reversing camera

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 01:18 PM
menorcarob
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reversing camera

hi
i have a Cayenne S 2006 4.5 petrol, it has a PCM2.1, it does not have a reversing camera and i felt i needed one, so i bought a wireless setup and a PCA to green fakra cable, eventauly got all the bits, tried the camera on the TV indoors and it works fine, put it in the car with the fakra cable and nothing, when i press AV it says "AV not available" what do i need to do?

thanks
Old 05-17-2012, 06:40 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think those require a separate mini tv screen, unless you can a) add a TV module to the PCM ($400) and b) the module frequency range is compatible with the camera.

You will also have to have the dealer involved to code the Module into the system
Old 05-17-2012, 11:23 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

You only need to get the PCM coded for the AV input to work. I just went through this on my '06 Turbo S when the OEM camera failed and Porsche wanted over $1500 for a new camera/telescoping motor setup (my motor still worked fine). The control box on OEM equipped Cayennes only controls the motor and supplies the voltage (6.5V) for the camera. The camera output signal goes through a FAKRA connector all the way to the front and connects into the back of the PCM. I hooked up a 9V batter to an Ebay camera and plugged it in directly to my PCM through a RCA video to Fakra adapter and the camera worked as good or better than OEM. I just adapted the mounts for the OEM telescoping setup, figured I might as well use it since it was there and worked. Many of the aftermarket kits just replace one of the license plate lights with a angled camera. You will need your PCM coded for the backup camera if it didn't have it before. My OEM PCM failed and I bought a newer (2007 PCM2.1) from Ebay and plugged it in and got my dash compass & Satellite radio back but not the A/V. I took it to the dealer and it took 15 minutes or less for them to recode the PCM.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:10 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Don't you have to have a reversing camera capable PCM ?
Old 05-18-2012, 11:07 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

From what I've seen, and I've seen about 10 PCM 2.1 units, all of them have had the video input in the back, but Porsche does have to enable the Port. I don't know about PCM 2.0 though, did any of the 2003-2004 Cayennes have a reversing camera?
Old 05-18-2012, 11:20 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

There were no reversing cameras on 2.0, there were add-on TV modules but not in the US.

I always thought the RC was part of the AV module plugin module from Becker and not standard issue on 2.1.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:24 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thread but I'm confused.

For my truck, it's an 05 with DVD... so that's PCM 2.1?

To add a reversing camera, what items do I need?

Tnx
Old 05-18-2012, 12:15 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Its never an easy question to answer with the Cayenne since Porsche tend not to put anything on that's not used except 1 thing which is pre wiring for the CD Changer.

I dont know if all 2.1's are pre wired for reversing Camera and certainly nothing in PET gives enough indication of changes etc needed but that's not a surprise from them.

I have not checked TSB's but wonder if there is one to add the reversing camera
Old 05-18-2012, 01:36 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the response.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:04 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

http://www.al-eds.com/NavTV-NTV-KIT110-p21429.html
Old 05-20-2012, 04:08 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

As some with the OEM reversing camera may search this post I'll say a bit on my replacement of the OEM reversing camera. Mine would still extend but the picture was blank when it failed. I checked the power going to the camera and it was 6.5V so I first thought the power module that supplies the camera voltage as well as power for the extending motor was bad (assumed wrongly that it should just be 12V). I ordered the module but also ruined the OEM camera taking it apart so I ordered two different cameras off of Ebay, one cost $25 w/shipping the other $30 with shipping. The pictures of them looked a lot like the OEM camera but when I got them the mounting was slightly different and they had a female RCA video output. I hooked up a 9V battery for power and using a common Mercedes aftermarket RCA to Fakra adapter I got a great picture from both cameras. I did find that one of the cameras wouldn't operate on the 6.5V but the other did so that is the one I obvioudly used. As a bonus both cameras came with a colored back up area markings when displayed to judge distances. I messed around with the stock camera mount (under the trim piece) and along with that and a little Silicone sealant I had the camera operational as good or better than OEM for cheap.
Porsche would only sell the whole reversing assembly with the extension motor and camera for $1500. I had just fixed my failed camera for less than $100 including two cameras purchased, one RCA Fakra to female RCA adapter (couldn't find a Fakra to male RCA adapter) and one RCA male to male adapter (Amazon, gold plated, $6). While I had it apart I lubricated the OEM extension worm drives with some fresh Silicone grease to hopefully extend their lives. As I mentioned, the Fakra connector under the rear hatch trim goes from the Camera all the way up to the PCM head unit, I could see the possibility of the wires in the hatch pivot being a failure point too but I did a lot of searching and found a lot of camera failures and others had either left them alone due to the high cost of spent the money on the OEM unit.
P.S. I did contact the American subsidiary of the company that makes the unit for Porsche and they declined assistance, just said see Porsche for help.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:31 AM
Mefis
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
You only need to get the PCM coded for the AV input to work. I just went through this on my '06 Turbo S when the OEM camera failed and Porsche wanted over $1500 for a new camera/telescoping motor setup (my motor still worked fine). The control box on OEM equipped Cayennes only controls the motor and supplies the voltage (6.5V) for the camera. The camera output signal goes through a FAKRA connector all the way to the front and connects into the back of the PCM. I hooked up a 9V batter to an Ebay camera and plugged it in directly to my PCM through a RCA video to Fakra adapter and the camera worked as good or better than OEM. I just adapted the mounts for the OEM telescoping setup, figured I might as well use it since it was there and worked. Many of the aftermarket kits just replace one of the license plate lights with a angled camera. You will need your PCM coded for the backup camera if it didn't have it before. My OEM PCM failed and I bought a newer (2007 PCM2.1) from Ebay and plugged it in and got my dash compass & Satellite radio back but not the A/V. I took it to the dealer and it took 15 minutes or less for them to recode the PCM.
Hahnmgh63: I want to enable my PCM2.1 head unit for an aftermarket camera (installing the fakra cable) but my dealership here in Oregon is clueless about it, i tried to explain your post but he looked like a donkey in front of a piano. can you recommend the dealership that gave you this recoding service? post their invoice or something that would let these guys know that this is possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:14 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Sure, it was Barrier Porsche in Redmond, Washington. I just told them I had a new PCM installed and that everything worked fine as the old one (Satellite Radio, Compass in Display) except the Reversing Camera. So they hooked up their PIWIS and after a few minutes came back in and said all was well. They did have some connectivity problems for a little while and I attributed that to the Mobridge I had installed but they finally got their connectivity and recoded the PCM. It should be the Yellowish/Tan connector on the back. Is that the one you plugged into or are you replacing an OEM reversing camera?
Old 06-08-2013, 07:36 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Thinking of doing this in my car.

Since there are a lot of suppliers on ebay etc for a fakra rca mercedes video cable, i want to make sure I get the correct one.

Do you know the type of Fakra cable? E, Z etc?

Was thinking of trying the wireless to save on my sanity wiring from the hatch.

http://dx.com/p/universal-2-4g-wirel...a-av-in-116308

And a camera similar to this:
http://dx.com/p/waterproof-ccd-car-r...-12v-961184946

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2013, 07:40 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Is this the correct cable?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-FOR...520#vi-content

Quick Reply: reversing camera