 more transmission gears. And while that was somewhat of a good thing, to me, it was not all good. To me, the transmission was eager to downshift 3 gears way too often. I very often found myself in 8-5 downshifts at highway speed, and frequent 6-3 and 5-2 downshifts around town. Even more frequent were 2 gear downshifts. It felt busy. Sure, it kept the car moving, but it was kind of bugging me. I definitely felt a distinct advantage for the diesel while rolling on the throttle at speed.

I would say that Zorba if you like your V6 T'Reg, you'll love the V6 Cayenne. Me, I'm too addicted to torque to pass up another 110 ft-lbs and 5 plus MPG for the $4k.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:22 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While you folks are pouring over the subtleties, also don't forget that the Diesel weighes 300lbs more.

That extra weight in the nose will make itself felt in handling, braking, and cornering!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:13 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne
While you folks are pouring over the subtleties, also don't forget that the Diesel weighes 300lbs more.

That extra weight in the nose will make itself felt in handling, braking, and cornering!
I'm auto crossing mine this weekend to find out just how this beast handles in bad situations.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:35 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Just shows there's no right or wrong, just differing opinions / tradeoffs between the two. My experience with the V6 is that the transmission is in the right gear at the right time in a seamless kind of way, but this may be due to my driving style. My only experience with the diesel is a 15 minute test drive with too much traffic to really put it through the paces, but enough to know that the engine is fully capable. Plus people who have a diesel really seem to like it.

Then there's the diesel's torque -- when you look at the power curve, the torque peaks out fairly early and holds it throughout the relevant range (the RPM's where it's going to be most of the time). This is goodness.

I think the extra $4K diesel premium is worth it -- would rather put $4K for towards the diesel instead of getting the air / PASM on the V6.

Prior to the diesel's availability, these boards had lots of V6 supporters, and rightfully so, IMO.

What I find interesting is that many people here are on their 2nd or 3rd Cayenne, are downsizing from a V8 / Turbo to a V6 / Diesel, and are content with less power.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:51 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by philg3
What I find interesting is that many people here are on their 2nd or 3rd Cayenne, are downsizing from a V8 / Turbo to a V6 / Diesel, and are content with less power.
On my third, going the other direction and could never go back. Can't imagine.

Quick Reply: Contemplating Cayenne Purchase