Sponsored by:

reversing camera

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 09:50 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 96 Posts

Keep us posted. I came across a NAV-TV CAYNCAM unit on Pelican. Waiting to hear if the seller sold it or not. Only concern I have at this point is that the NAV-TV site was DOWN yesterday. I hope they are not going Tango-Uniform!

Keep us posted on progress. Now that my wife as her Cayenne Diesel and it has the backup camera, I'm pretty sure I need to retrofit something into my '08 GTS.

Toby
Old 07-19-2013, 02:14 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

The rear plastic trim piece (about 5"wide x width of hatch) just pops off, use a plastic spatula. I've had mine off a couple of times when I was repairing the OEM camera. It really wouldn't be hard to run a wire under that trim piece and up the right side of the hatch (where the OEM hatch wiring bundle goes) and then back down the inside by the OEM CD changer area and tap into one of the back-up lights. Depending on what you decide it may be worth it as it would only need to be the positive wire, ground locally.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:58 PM
Imola
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
The rear plastic trim piece (about 5"wide x width of hatch) just pops off, use a plastic spatula. I've had mine off a couple of times when I was repairing the OEM camera. It really wouldn't be hard to run a wire under that trim piece and up the right side of the hatch (where the OEM hatch wiring bundle goes) and then back down the inside by the OEM CD changer area and tap into one of the back-up lights. Depending on what you decide it may be worth it as it would only need to be the positive wire, ground locally.

from your previous post, I read that you tried two cameras to replace the OEM, one worked w/ 6 volt, I know it's been a while, do you have any link to that camera on ebay? In addition, do you mind sharing how did you wired it to the factory plug?
Old 07-19-2013, 03:26 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Before you go to all the trouble of doing the wiring.. why not pull out the PCM and see if the cable will input video to the PCM and if you can see it. That just requires hooking the camera directly to it (and a 12V power source.)

That would give the rest of us a hint if this is something we want to pursue..

And as far as your wiring.. dunno, my camera setup was made to be wireless. Has a cable from the wireless box to the camera for the rear. Mounted the wireless box in the rear starboard side cubby (where the CD changer and amp live) and connected powering it off a reverse light feed. I then ran the camera cable through the hatch (making a small hole behind the license plate - mine is a plate mounted camera - and sealing the cable through with RTV and a grommet..) Ran that cable up through the hatch, along the right side pivot arm, then down into the starboard side cubby where it plugged into the wireless transmitter.

So mine is only powered on when I'm in reverse. The monitor on mine was small enough (too small) that it could be mounted in the sunglass cubby in the center top console. Ran the wiring for it across the windshield above the roof-liner (you can just pull this down with your fingers) then down the starboard side A-pillar and hooked the power leads up to the fusebox, using a blank position for it.

Mine works - but I'd rather have it on the PCM.

So how about trying a hookup right at the PCM to see if you can get the video signal to display with that cable?
Old 07-19-2013, 04:41 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

I'll see if I can figure out which camera it was that worked off the 6v power supply. They both came with a "+" & "-" wire and a RCA output. I tested them both with my TV at home with just a 9V battery and both worked good. I then tested them in the Pig and only the one worked off the Pig's power lead. Yea I could have hooked up to 12V power elseware but the OEM power box only provided the 6V power when the OEM camera extends. I did have to get an RCA to Fakra adapter to make it work. The adapter came with a Female RCA to Male Fakra I believe. The Pig's wiring harness was a Female Fakra but the Camera also had a Female RCA so I found on Amazon a Male to Male RCA adapter, a nice gold plated piece for less than $10.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:04 PM
deilenberger
Banned

I'll see if I can figure out which camera it was that worked off the 6v power supply. They both came with a "+" & "-" wire and a RCA output. I tested them both with my TV at home with just a 9V battery and both worked good. I then tested them in the Pig and only the one worked off the Pig's power lead. Yea I could have hooked up to 12V power elseware but the OEM power box only provided the 6V power when the OEM camera extends. I did have to get an RCA to Fakra adapter to make it work. The adapter came with a Female RCA to Male Fakra I believe. The Pig's wiring harness was a Female Fakra but the Camera also had a Female RCA so I found on Amazon a Male to Male RCA adapter, a nice gold plated piece for less than $10.
So this means you have plugged it in and it works with the PCM? Only in reverse or do you have to use the VIDEO button to turn it on?
Old 07-19-2013, 06:16 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

I have a '06 CTTS which came with the factory camera. The OEM camera went bad a few years ago but every time I went into reverse the unit still extended so I knew that part still worked. Porsche wanted over $1500 for camera/extension unit (not sold separately). I finally pulled it apart and basically just installed an aftermarket camera in the old location.
On another note, my original PCM went bad and I purchased an Ebay unit (newer 17/08 manufacture date) and low and behold I got everything back (Sat radio, dash compass) except the camera (newer unit wasn't coded) so I took it to the dealer and they coded the PCM for the backup camera and all is well (except I didn't really notice until later that they lost my dash compass, so I'll have to go back for that someday.).
Old 07-19-2013, 08:32 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Before you go to all the trouble of doing the wiring.. why not pull out the PCM and see if the cable will input video to the PCM and if you can see it. That just requires hooking the camera directly to it (and a 12V power source.)

*SNIP*

So how about trying a hookup right at the PCM to see if you can get the video signal to display with that cable?
My understanding is the PCM needs to be coded for it and it is either a pal/ntsc signal going in. If it doesnt work, I will either get a a navtv unit or something when I feel like it or leave it in. I know that this sounds weird, but pulling the PCM is the easy part, and I would rather leave that last

I may just run the wire under the carpet. With these newer cars and airbags, I don't feel comfortable running along doors, pillars.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:34 PM
touareg
Drifting

On my 05, the hatch is 95% carpeted, then a strip that covers the back of the wiper motor, are you talking about that?
Old 07-20-2013, 01:08 AM
virkdoc
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought it was discussed in forums long ago that even if you connect a camera to the PCM it will not work cos it says AV not available....so coding has to be done ( from what i have read here)
And no one as yet has figured out how to code because it has to be done on PIWIS and its not possible with Durametric
Old 07-20-2013, 02:17 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

touareg, I'm talking about the plastic strip on the outside of the hatch just below the wiper arm, as I said it is about 4 or 5" wide and goes the width of the hatch. Just pry on it carefully and it will pop loose.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 96 Posts

Curious if anyone here has any experience with the Jemko Systems Reversing Camera? They claim good integration with the PCM2.1 unit. And their price is better than NAV-TV. Plus, does anyone know if NAV-TV is still around? Their website has been down for a few days now.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:26 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Toby

Remember the frustration of trying the magic headlamp trick ? Well can you also remember when you got the GTS WITH the headlights you so desired.

WELL.... might it be time for a trade in ? Lifes not getting longer lol

Mike
Old 07-20-2013, 05:40 PM
touareg
Drifting

Well, maybe I am just lazy, or don't care that much, but I started to pull the panels apart and got to a point were the camera screw holes are too close together. So unless I make the holes into slots, the camera won't mount right and I think I am not going to bother with this mod anymore.

The LED lights up fine, and doesn't trigger any errors.

Here are some photos I started.

I pulled the right hand side side panel off were the wire harness is (one of them) and then proceeded to get the outside strip off.

Not sure about the butter knife method, but I pushed in a tab on the right side and pulled the whole thing off easily, no broken clips!

Name:  2013-07-20143700_zps6f81d5bc.jpg
Views: 2820
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  2013-07-20143719_zps0198aa61.jpg
Views: 2805
Size:  61.5 KB

The clip hole for the wire cover (also removed 2 screws not seen here)

Name:  2013-07-20143707_zps4e343898.jpg
Views: 2824
Size:  58.3 KB

Guess it needs a cleaning after 8 years. I looked and am confused, there seems to be no access to the body from here, unless I drill a hole and it looks like water runs down here, so that would not be a good idea.

Name:  2013-07-20143928_zpsfe70c744.jpg
Views: 2817
Size:  126.9 KB

So I pulled of the right hand light thought it would look best on that side.

Name:  2013-07-20150857_zps314b5415.jpg
Views: 2797
Size:  53.7 KB

This is the point I saw that the light would not mount clean. But in the spirit of rennlist, I decided to power on.

I fed the wires in the hole.

Name:  2013-07-20150914_zpsd65aa270.jpg
Views: 2811
Size:  61.4 KB

Pressed it up, holes don't match.

Name:  2013-07-20153730_zps0b5a13bc.jpg
Views: 2809
Size:  53.5 KB

But I decided to pull the trim a bit, I undid the inside handle hatch screws and popped the right hand side lower carpet corner out (Those finicky metal clips)

I was able to then reach up and pull the wires through, the corner mount for the clip is in the foreground

Name:  2013-07-20150754_zps31b7b90e.jpg
Views: 2789
Size:  45.0 KB

Reference for the hatch handle.

Name:  2013-07-20150827_zps98d8686b.jpg
Views: 2828
Size:  99.4 KB

At this point it should not be too hard to run the wires up the window frame into the car, but I stopped.

According to this thread, I could then run my yellow cable to the PCM.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...ack-up-camera/

If someone in Boston is interested in my gear you can have it for what I paid, or trade me a steak dinner for it
Old 07-20-2013, 06:50 PM
deilenberger
Banned

So close and you quit? Bummer..

Quick Reply: reversing camera