Sponsored by:

Contemplating Cayenne Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 09:49 AM
zorba1331
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by philg3
1) The Bose: There is a Bose Audio package for $2,160 that includes the Bose System, CD Changer, and XM Radio. Or you can buy components of the system as I did, because I saw no use for the CD Changer as flash drives / built in hard drive are better ways to go IMO. The Bose System is $1,690 plus I added the HD Radio for $370. If you want XM, Bose package is the way to go. XM is subscription based starting at $14/mo for a basic package including traffic that goes to the NAV. HD Radio is relatively new to Porsche, and is not subscriptions based, although HD receives a royalty from manufactures for each unit sold. HD also has the capability of receiving traffic info, but not sure if Porsche integrated that feature to the NAV. If you like XM programming, don't mind paying a monthly fee, that may be the way to go. I have a friend that has XM in one vehicle and HD in another, both non-Porsches, and he prefers the HD -- says HD sound is better. But that's just one datapoint. Premium Plus package doesn't include the CD Changer.
I want the Bose and the XM, but not the changer. Is that possible?

2) The leather: The standard leather is very nice, but the full leather is exceptionally nice -- better quality of leather, nice stitching, leather on dash, etc. Go sit in a Turbo -- comes standard there, or any other C that has this option to get a feel for it. Gives the C a more luxurious feel; standard -- a more sporty / spartan feel IMO. As gnat, above mentioned, the standard leather in the current generation is a vast improvement over the previous generations. You can trade the full leather out for the diesel.
My big 'thing', is to get black leather with red stitching. I have been building cars on the website and get a little confused with it all at times, but I am assuming I need the full leather package for this. Does standard leather mean just the seats?

3) The hitch has been addressed, and it's far cheaper, better implementation to have the factory do it for about $650.
Yes, done deal for me. I will get it from factory.

4) Didn't get roof rails -- came on my 2004CT, never used them; basically if stuff doesn't fit in the cargo area, it just doesn't go. But if you think you may have a current or future need, get it.
Yeah, we use these. Golf clubs etc go up top for long trips. They are so annoying and take up so much space it is really nice to get them out of the way.

My CD is nearing the Panama Canal right now, so I should have it in a couple weeks. Build details are below:

Price Type RETAIL Pricing Status AVAIL Total Order$ 70,980
Port Of Entry SWA San Diego - U.S. Delivery
BSEMDL BASE Cayenne Diesel Y 55,750
BDYCLR N4 Dark Blue Metallic 790
TOPCLR N4 Dark Blue Metallic 0
INTERI MC Standard Interior Luxor Beige 0
OPTION EXT TPMS Y 0
OPTION 1D6 Trailer Hitch w/o Ball 650
OPTION 3FE Moonroof 0
OPTION 1N3 Power Steering Plus 0
OPTION C1Q 18" Cayenne S III Wheel 390
OPTION 1NP WheelHbCvr w/ColorPorscheCrest 185
OPTION 2ZH Heated3-spokeMultifuncSW 0
OPTION 9VL BOSE(R) Surround Sound System 1,690
OPTION PE5 14-way Power Seats-Memory Pkg 0
OPTION Q2J 14-way Power Seats-Memory Pkg 0
OPTION 2C4 Memory Package for Electric St 0
OPTION 3PN Memory Package for Electricall 0
OPTION PU3 Premium Package Plus 10,180
OPTION 3Y8 ElecRollupSunblindRearSideWind 0
OPTION 4A4 Heated Seats Front and Rear 0
OPTION 4D3 Seat Ventilation Front 0
OPTION 4L6 Auto Dimming Interior Rearview 0
OPTION 6XT Automatically Dimming Exterior 0
OPTION 7B6 12-Volt Outlet in Rear Center 0
OPTION 7T1 PCM with Navigation Module 0
OPTION 7X8 ReverCamera-ParkAssisFrontRear 0
OPTION 7Y1 Lane Change Assist (LCA) 0
OPTION 8EA Bi-Xenon(TM) Headlights w/PDLS 0
OPTION 9MB Dimmable Interior LED Lighting 0
OPTION QV3 HD Radio(R) Receiver 370
Sounds great. You must be very excited.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Good call on the roof rails all, I forgot to mention that!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by zorba1331
I want the Bose and the XM, but not the changer. Is that possible? .
Yes, it is possible. But more expensive than the package with the CD changer....go figure!

My big 'thing', is to get black leather with red stitching. I have been building cars on the website and get a little confused with it all at times, but I am assuming I need the full leather package for this. Does standard leather mean just the seats?
Yes, you do need to get the full leather to get the contrast stitching.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:10 AM
zorba1331
Instructor

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Yes, it is possible. But more expensive than the package with the CD changer....go figure!
Gotcha.

Yes, you do need to get the full leather to get the contrast stitching.
Then full leather it is! I am obsessed with the deviated stitching.

Also, can the auto start/stop be disabled?
Old 03-16-2013, 10:40 AM
Hud99
Advanced

Auto start stop is only for non diesel. If you're getting a diesel, it won't come with it. If the V6, there is a switch that turns it off.

On Red stitching, you can also get red seatbelts. What's your interior color?
Old 03-16-2013, 11:36 AM
zorba1331
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hud99
Auto start stop is only for non diesel. If you're getting a diesel, it won't come with it. If the V6, there is a switch that turns it off.
Yes, I am pretty sure it will be the V6. Glad you can disable it. I didn't like it.

On Red stitching, you can also get red seatbelts. What's your interior color?
I saw that. I think we will stick to black. Black interior with red stitching (have to put a little red for the Canadian in me ) and was originally going to go with red gauges, but white look decent too and my husband prefers them to the red. It will be my car though and I have to look at it every day, but I am second guessing the red just because the white looks decent too. I was hoping someone would have the red gauges and could let me know how they are in person.

I am willing to spend money on that little stuff, but not the fancy suspension haha. I figure though, the interior is for me to look at, and I am not that savvy that I will be able to really differentiate between the air or spring suspension.

All I can think about is that black leather with the red stitching though so it was an easy decision between the two.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:03 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Yes, I am pretty sure it will be the V6. Glad you can disable it. I didn't like it.

I saw that. I think we will stick to black. Black interior with red stitching (have to put a little red for the Canadian in me ) and was originally going to go with red gauges, but white look decent too and my husband prefers them to the red. It will be my car though and I have to look at it every day, but I am second guessing the red just because the white looks decent too. I was hoping someone would have the red gauges and could let me know how they are in person.

I am willing to spend money on that little stuff, but not the fancy suspension haha. I figure though, the interior is for me to look at, and I am not that savvy that I will be able to really differentiate between the air or spring suspension.

All I can think about is that black leather with the red stitching though so it was an easy decision between the two.
Sounds like you are finding your happy place for this option list!

We have the full leather with Blue and Black - subtle and love the feel and visible difference to the standard trims.
Didn't get coloured gauges, like your reason for getting the red faces though

I started off not liking the Start/Stop function. I disable it for general use, but when I am coming up on a signal light I know I am going to be stuck at for a while, I engage it.
Makes me feel good not burning fuel sitting around waiting for a light to change.

Someone once told me - it's not the options you choose you regret, it's the options you don't get you regret. Might be paraphrasing

After your order, you do have some time to change before the option list is "locked in". Ask them what that date is so you know the drop dead, this is what you now own date.

Good Luck!
Old 03-16-2013, 12:12 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After your order, you do have some time to change before the option list is "locked in". Ask them what that date is so you know the drop dead, this is what you now own date.
The final count down to "lock in" date is a grueling one, where you start even further obsessing about every option and detail - realizing this time it is really your last chance!

The only thing more tortuous is when they call you to say your car arrived, send you pictures of it wrapped in white plastic, and then tell you there is a three day backlog in prep! And the salesman is all to experiences in dealing with your "whatdoya mean 3 days, I need it NOW!"
Old 03-16-2013, 12:16 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne
The final count down to "lock in" date is a grueling one, where you start even further obsessing about every option realizing this time - it is really your last chance!

The only thing more tortuous is when they call you to say your car arrived, send you pictures of it wrapped in white plastic, and then tell you there is a three day backlog in prep!
Then there's the joy of picking her up in Germany, fresh from the factory!
You get to see, drive and enjoy her long before your dealer staff sees her

Followed by the separation from her as they take her back at the factory and you can't enjoy her till she arrives home
Old 03-17-2013, 01:00 PM
zorba1331
Instructor

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne
The final count down to "lock in" date is a grueling one, where you start even further obsessing about every option and detail - realizing this time it is really your last chance!
I can imagine!

The only thing more tortuous is when they call you to say your car arrived, send you pictures of it wrapped in white plastic, and then tell you there is a three day backlog in prep! And the salesman is all to experiences in dealing with your "whatdoya mean 3 days, I need it NOW!"
I don't know how I am going to be...I am already excited and I haven't even got it ordered yet. I have been pouring over the configuration daily. I have built about 4 different cars just to be sure it is the way I want it and I am not missing everything.

Originally Posted by RESP
Then there's the joy of picking her up in Germany, fresh from the factory!
You get to see, drive and enjoy her long before your dealer staff sees her

Followed by the separation from her as they take her back at the factory and you can't enjoy her till she arrives home
I am pretty excited about the idea of driving around Europe. We have the ED paperwork to fill out already. The guys at the dealership have been great. No issues or talk about trying to get me to eat the $2995 for the ED whatsoever.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:34 AM
zorba1331
Instructor

So my husband and I were in the dealer the other day and are just waiting to figure out when he can make it over to Europe and the dates of the plant closures so we can plan our trip. My job is to get the configuration how I want it which I think I have pretty much nailed down.

Here is what I have:

V6-White-Triptronic
Premium Package Plus
Leather Interior-Black
Trailer Hitch
Moonroof
Roof Rails in Matte Aluminum
Pwr Steering Plus
Auto Start/Stop
18" Cayenne Wheel
Multi Function Wheel incl. Heating
Instrument Dials in Guards Red
Sport Chrono Clock in Guards Red
14 Way- Power Seat w/Memory Package
Deviated Stitching Interior Package (Guards Red)
Bose Surround System
Telephone Module*
Sirius XM Radio

*Is this just so I can connect my phone via bluetooth and have it available to use through my radio/sound whatever?

I have gone back and forth on the Interior and Extended leather package but I am not sure it is necessary. Nice I am sure, but for another $2k or more, not sure I need it.

Hopefully we will get it ordered next week!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:23 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice options.

No you don't need the telephone module to use your phone via Bluetooth. That option lets your phone (not all phones support it) use the antenna that the option adds. Even the base stereo without Nav supports BT I believe.

On full vs extended leather, Porsche lets you get crazy. We went crazy on the 996 and have leather trimmed vent slats. When I get in someone else's 996 without all the leather, it feels cheap and unfinished to me. If we just had the "base" full leather package I don't know if the non leather bits would feel so cheap to me since I wouldn't have had any comparison. On the 958 I'm happy with the materials they used in the partial package so while I would like the full leather, I don't think I'd go nuts again.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:43 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. If your intent is to use BT, the telephone option is redundant. With it you get a wireless handset and programming that works with a SIM card (there's a little slot in the center console). Whereas the BT option relies on the phone antenna, the telephone option uses the external multi-purpose car antenna. Far as I'm concerned, it's only worth the investment if for some reason you actually want your car to have its own phone number. Seems silly to me, as callers would have no idea if/when you're actually IN your car to use that specific phone number.

I have the standard interior; partial leather seats. Most passengers cannot tell the difference between the leather parts and the synthetic parts. But I'm going to have to train myself to sit behind the wheel at a slight angle. When seated the same way I've sat in every previous car owned, the right bottom bolster rubs annoyingly on the outside of my thigh. I don't think this particular seat design and dimension would be good for folks with big butts, as the bolsters would rub permanently on both sides.

//greg//
Old 03-21-2013, 08:54 AM
dale59911
Rennlist Member

grrrrrr just when I thought I had my mind made up on what I wanted...I stumble on this thread. Back to the configurator.

Lots of great info on here!!

Quick question on the bluetooth function of the PCM...the list of "compatible" phones is pretty small. The techs at the ATT phone store are surprised that the system is that "picky". Any experience with phones not on the "list"?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:59 AM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts

All the phones should work on Bluetooth. The interface is standard.

Quick Reply: Contemplating Cayenne Purchase