reversing camera

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 10:52 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 620 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris51080
Now its down to troubleshooting. I powered up the camera by tapping into the right reverse light power (black with blue stripe) and grounded at one of the grounding lugs on the right side of the spare tire.

Put the car in reverse, and only a blank screen, with red warning letters, on the PCM.
Hooked up a monitor to the camera feed, and was able to get an image. However sending a video signal from the back of the car up to the PCM still resulted in a black screen.

I'll have to go up to the head unit itself, feed a signal there and make sure that works. If so, I'll pull a new RCA from PCM to camera.

Oh well, Im 90% there. The hardest part is done.
Did you use a NavTV module? Why are some people saying this is necessary?
Old 09-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Did you use a NavTV module? Why are some people saying this is necessary?
The PCM in the 08's (and probably other years) does not require any additional module. There is a video input on the back of the unit that just needs to be activated by the dealer. It automatically switches to this input when the vehicle is put in reverse.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:22 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The PCM in the 08's (and probably other years) does not require any additional module. There is a video input on the back of the unit that just needs to be activated by the dealer. It automatically switches to this input when the vehicle is put in reverse.
Thanks, that's what I thought but it was not specifically noted throughout the thread.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:16 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Here is what I remember from my old memory.
PCM 2.0 was in the 2003-2004
-CD Based
-Modules for TV/Phone/Compass (Slots in bottom rear of unit)
PCM 2.1 first rev was in the 2005
-DVD Based (under the seat)
-Modules are MOST fiber based I believe (Slots no longer used)
PCM 2.1 2nd rev was in the 2006-2008
-DVD Based (under the seat)
-Phone Buttons added
-Modules are MOST fiber based I believe (Slots no longer used)
PCM 3.0 was in the 2009-2010.
-HD Based maps
-Touch Screen
PCM 3.1 was in the 2011-present
Old 09-23-2013, 09:33 PM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

I never bothered to provide an update on why I had no image appearing on the PCM.

Im slightly embarrassed to admit it, but when I was installing the PCM, I had to pull the video cable out of the way to get the PCM fully seated in the dash. In the process of doing that, I disconnected the RCA cable from the Fakra/RCA connector. Lesson learned, even though the connection appeared to be secure, always use a wrap or two of electrical tape on the connections.

Touareg did most of the legwork on this one, I read through his posts and decided to give it a go myself.

So, to recap whats required:

PCM with video input (2.1 has this built in. Earlier models may need an additional module). If you dont already get the backup screen when you are in reverse, your dealer will need to program this function in.

Fakra to RCA adapter. Can be found on Ebay, I used the Fakra Z connector.

Reverse Camera. Sourced on ebay, around $20. I used one very similar to the one Touareg tried out. It replaces one of your license plate lights. I will caution you, that it does require slotting of the mounting holes. The holes on the unit I received were too close together to line up properly with the Cayenne mounting points.

You'll also need some additional thin gauge wiring, to get from a reverse power source, I tapped into the wiring of the reverse bulb in my right tail light.

The most difficult part for me was at the tailgate work . The removal of the trim was tricky, but I just had to pull HARD, and no problem. From there, routing of the wiring into the cabin was done through a grommet by the right hinge. Down the headliner into the area next to the CD changer. Power was connected to the reverse wire here. The RCA cable continued under the carpeting up to the head unit.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:20 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I tapped into the wiring of the reverse bulb in my right tail light.

The most difficult part for me was at the tailgate work . The removal of the trim was tricky, but I just had to pull HARD, and no problem. From there, routing of the wiring into the cabin was done through a grommet by the right hinge. Down the headliner into the area next to the CD changer. Power was connected to the reverse wire here. The RCA cable continued under the carpeting up to the head unit.
Hi Chris - can you please elaborate on which wires you tapped into for the reverse tail-light, and then the "reverse wire" up near the PCM (color, location, etc.)? I'm going with the wireless route to see if that saves me from running a cable but I still need to tap into each location.

Thank you!!
Old 10-06-2013, 05:01 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Chris - I'd be interested in the headunit info also. Right now I have a wireless PEAK backup camera with the display in the sunglass compartment. The size of the display makes it of marginal usefullness.. but I think the display may have a video output so I'm thinking of running that down to the video input on the PCM.. is this wire needed to trigger the display on the PCM or is it triggered automatically if you have video enabled?
Old 10-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Chris - I'd be interested in the headunit info also. Right now I have a wireless PEAK backup camera with the display in the sunglass compartment. The size of the display makes it of marginal usefullness.. but I think the display may have a video output so I'm thinking of running that down to the video input on the PCM.. is this wire needed to trigger the display on the PCM or is it triggered automatically if you have video enabled?
It looks like you have an 06 Cayenne, which should have the same PCM 2.1 as I have.

If you pull out your PCM, you should see a Fakra connector on the top right when looking at the back of the unit. This is the video input.
Get an appropriate connector, I used RCA to Fakra, and hook it up. You will need your dealer to reprogram the PCM to switch to this video input when in reverse.
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2013, 10:49 PM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Hi Chris - can you please elaborate on which wires you tapped into for the reverse tail-light, and then the "reverse wire" up near the PCM (color, location, etc.)? I'm going with the wireless route to see if that saves me from running a cable but I still need to tap into each location.

Thank you!!
Other than running a video cable and hooking up to the video input on the back of the PCM, all of the work is in the back of the cayenne.

The reverse wire at the tail light assembly is found within a bundle near the CD changer. I'll take a photo later when I get home.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:23 AM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am relocating my OEM camera to one of the license plate lights since my retracting motor is on the fritz. Can anyone provide the link to the camera that worked with the OEM wiring. I will get the fakra z connetor and will try to splice into the power wiring but concerned about the voltage. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:10 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If the camera is wired to the reverse light, that means it will ONLY work while in reverse. But it seems the factory PCM behavior is to keep the camera active for the 30 seconds or so after going in reverse even when Drive is selected; also the PCM allows you to switch on the camera manually with the AV button. Why not wire the camera so it has voltage at all times which would let it operate whenever the PCM AV is activated? Does the camera burn out quickly which is why it's only active on an as-needed basis?
Old 10-08-2013, 11:33 PM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

If the camera is wired to the reverse light, that means it will ONLY work while in reverse. But it seems the factory PCM behavior is to keep the camera active for the 30 seconds or so after going in reverse even when Drive is selected; also the PCM allows you to switch on the camera manually with the AV button. Why not wire the camera so it has voltage at all times which would let it operate whenever the PCM AV is activated? Does the camera burn out quickly which is why it's only active on an as-needed basis?
You're correct, but most of the eBay cameras are so cheap, that I was uncomfortable powering them full time.

Regarding the camera, just search on eBay for the cayenne reverse camera.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:49 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I guess I'll find out how long it lasts with power full time while the accessories are powered. It's a pain pulling apart the hatch panel, so hopefully the camera doesn't die quickly!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:07 AM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

You could always wire up a 12v delay relay. Set it for a minute or so.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:57 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So the PCM must have a time delay output... anyone have a pin-out diagram of the PCM? There are only like 6 wires coming out of the back of my unit...

Quick Reply: reversing camera