Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2021 | 04:15 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GlenGT3
Question for everyone here. How many of you are actually looking to purchase a 997 GT3 and how many (like me) are owners just interested in the market for these cars, but not currently looking to buy? From those that are actually in the market to buy, how many are looking for a "deal" and how many are looking for their perfect spec/mileage/color car, with price being a secondary concern?
At this point, actually both. I searched for months at absolutely the wrong time, but was fortunate to find a car that wasn't officially for sale or on the market. Now, not only do I like to offer my - admittedly limited - advise to new buyers, but I've fallen into the trap of wanting more cars, so I'm keeping my eye on the markets for 3s, RSs, and GT2s. It might be a few more years, but I'd like to stay fresh on what's developing.
Old 11-09-2021 | 04:21 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
I bought my GT3RS from Canada with Doug's help 7 years ago. It is true that US buyers don't want to deal with importing a car, the one I bought sat on the market for 8 months! The truth is, if you have the import paperwork in order, it is not difficult at all. Doug took care of that for me. I did some sleuthing and discovered the original US title, so I didn't even have to pay duty to re-import it. Drove it across the border myself. Best car purchase I've ever made!
Mine's a CN BaT car. I definitely think that played a role in pricing. This is the 2nd CN car I've imported both were pretty straight forward. One I did myself; the other I hired an importer because, well...Covid.

Not sure what the lower value perception is based on for imported cars as the only things I can tell on both cars that varies between markets are the analog speedo and omission of Homelink on CN cars. Otherwise, they are exactly the same cars delivered to both territories. I hope to never sell this one so it shouldn't matter
Old 11-09-2021 | 04:46 PM
RallyBird
Rennlist Member

Question for everyone here. How many of you are actually looking to purchase a 997 GT3 and how many (like me) are owners just interested in the market for these cars, but not currently looking to buy? From those that are actually in the market to buy, how many are looking for a "deal" and how many are looking for their perfect spec/mileage/color car, with price being a secondary concern?
I have wanted a 997 GT3 (preferably an RS) since 2010. I'm finally in a position to make a move on a car but I also want a car that I can drive and put miles on. With current prices that is getting harder to stomach. At the same time there's nothing else that I really want.

If anyone has a modified (preferably Shark Werks motor) 997 GT3 or RS they are looking to sell I'm interested!

Old 11-09-2021 | 04:58 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RallyBird
I have wanted a 997 GT3 (preferably an RS) since 2010. I'm finally in a position to make a move on a car but I also want a car that I can drive and put miles on. With current prices that is getting harder to stomach. At the same time there's nothing else that I really want.

If anyone has a modified (preferably Shark Werks motor) 997 GT3 or RS they are looking to sell I'm interested!
Putting miles on a car that is going up in value in my mind should be easier. Your car will hold value while getting to enjoy. Insurance, specifically agreed value, also takes the concern out of driving it. If you want a 997 GT3, I'd highly recommend making the move when the right one comes up. There are still opportunities here and there to get the right car. Since you have the budget for an RS, you may want to consider getting a nicer 997 GT3.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bxstr:
Robocop305 (11-10-2021), rrichmondd (11-09-2021), zshecht7792 (11-09-2021)
Old 11-09-2021 | 06:54 PM
HOTRODGT3
4th Gear

Default ORIGINAL OWNERS ?

I am amazed when you look at one of the details on GT3's currently for sale specifically, the large number of previous owners the Carfax reveals on many of them . One particular 2010 model currently on PCAR shows a current total of 10 and multiple cross country transports to accommodate the transactions.. Maybe I am naïve but it makes me curious if there are any original owners , like me, of the relatively small population of 997 GT3's .
Old 11-09-2021 | 07:18 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

As with anything in life. If have the means and you want it. GET IT! You will not regret a .2 RS. There are so few of them and you can bet that car will be worth a mint in the future. Drive it, Take care of it, and you won't lose.
Old 11-09-2021 | 07:41 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

I'm hoping for the same experience I have enjoyed with my 1991 964 Turbo,... which my wife & I have owned for close to 20 yrs, and have contributed heavily to the 80,000 miles on the car. It is Concours winning quality & we drive it all the time (constantly putting $$ into it too, but that kind of maintenance is expected and gives us the confidence we desire to continue driving it for many years to come).

But the BIG point here, is that MILES do not matter on that car. It is 30 yrs old and miles matter SO little compared to the quality of the car.

Similarly, my hope is that in another 20 yrs, the miles on my 2010 GT3 will ALSO not matter to any potential buyer. What matters more is the prominence, the TLC & level of maintenance the car has received over 30+ yrs.
The following users liked this post:
zshecht7792 (11-09-2021)
Old 11-09-2021 | 07:59 PM
Don Gamble
Intermediate

I sent you a PM
Old 11-09-2021 | 08:37 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HOTRODGT3
I am amazed when you look at one of the details on GT3's currently for sale specifically, the large number of previous owners the Carfax reveals on many of them . One particular 2010 model currently on PCAR shows a current total of 10 and multiple cross country transports to accommodate the transactions.. Maybe I am naïve but it makes me curious if there are any original owners , like me, of the relatively small population of 997 GT3's .
Most just don’t keep cars that long. Especially just your general car guy. Lots want to taste the rainbow and experience lots of different cars or lots of different models. Many of my friends get in and out of cars every year or couple of years. So It’s not surprising when you see a 997 GT3 with 5+ owners. For me, 997 GT3 is everything I could ever want in a car and I hope to hold onto mine long term. Many of the previous owners of my car moved onto RS’. One moved onto 991 GT3 and regretted that move. First owner of my car was an older individual and after 5 years of ownership wanted to get into a Mercedes for something more comfortable.

Originally Posted by bweSteve
I'm hoping for the same experience I have enjoyed with my 1991 964 Turbo,... which my wife & I have owned for close to 20 yrs, and have contributed heavily to the 80,000 miles on the car. It is Concours winning quality & we drive it all the time (constantly putting $$ into it too, but that kind of maintenance is expected and gives us the confidence we desire to continue driving it for many years to come).

But the BIG point here, is that MILES do not matter on that car. It is 30 yrs old and miles matter SO little compared to the quality of the car.

Similarly, my hope is that in another 20 yrs, the miles on my 2010 GT3 will ALSO not matter to any potential buyer. What matters more is the prominence, the TLC & level of maintenance the car has received over 30+ yrs.
Agree completely Steve. Buy, drive and enjoy. Miles and condition can be completely disconnected. Plenty of low mileage, not well cared for cars. Plenty of high mileage cars with proper paint and mechanical care.

Unforunately, I think to some extent miles will always be in the cards in relation to value, but as you mentioned, at 30 years old, likely not as much of a consideration, at least for any car with more than 50k miles. The bubble wrapped cars will always bring a crazy premium. Everything in the driver category will likely be based more on condition and service history.
Robocop305 (11-10-2021)
Old 11-09-2021 | 08:43 PM
zshecht7792
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Most just don’t keep cars that long. Especially just your general car guy. Lots want to taste the rainbow and experience lots of different cars or lots of different models. Many of my friends get in and out of cars every year or couple of years. So It’s not surprising when you see a 997 GT3 with 5+ owners. For me, 997 GT3 is everything I could ever want in a car and I hope to hold onto mine long term. Many of the previous owners of my car moved onto RS’. One moved onto 991 GT3 and regretted that move. First owner of my car was an older individual and after 5 years of ownership wanted to get into a Mercedes for something more comfortable.

Agree completely Steve. Buy, drive and enjoy. Miles and condition can be completely disconnected. Plenty of low mileage, not well cared for cars. Plenty of high mileage cars with proper paint and mechanical care.

Unforunately, I think to some extent miles will always be in the cards in relation to value, but as you mentioned, at 30 years old, likely not as much of a consideration, at least for any car with more than 50k miles. The bubble wrapped cars will always bring a crazy premium. Everything in the driver category will likely be based more on condition and service history.
Yeah if I ever sold mine you would be looking at a 2 owner car. But most likely I'll get buried in it hehe. Only other car for me to get rid of this one is some kind of blue RS.
Old 11-09-2021 | 08:45 PM
zshecht7792
Rennlist Member

Steve I want that 1994 964 turbo in tahoe blue at RFMC. 101k miles but you would never know that based on how it presents. May be the nicest 964 turbo i have ever seen.
Old 11-09-2021 | 08:46 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zshecht7792
Yeah if I ever sold mine you would be looking at a 2 owner car. But most likely I'll get buried in it hehe. Only other car for me to get rid of this one is some kind of blue RS.
Yours is too good and you searched too long - I hope you don’t sell, even if it was for an RS. As you build up time in your car and make more memories, selling, even for a better car, gets more and more challenging.
Old 11-09-2021 | 08:56 PM
zshecht7792
Rennlist Member

Yours is too good and you searched too long - I hope you don’t sell, even if it was for an RS. As you build up time in your car and make more memories, selling, even for a better car, gets more and more challenging.
There is something about the .1s that make me like em more than the .2s. Not sure what it is; hard to describe. Maybe if there is a .1 RS blue unicorn out there but if not, this is perfection to me. Now I just need a blue aircooled turbo.....
Robocop305 (11-10-2021)
Old 11-09-2021 | 10:48 PM
KDAWG97M3
Rennlist Member

. I love my 1991 Turbo!!!!!!

I am a owner who just follows this madness…
Old 11-09-2021 | 11:21 PM
RallyBird
Rennlist Member

Putting miles on a car that is going up in value in my mind should be easier. Your car will hold value while getting to enjoy. Insurance, specifically agreed value, also takes the concern out of driving it. If you want a 997 GT3, I'd highly recommend making the move when the right one comes up. There are still opportunities here and there to get the right car. Since you have the budget for an RS, you may want to consider getting a nicer 997 GT3.
Yes, that's another way to look at it. Once I find the right car the value won't really matter because I won't be planning to replace it.

Originally Posted by Strimdog
As with anything in life. If have the means and you want it. GET IT! You will not regret a .2 RS. There are so few of them and you can bet that car will be worth a mint in the future. Drive it, Take care of it, and you won't lose.
Agreed!

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...