reversing camera

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:25 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
So close and you quit? Bummer..
Yeah, the camera not fitting and given the fact I ordered it from China, probably not worth returning, was only $15. Also still have not got the wireless kit, and that was another $15. Can't remember what I paid for the cable, less than $10, so I am not out that much. I should not have trusted the auction that said it fit a cayenne

It really would not fit without hacking up the plastic for the camera, and I am not into that, I want it to look OEMish. It also started to pour here at that time, and with the hatch half apart, I couldn't close it all the way, so I had to button it back up, and if I had to button it back up without a camera installed.... So I pulled it all out. If there is a power point in there everything could be run wireless easily. But all there is power for is the wiper, cargo lights, license plate lights, power close assist and defroster, which probably doesn't go down there.

I looked again on ebay and this camera seem to be what I/We need as it has more wiggle room. But I still think it is too small, I need to measure the holes. I checked on my touareg, this won't fit either.

If anyone around Boston does not mind hacking it in a little, I don't mind giving all the stuff away for free if they let me install on their car

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-12-Pors...e01a62&vxp=mtr
Old 07-20-2013, 10:00 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Curious if anyone here has any experience with the Jemko Systems Reversing Camera? They claim good integration with the PCM2.1 unit. And their price is better than NAV-TV. Plus, does anyone know if NAV-TV is still around? Their website has been down for a few days now.
I actually do. I just finished the rear view camera install on my 2013 Diesel. It came out great. I even got the wireless to work.

So I used:
Jemko Camera for the Cayenne 958
Nav TV PCM 3.0 interface
2.4 GHz wireless transmitter and receiver

Just make sure you order the correct Jemko camera for the 958. I ordered the Cayenne 955/957 one at first and still have it in the case someone is interested.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:33 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

OCNYPORSCHE - thanks for the feedback. If my deal for the NAV-TV setup falls through, I will give the Jemko boys a call.

toureg - totally understand the frustration.

Mudman2 - I just *like* tweaking the tiger's tail from time to time. I'll be hard-pressed to go get another GTS since we just bought a 2013 diesel for my wife. And besides, I still have another 12 months and 40,000 miles before I'm nekkid! Did see a fully optioned 2013 GTS at Autobahn in Fort Worth. VERY nice..... but alas, it's an automatic. I *love* beating around in my 6-speed GTS!
Old 07-22-2013, 04:57 PM
touareg
Drifting

So I emailed the vendor telling them the camera won't fit. They are asking for my measurements, so it sounds like they may send me a replacement camera.

Will let others know.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

The lack of a reverse camera on my GTS is going to need to be fixed.

I came across this as a possible solution, integrated camera and rear hatch handle.

http://car-solutions.com/en/tailgate...en-touareg.php

I'll have to check some measurements when I get home.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:39 AM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

I ended up buying the same reversing camera as Touareg, it replaces one of the factory license plate lights. Mine had the same issue, where the holes did not line up, so I broke out the dremel and slotted them out. Also, you need to remove the original gasket from the LP light, and use it on the camera. Once those two things are done, the LP camera fits fine. Its not perfect, but it is not going to cause any issues.

I also ran my RCA from the front of the car to the right rear of the car, by the factory CD changer.
Does anyone have any tips for getting up the D pillar, and down the hatch?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:03 AM
touareg
Drifting

Search around for rear shock hatch replacement. There is a space that is covered with a foam triangle and goo that you have to pull out on the inside roof area. That is the space that separates the inside from the outside.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:07 AM
boonewe
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i replace the faulty stock reverse camera with the aftermarket one. DIY here:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutor...-stock-camera/
Old 08-24-2013, 06:44 PM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Got to spend 15 minutes on it this morning; pulled out the PCM unit, installed the fakra/RCA adapter and routed the RCA cable to the head unit itself.

Sometime next week I'll go get the reverse input activated at the dealership and then mess around with camera mounting options.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:37 PM
touareg
Drifting

Awesome, hope it works.

I am selling/trading in my old car, so I doubt the pcm 3.0 will allow this same exact mod if it works.

I will have my old kit up for sale if anyone wants it.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:56 AM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Spent a bit of time on the camera today. I had my local dealer activate the reverse video input, and got most of the installation done in two hours.

The most difficult part was removing the rear hatch trim panel. Once you remove the three plastic pieces around the window, and the three screws at the handle on the bottom right of the panel; just pull. Hard. Really, pull till the panel comes off.

I got the camera mounted in place of the left license plate light.
Ran power and video lines across the hatch, thru the grommet on the side, and toward the hinge. Once there, fished the lines to the interior, and down the D-panel.

I'll make the last power connections to the reverse lights tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:26 PM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Now its down to troubleshooting. I powered up the camera by tapping into the right reverse light power (black with blue stripe) and grounded at one of the grounding lugs on the right side of the spare tire.

Put the car in reverse, and only a blank screen, with red warning letters, on the PCM.
Hooked up a monitor to the camera feed, and was able to get an image. However sending a video signal from the back of the car up to the PCM still resulted in a black screen.

I'll have to go up to the head unit itself, feed a signal there and make sure that works. If so, I'll pull a new RCA from PCM to camera.

Oh well, Im 90% there. The hardest part is done.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:04 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Yea, sounds like the coding for the PCM is correct but just not getting the video signal. Sounds like your trouble shooting is right on. Where did you get the power feed for your camera from?
Old 09-01-2013, 10:38 AM
touareg
Drifting

Not that I have ever heard of it, but I suppose the signal could be too weak to travel that far on the cable?

Was it the cable that came with the camera?
Old 09-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

The power for the camera came from the right reverse light. I intercepted the wiring harness near the CD changer, and spliced with a vampire clip.

The RCA is the one that came with the kit. I also thought that the cable could be fine, but just too weak of a signal to be useable. It is possible, but I'm used to that happening over longer distances. I'll check that out after vacation by hooking up an external monitor to the video feed behind the PCM.

Quick Reply: reversing camera