Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 12:25 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 612 Posts

Airbag light isn't as always terrible, if you disconnect either of your seats and then connect the battery the airbag light will permanent trigger. Put any of the correct porsche seats back in w/airbag and then reset the code should be fine. Sensor damage... unlikely, your just looking at user error.

99k is high for that car because you'd need $ to get it back to normal... seats 4k, stock rims/tires 4k, seals/bushings 4k.

However with that much body work it would make a great track car. But you still need another $20k into it for that, replace the LSD, clutch, flywheel, control arms, adjustables, pin the lines, replace the seals, tires etc, With the cage, seats etc thats prob $5k savings.

You might not get what you put back into it unless they sell it to you for $75k imo... so I would ask $80k and turn it into a track beast

This red GT3 one for $115 is a better deal IF its as clean as the description, because you won't have the uphill climb of re-selling a car that's been wrecked and you don't have to drop $15k into it to make it normal.

https://www.llautolink.com/vehicle-d...tx-id-42608296

Dan

Last edited by Wonderdan; 08-04-2021 at 02:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 03:42 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

After spending some time reading this thread, you can conclude that there are 3 kind of GT3 buyers:

1. The driver - looking for a car to drive and enjoy without paying a premium for a car that make me feel guilty adding miles to it. (Me)

2. The collector - looking for a collector grade example with less that 10k miles and zero paint work. This buyer will be paying at the top of the price range.

3. The speculator - someone that’s probably not serious enough to buy and constantly put down cars that are for sale. This person could care less about the driving experience and more about how much money he could make if he flips the car. Always speculating that the car will appreciate. May buy a car, put it away for a short time and try to sell it to make a buck.

I’m sure there may be other categories of buyers but these are the ones that I have been able to notice.

Even the “good cars” available may have wearable parts that are aging and may soon need replacement. Remember, these cars are 14 plus year old. Depending on who does the PPI and how deep they go into the inspection, a “good car” may need the same or more parts fixed or replaced than a comparable one.

As a buyer that likes to drive these cars, I would look at the current market price, availability, etc and make a sound decision. I don’t see the 997 GT3 market to go down. It may stabilize but not go down. These cars were sold in small qualities, they are raw, analog etc. Basically the end of an era. Future cars will only become more computerized and electric, making them numb. Aside from Flood, fire or accidents that caused frame damage I would consider a not so perfect car if it’s well priced within the current market.

Last edited by Robocop305; 08-04-2021 at 03:45 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Robocop305:
cbracerx (08-04-2021), seis-speed (08-06-2021), Wonderdan (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 04:07 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by pearcecs
Thanks Yeah, I agree, I think the seller just thinks I was trying to pull one over on him (in reference to the repairs). I sent him the PPI and told him my offer. He's going to talk to his mechanic today, but seems he may come down some. As I'm looking for a driver, I'm somewhat ok with the bodywork. Good point about the airbag light, but even if it was missing sensors, etc, up front, you could code those out, correct? I believe he put the Recaros in for 3 track days, so maybe he just didn't get around to it. I feel if he were trying to hide damaged sensors, he would have paid to have them coded out.... He claims he's only driven the car about 1000 miles in the last 4 years. (not looking at the carfax at the moment to corroborate)
If they are North American market seats the light can be coded out. If they are ROW (Rest of world) seats I THINK they can but not sure. One of the members here just did it.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 06:10 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robocop305
After spending some time reading this thread, you can conclude that there are 3 kind of GT3 buyers:

1. The driver - looking for a car to drive and enjoy without paying a premium for a car that make me feel guilty adding miles to it. (Me)

2. The collector - looking for a collector grade example with less that 10k miles and zero paint work. This buyer will be paying at the top of the price range.

3. The speculator - someone that’s probably not serious enough to buy and constantly put down cars that are for sale. This person could care less about the driving experience and more about how much money he could make if he flips the car. Always speculating that the car will appreciate. May buy a car, put it away for a short time and try to sell it to make a buck.

I’m sure there may be other categories of buyers but these are the ones that I have been able to notice.

Even the “good cars” available may have wearable parts that are aging and may soon need replacement. Remember, these cars are 14 plus year old. Depending on who does the PPI and how deep they go into the inspection, a “good car” may need the same or more parts fixed or replaced than a comparable one.

As a buyer that likes to drive these cars, I would look at the current market price, availability, etc and make a sound decision. I don’t see the 997 GT3 market to go down. It may stabilize but not go down. These cars were sold in small qualities, they are raw, analog etc. Basically the end of an era. Future cars will only become more computerized and electric, making them numb. Aside from Flood, fire or accidents that caused frame damage I would consider a not so perfect car if it’s well priced within the current market.
I think that's rather simplistic. I've driven my cars. All of them. I don't have the luxury of time or the desire to correct problems, and I can afford to be picky along with many others here that have more jack than I do.

As to speculators I'd call a 997 GT3 dumb money if that's your investment vehicle. And a time-burner. Sure it would have worked out in the last 12 months just like a beach house in California. Next year? Who knows.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:25 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 655 Likes on 308 Posts

If your at the top of your price range but really want a GT car you can have fun with, fiddle with and make perfect as a hobby go for it. You’ll get your money back out of it later. If you have the money but it will bother you every time you remember the bumper was repainted spend the money on a better car.

Last edited by Mr. Adair; 08-04-2021 at 07:26 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mr. Adair:
nstymatt (08-04-2021), RallyeChris (08-05-2021), Robocop305 (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 07:37 PM
jasonturbo
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Robocop305
After spending some time reading this thread, you can conclude that there are 3 kind of GT3 buyers
What about the other buyers that don't read this thread, or that read it and choose not to comment?

Old 08-04-2021, 07:52 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 530 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonturbo
What about the other buyers that don't read this thread, or that read it and choose not to comment?

It's fair to say there are more than 3 types of buyers. Ha ! ! !
Old 08-04-2021, 08:08 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

Yup, I mentioned the possibility above but they will probably fit one of the three. 😜

Last edited by Robocop305; 08-04-2021 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:53 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 653 Likes on 292 Posts

Did that recently with my sons Cayman S, total BS deal, ended up dumping 15k into it to get it right. Seller came across very legit, but totally misrepresented the car and no recourse.

Originally Posted by ranger22
Buy the seller, the car comes with it.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:57 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

The guys that might want a mint 10k mile car could well be former 991.1 or 991.2 buyers that said "meh" to the new format but don't want to go from a new car to a well-used one. That's my story. I hardly drive my 991.1 now. But I drove my 997.2 GT3 to work twice this week....and went grocery shopping too. It's a hoot.
The following 4 users liked this post by Upscale Audio:
fijibubba (08-05-2021), Joe Cho (08-04-2021), Robocop305 (08-04-2021), zshecht7792 (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 10:03 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 462 Likes on 299 Posts

PPI attached.
I had Barnaba do a PPI on a car I was interested in a while back. VERY good group of guys there for sure! I highly recommend them. They truly are just looking at the car and are completely removed from the buying experience (makes zero difference to them if you buy the car or not).

You're obviously serious about buying a car. Just call Doug and let him find you one. It'll make things much easier. It shouldn't be this hard to buy a car. It's why I walked away from the first car I seriously went after. It worked out in the end for the best. Yes, I paid more for my car, but it was worth the extra money 100%.

Last edited by rugu6869; 08-04-2021 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:29 PM
KPJ
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

PPI attached.
@pearcecs , Not sure what I'd do in the situation, but do you want to track the car? Have you driven a GT3 before? Not being condescending - I personally dreamed of one for 20 years, but never got to drive one properly before I bought one. I ended up buying a mint one, when I'd been looking for a high mile driver, and part of me wishes I bought the high mileage driver. Good luck to all those that are content driving these things purely on the road, but after driving one at 7/10ths on the road, I'm not one of them. I'm now busting to get it out on the track, but that comes with costs (coolant lines, lsd, maybe a LWFW etc), all things I can't afford now as I stretched to the pristine example!

If you want to track your GT3, then just be aware up front (my view only) that you'll also drop the majority of the cost on fixing this one up on a mint one that costs you $20k more to start. You'll still need to drop the engine to do the coolant lines, and then while you're at it you'll probably decide to throw the 4.0 LWFW & clutch in etc just because you've already sunk the $$ on the labor to drop the motor out. If however you're purely planning on driving on road, then you may be better off holding out for a better example. Just my 2c from someone that faced the mint condition vs driver dilemma recently.

Old 08-05-2021, 11:47 AM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 548 Likes on 258 Posts

He is not a lenient/understanding seller. He thinks the person that performed the PPI doesn't know how to drive, and there's nothing wrong with the clutch. No negotiations whatsoever....
That's a walk then.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:05 PM
pearcecs
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KPJ
@pearcecs , Not sure what I'd do in the situation, but do you want to track the car? Have you driven a GT3 before? Not being condescending - I personally dreamed of one for 20 years, but never got to drive one properly before I bought one. I ended up buying a mint one, when I'd been looking for a high mile driver, and part of me wishes I bought the high mileage driver. Good luck to all those that are content driving these things purely on the road, but after driving one at 7/10ths on the road, I'm not one of them. I'm now busting to get it out on the track, but that comes with costs (coolant lines, lsd, maybe a LWFW etc), all things I can't afford now as I stretched to the pristine example!

If you want to track your GT3, then just be aware up front (my view only) that you'll also drop the majority of the cost on fixing this one up on a mint one that costs you $20k more to start. You'll still need to drop the engine to do the coolant lines, and then while you're at it you'll probably decide to throw the 4.0 LWFW & clutch in etc just because you've already sunk the $$ on the labor to drop the motor out. If however you're purely planning on driving on road, then you may be better off holding out for a better example. Just my 2c from someone that faced the mint condition vs driver dilemma recently.
Thanks! I've driven a 997,1 turbo (manual) a few times (different car, I know, but as close as I've gotten) I've ridden in a 991,2 GT2 RS on the track (very impressive), and sat in a 991.2 GT3 in the showroom (I came with intent to buy, and they assured me they would be flexible in their asking price...once I got there they changed their minds...??? So no test drive)

This car will be a "replacement" for the NSX I sold. I drove that about 1000-1500 miles per year, but it has a good bit more room (I could actually get my hockey gear bag in the trunk!) for various life tasks. I just bought an E46 M3 track car, feeling as it would be much more affordable to beat up on the track, but I'm sure I'll get the gt3 out every now and then...who could resist?

I made a very reasonable offer considering the cost to get it back into "good-great" order. The seller has pretty much declined. I've asked him to return my deposit before contacting other interested parties if he is not in agreement with my offer, and he doesn't seem to be acting on that. I've heard from a few of you that he has reached out to you again about the car. No signs of my deposit....$1000. Not a great seller, and honestly, has made some pretty ***-like comments to me.

Mildly considering stretching the budget limit and picking up a997.2 GT3 RS at this point...Having a hard time justifying the price jump vs performance, but am guessing they will hold value better than a regular GT3
Old 08-05-2021, 01:33 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 653 Likes on 292 Posts

See post#13
Who coined the phrase...

Thanks! I've driven a 997,1 turbo (manual) a few times (different car, I know, but as close as I've gotten) I've ridden in a 991,2 GT2 RS on the track (very impressive), and sat in a 991.2 GT3 in the showroom (I came with intent to buy, and they assured me they would be flexible in their asking price...once I got there they changed their minds...??? So no test drive)

This car will be a "replacement" for the NSX I sold. I drove that about 1000-1500 miles per year, but it has a good bit more room (I could actually get my hockey gear bag in the trunk!) for various life tasks. I just bought an E46 M3 track car, feeling as it would be much more affordable to beat up on the track, but I'm sure I'll get the gt3 out every now and then...who could resist?

I made a very reasonable offer considering the cost to get it back into "good-great" order. The seller has pretty much declined. I've asked him to return my deposit before contacting other interested parties if he is not in agreement with my offer, and he doesn't seem to be acting on that. I've heard from a few of you that he has reached out to you again about the car. No signs of my deposit....$1000. Not a great seller, and honestly, has made some pretty ***-like comments to me.

Mildly considering stretching the budget limit and picking up a997.2 GT3 RS at this point...Having a hard time justifying the price jump vs performance, but am guessing they will hold value better than a regular GT3

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...