Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contemplating Cayenne Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 02:28 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's tough because our dealer only has one to drive and at the time I didn't have time so maybe there is more now.
When I was purchasing, my closest dealer had a used "S" to test-drive, and nothing else! Which I found a little ridiculous. Moved on to a dealer 15 minutes further (which I bought from), and he had just about every configuration available to try between his new and used cars!

Trying them is worth more than our opinions, since these things are very subjective!

And this time I agree with endless_corners, I really regret not doing Euro Delivery! But you need to confirm this before signing the papers, as the dealer will probably not allow the change after since it is kind of setup in their disadvantage (they basically pay for your benefit out of their profit).

My VW feels really heavy and there is a slight hesitation off the line but once it grabs it goes.
In sport mode especially, my V6 pretty much jumps off the line. Won't do any neck snapping though.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Holy crap! I hate to be the heretic, but you can get a gently used 997 turbo for that price. Unless you're hauling more than 2 pugs, it's a no-brainer.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:52 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lady dont need no neck snap go kart.. she want a tall seating position luxed out cross over. Now if a bloke off the street said hey i got $79 large to spend.. then your advice would be well directed.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:35 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by zorba1331
In your opinion will there be a difference in 'jump' off the line between the v6 and the diesel? Where does one notice the difference in these two engines in performance aside from towing or fuel economy? I am not a driving conissouir by any means so maybe I should just get the base and load it up? I have always liked lots of bells and whistles in the interior of vehicles.
It's noticeable mostly in that initial kick that gets you going. All that torque is right there waiting for you in the diesel just off idle while the gas engine have to spin up a bit first. Once the gas engines get into their power band, however, they can run stronger since their band is longer and HP is higher. Halfway through a 4 lane intersection the V8 would already be gaining and by the other side the V8 should have caught the diesel and the V6 should be gaining ground.

The other place you should notice it is when you punch it to pass someone (or merge into moving traffic). The diesel rarely has to downshift in my experience to change the speed while gas engines might need to drop a gear or two at the same speed to get into their power band.

The diesel has a great kick (and even better in sport mode) to get you moving, but with the gas engines you get more of a welling of the power.

Really there is no bad option as long as you define your needs and pick the appropriate engine for the job. From your descriptions so far I'd think you'd enjoy the TDI, but probably be more than satisfied with the VR6.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:10 PM
zorba1331
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne

Trying them is worth more than our opinions, since these things are very subjective!
Definitely. I am waiting for a nice spring day to occur before I set out and do a bunch of testing.

And this time I agree with endless_corners, I really regret not doing Euro Delivery! But you need to confirm this before signing the papers, as the dealer will probably not allow the change after since it is kind of setup in their disadvantage (they basically pay for your benefit out of their profit).
What does Euro Delivery consist of?

In sport mode especially, my V6 pretty much jumps off the line. Won't do any neck snapping though.
That sounds good enough for me!

Originally Posted by gnat
It's noticeable mostly in that initial kick that gets you going. All that torque is right there waiting for you in the diesel just off idle while the gas engine have to spin up a bit first. Once the gas engines get into their power band, however, they can run stronger since their band is longer and HP is higher. Halfway through a 4 lane intersection the V8 would already be gaining and by the other side the V8 should have caught the diesel and the V6 should be gaining ground.

The other place you should notice it is when you punch it to pass someone (or merge into moving traffic). The diesel rarely has to downshift in my experience to change the speed while gas engines might need to drop a gear or two at the same speed to get into their power band.

The diesel has a great kick (and even better in sport mode) to get you moving, but with the gas engines you get more of a welling of the power.

Really there is no bad option as long as you define your needs and pick the appropriate engine for the job. From your descriptions so far I'd think you'd enjoy the TDI, but probably be more than satisfied with the VR6.
Great description and info, thanks gnat.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:20 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

For no charge to you, you can pick up your Cayenne in Germany, be a guest of Porsche for a day or two, try it out on a track, have a blast on the Autoban, and drive around Europe. When you are done bring it back for shipment home. Insurance and licensing all covered in Europe. Plenty of info from those who actually did it in the threads.

Think, you could drive through Germany/Switzerland/Italy and take the Ferry to Greece all in the lap of luxury! (Did that once in a crappy Renault)

BTW, Greece the highest per capita home of the Cayenne!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:22 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zorba1331

You get to pick up your Cayenne at the factory in Germany.
It includes 2 weeks insurance, a night in the hotel near the factory, some track and off-road instruction, tour of the factory, lunch and then you drive off to the Autobahn to enjoy a vacation in Europe.

We did it in 2011 and it was an amazing time!
There are some great threads to search on the subject.
It is now a no-cost option

An excellent experience you can't get from every auto manufacture.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:23 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

@ Steve,
great minds think alike
Old 03-11-2013, 04:25 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Great minds must not feel like doing much work today
Old 03-11-2013, 05:31 PM
zorba1331
Instructor

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne
For no charge to you, you can pick up your Cayenne in Germany, be a guest of Porsche for a day or two, try it out on a track, have a blast on the Autoban, and drive around Europe. When you are done bring it back for shipment home. Insurance and licensing all covered in Europe. Plenty of info from those who actually did it in the threads.

Think, you could drive through Germany/Switzerland/Italy and take the Ferry to Greece all in the lap of luxury! (Did that once in a crappy Renault)

BTW, Greece the highest per capita home of the Cayenne!
Originally Posted by RESP
You get to pick up your Cayenne at the factory in Germany.
It includes 2 weeks insurance, a night in the hotel near the factory, some track and off-road instruction, tour of the factory, lunch and then you drive off to the Autobahn to enjoy a vacation in Europe.

We did it in 2011 and it was an amazing time!
There are some great threads to search on the subject.
It is now a no-cost option

An excellent experience you can't get from every auto manufacture.
Wow! That sounds awesome! We were actually planning on taking a trip to Germany this summer anyway. A little WWII history tour. How fun would that be to have our own Porsche to do it in?! I will do some reading on the subject, that sounds fantastic.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:22 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Technically its not a no charge to you thing. Officially the dealer can't pass the cost on per Porsche, but the reality is that most dealers seem to take that into account for the discount they'll offer. So you get a couple thousand less off.

BMW on the other hand actually pays you (by discounting ED cars) to take the trip, but the X vehicles are built here in the states so no ED option for them.

For me it was 4% off or 0.5% off and I needed most of that 4% to stay under budget
Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gnat

For me it was 4% off or 0.5% off and I needed most of that 4% to stay under budget
It was even worse for us.
When we ordered ED it was a $1200 option and no discount.

Looking back on the experience, it was worth a lot more than we paid for it.
And we are planning on doing ED for our next purchase as well
Old 03-11-2013, 09:32 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Zorba, I am in the same situation as you, but I am currently driving an X5 diesel. I love the torque and the endless powerband. My lease is ending in December on the X5 and I am ready to jump back into a Cayenne. I have previously owned an S, but this time I am going for the V6 or the diesel. I am leaning towards the diesel, just because I already own one. Anyway, it is nice to have another female on this board! Good luck with your choice and let us know what you decide!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:40 PM
zorba1331
Instructor

Originally Posted by DRJMK
Hey Zorba, I am in the same situation as you, but I am currently driving an X5 diesel. I love the torque and the endless powerband. My lease is ending in December on the X5 and I am ready to jump back into a Cayenne. I have previously owned an S, but this time I am going for the V6 or the diesel. I am leaning towards the diesel, just because I already own one. Anyway, it is nice to have another female on this board! Good luck with your choice and let us know what you decide!
Two days ago I was leaning towards a diesel, now I think I am going to go with a Base V6 and load it up with options haha. I have to get out and test these things so I know if I am going to notice a big difference in torque, etc.

My husband and I have talked over the Euro Delivery idea and have fallen in love with the idea of combining a trip that was going to happen anyway with the pickup of my new car. I have already been looking at maps and looking at hotels etc!

Once I get myself sorted out, I will definitely let everyone know what I am going with.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:45 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah that is my recomendation... base with lots of options.. Air suspension is not "necessary" but allows you to change the feel of the car a lot on demand... and the ride height. The full leather package is expensive but really nice to be in. That big sunroof will give you a pseudo convertible feel. A nice stereo will make cruising around awesome. Premium plus package is a good deal and bundles a bunch of stuff that are more pricey on their own as individual options. If you had $85k to spend I would say get a loaded diesel. But for $79.99k I would skip it. Plus it will take you a long time to save $5k in gas.

Quick Reply: Contemplating Cayenne Purchase