Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 05:47 PM
EvilllEmpirE
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidGT
Grey/Red .2 RS with 23k miles. FAL and full leather. $156k original MSRP. Asking price is $186k.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25503452409...oAAOSwmBJg23po

VIN: WP0AC2A95BS783098
Looks like it’s SOLD… $186k
Old 07-01-2021, 06:15 PM
ShortApproach
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidGT
Well I guess we know who bought this car. Disappointing it didn’t sell to another enthusiast at the original listings low price, but oh well.
I know it’s probably selfish to be frustrated with the seller, but tbh I kind of am. I can’t entirely blame him, I’m sure going through any dealer makes for easy and quick money. But I’m an enthusiast who doesn’t own a 911 (yet) and don’t enjoy seeing a dealer scoop up what would be a great opportunity for someone like myself, add (presumably) zero value, and jack the price up for some other poor sucker. I 100% support what people like Doug do and have heard so many good things about his operation. But this whole thing with buying a car and tacking on erroneous $$$ is frustrating and seeing a fellow RL member feed into it, whether it was conscious or not, is disappointing. End rant.
The following 3 users liked this post by ShortApproach:
Joe Cho (07-01-2021), skarkp (07-02-2021), zshecht7792 (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 06:32 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilllEmpirE
Looks like it’s SOLD… $186k
He messaged me back last night about me coming to see it. Someone must have done the ol' no ppi leap of faith....
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 07:29 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by ShortApproach
I know it’s probably selfish to be frustrated with the seller, but tbh I kind of am. I can’t entirely blame him, I’m sure going through any dealer makes for easy and quick money. But I’m an enthusiast who doesn’t own a 911 (yet) and don’t enjoy seeing a dealer scoop up what would be a great opportunity for someone like myself, add (presumably) zero value, and jack the price up for some other poor sucker. I 100% support what people like Doug do and have heard so many good things about his operation. But this whole thing with buying a car and tacking on erroneous $$$ is frustrating and seeing a fellow RL member feed into it, whether it was conscious or not, is disappointing. End rant.
Well, the seller was a new member. The sales add was his first post. I don’t want to blame him because he probably was not aware whats going on with these cars. He basically sold it to whoever wired him the money first. These cars are being scooped sight unseen if the price posted is lower than market price. The buyer needs to be ready to send some funds as soon as these babies pop up.
The following 2 users liked this post by Robocop305:
ShortApproach (07-01-2021), zshecht7792 (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 09:50 PM
Steevster981
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Another dealer flip...

Originally Posted by nstymatt
looks like this car sold quick as expected. given the interest seems like it was a bit underpriced; just curious what does everyone here think it could have sold for?

my car is near identical miles and spec and would be tempted to sell... of course problem is that any replacement would also be $$$ in this market
Popped up at Grand Prix motors for $115k. Might make my move soon on a 997.1. Things are getting out of hand.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steevster981:
nstymatt (07-02-2021), Robocop305 (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 10:10 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

That's capitalism, money talks and if the seller and buyer are happy with the deal then a 3rd parties opinion means 0. You say poor sucker but if the seller's new price is above market the car won't move. If it sells for more than what the first seller listed for it means the first selling price was way under market. From what I've seen lately 997.1 GT3's are moving in the 110-120k range pretty quickly. I'd expect a 100K car to be gone ASAP to the first person that shows up with cash.

Last edited by CosmosMpower; 07-02-2021 at 10:14 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by CosmosMpower:
405 (07-02-2021), jackb911 (07-02-2021), kfitzpat9 (07-02-2021), nstymatt (07-02-2021), pissedpuppy (07-02-2021), Robocop305 (07-02-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-02-2021, 11:01 AM
Stinger
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
That's capitalism, money talks and if the seller and buyer are happy with the deal then a 3rd parties opinion means 0. You say poor sucker but if the seller's new price is above market the car won't move. If it sells for more than what the first seller listed for it means the first selling price was way under market. From what I've seen lately 997.1 GT3's are moving in the 110-120k range pretty quickly.
I think ShortApproach is saying that many us on this forum, who are Porsche enthusiasts, grow to have an affection for these special cars when we own them. So, when it is time to sell, we would like to see our special car go to another enthusiast who we know feels the same way.

Often, we continue to grow friendships with the people whom we buy and sell our Porsches. I know I have! In some cases, we even end up buying our cars back from the person we sold it to years later. This is one of the reasons for me, at least, that I like being part of the Porsche community and will (if I am lucky) always own a 911 in one form or another.

ShortApproach feels that if you are going to give a good price to someone, let it be to an enthusiast instead of someone who is simply buying it to make more money from it. In this case, I agree with ShortApproach. The seller has missed out on a great part of the essence of this community, and so has the future owner of this particular car once it is flipped.

This concept may sound silly to some people, I know; but yes, these cars can become part of the family. Almost like a beloved pet you want to see go to a good owner.
The following 8 users liked this post by Stinger:
8Lug (07-02-2021), Booth9999 (07-02-2021), Joe Cho (07-02-2021), nstymatt (07-02-2021), Robocop305 (07-02-2021), sbaro (07-02-2021), ShortApproach (07-02-2021), skarkp (07-02-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-02-2021, 12:50 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by idk_alex
He messaged me back last night about me coming to see it. Someone must have done the ol' no ppi leap of faith....
I've done that 4 times (3 GT3s and 1 GT4) - all sight unseen

all winners
The following 4 users liked this post by pissedpuppy:
Booth9999 (07-02-2021), jackb911 (07-02-2021), ljmartyre (07-02-2021), Robocop305 (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 01:04 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Stinger
I think ShortApproach is saying that many us on this forum, who are Porsche enthusiasts, grow to have an affection for these special cars when we own them. So, when it is time to sell, we would like to see our special car go to another enthusiast who we know feels the same way.

Often, we continue to grow friendships with the people whom we buy and sell our Porsches. I know I have! In some cases, we even end up buying our cars back from the person we sold it to years later. This is one of the reasons for me, at least, that I like being part of the Porsche community and will (if I am lucky) always own a 911 in one form or another.

ShortApproach feels that if you are going to give a good price to someone, let it be to an enthusiast instead of someone who is simply buying it to make more money from it. In this case, I agree with ShortApproach. The seller has missed out on a great part of the essence of this community, and so has the future owner of this particular car once it is flipped.

This concept may sound silly to some people, I know; but yes, these cars can become part of the family. Almost like a beloved pet you want to see go to a good owner.
that sounds warm and fuzzy but if I'm being honest, that has never happened to me.

in my mind I struggle to determine what this "enthusiast" even means???

I've owned 8 p-cars (4 being GT cars) does this count?
The following 2 users liked this post by pissedpuppy:
jackb911 (07-02-2021), kfitzpat9 (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 01:12 PM
Steevster981
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
That's capitalism, money talks and if the seller and buyer are happy with the deal then a 3rd parties opinion means 0. You say poor sucker but if the seller's new price is above market the car won't move. If it sells for more than what the first seller listed for it means the first selling price was way under market. From what I've seen lately 997.1 GT3's are moving in the 110-120k range pretty quickly. I'd expect a 100K car to be gone ASAP to the first person that shows up with cash.
Im in the same boat. Ultimately it’s someone’s job out there to keep bringing vehicles and therefore work to their companies. I get that. Was just tracking this vehicle for the group. That being said I have the one at Blair in Nebraska on hold for me right now. Can I get some guidance on the pros/cons on this vehicle from the group please?

https://www.countryautoblair.com/inv...che/911/p2158/

The cons I see:
No manual/service records(although they are on carfax)
One key
Various owners

Pros:
seemingly rare-ish spec
FVD exhaust
nose lift actually still works really well (good thing too because the bottom spoiler is painted from factory)
lowish miles
clean dme with only range 1 and a long time ago
Old 07-02-2021, 01:29 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 56 Posts

I've never asked for a PPI on any of the 22 Porsches I've owned since 1972. But I've also never purchased a Porsche (or any other pre-owned car) that I haven't seen in person, inspected thoroughly and driven. That is the way I do it but not everyone subscribes to that methodology.

BTW, all 22 have been winners as well.

Nothing drives me as cRaZy as dealing with a prospective buyer who wants to exchange 40+ emails (that has happened more then once), demands an equal number of photos but refuses to see the car in person, even if I promised to hold it for a couple of days. I learned my lesson to never, ever do that again.

Money or a money transfer talks! Have your funds ready before you start searching for "the right" GT3 version that you are after. The way the market currently is, there are more buyers than sellers and there is no need for sellers to babysit a buyer who isn't a close friend or ready to buy. Three weeks ago I sold my daily driver 2019 Jeep Cherokee in ONE DAY to a local dealer for $1,500 more than I paid for it brand new including tax and the ancillaries. I advertised it on FB Marketplace and 3 other local dealers wanted to buy it after the first one had already taken it. The car market is nuts right now (supply & demand) and not just regarding certain Porsches.

Just my opinion, guys. I'm not a dealer and never have been associated with one, but I've bought and sold a lot of cars that I liked over the years.
The following 5 users liked this post by jackb911:
fijibubba (07-02-2021), kfitzpat9 (07-02-2021), ljmartyre (07-02-2021), pissedpuppy (07-02-2021), Robocop305 (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 02:02 PM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 175 Likes on 104 Posts

For the price of these how could you not hop on a plane to check it out?
The following 3 users liked this post by Colorado964turbo:
monk46 (07-02-2021), Robocop305 (07-02-2021), Seedster (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 02:07 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
I've done that 4 times (3 GT3s and 1 GT4) - all sight unseen

all winners
Didn't you utilize Doug for at least one of these purchases?

I've had a PPI save me from a mega turd that I even had my friend lay eyes on in person, so I like them to know what I'm getting into (especially when were talking multi 6 figure deals)...

I get that everyone is on the whole "bRo CaSh In HaNd BuY nOw Or MiSs tHe BoAt FoReVeR" kick, but markets ebb and flow and while I like the 997 ERA GT Cars I'm not going to pretend that it will bring me eternal happiness and I should therefore act irrationally.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:01 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 591 Posts

First off, I suspect the seller didn't know a dealer was buying it until a deposit was given. I just sold my GTS to a dealer unknowingly. They paid my asking price but they may be the only dealer in the U.S. with a mint, low-mileage manual 6-speed GTS coupe. Numerous dealers contacted me but none of them told me up-front.

If you get pissed at them, get pissed at all of them including Ryan Friedman, Allthingsporsche.com, Grand Prix, and Doug, and others. There is zero difference between them except Doug has very good friendships on Rennlist, contributes, is super-knowledgable, and appears to be very good about disclosing issues like the 996 GT3 he sold that had tornado damage at some point of its life and a bad 1st gear synchro needing repair. That's an honest representation that I applaud.

But all these guys typically buy from private parties and mark them up. They have a lot of windows open on their computers morning till night, or rely on relationships. They judge on condition of the car and figure the spread. Period. Ryan Friedman trips me out with the crazy low-mileage cars they offer, and perhaps that gets them more inquiries from private parties looking to sell.

I too get bothered that there is such a finite supply of 997 GT cars and there's a half-dozen dealers aggressively buying and marking them up getting in the middle more often than not. But that's life.

That's how I made my money for many years in vintage vacuum tubes. I always bought everything someone had to sell to keep competitors out. But it was a lot of work going through sh*tty areas of Yangon in Myanmar and walking so much in Germany my toenails fell off....and all the other things I had to do. We're all lucky to make a living working in our hobbies.

The following 3 users liked this post by Upscale Audio:
fijibubba (07-02-2021), kfitzpat9 (07-02-2021), smceo (07-03-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 03:06 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Morales
Im in the same boat. Ultimately it’s someone’s job out there to keep bringing vehicles and therefore work to their companies. I get that. Was just tracking this vehicle for the group. That being said I have the one at Blair in Nebraska on hold for me right now. Can I get some guidance on the pros/cons on this vehicle from the group please?

https://www.countryautoblair.com/inv...che/911/p2158/

The cons I see:
No manual/service records(although they are on carfax)
One key
Various owners

Pros:
seemingly rare-ish spec
FVD exhaust
nose lift actually still works really well (good thing too because the bottom spoiler is painted from factory)
lowish miles
clean dme with only range 1 and a long time ago
You'll want to see this one up close & personal. Hopefully you are close to the vehicle.

Just at a cursory glance, I'm seeing some oxidation in the engine bay (& no under carriage photos, and since this is being sold in Nebraska, you'll want to see those).
Sounds like you already have the carfax, so you can see where this car has lived most of it's life.
... maybe you have already received under-body, suspension & under-engine pics from the seller already.

Some of the rubber grommets look to have that white powdery surface.

What are those two scuff marks on the underside of the engine lid? (& since it is on both sides, it makes me think it is not a light reflection in the photo).

Re: your comment that this is a "rare-ish" spec - In your opinion is that due to painted console, stitching, PCM & seats? ... or is it the "right" spec for your tastes. You won't use the PCM much.

Of course, as everyone here will say: Understanding how much maintenance updates it will need, can be the difference in $10k (Brakes/Rotors? Fluids? Tires (date code)? etc?)

You also mentioned "clean DME", which is great. But a related Question: Did you do a calculation on the average speed over the course of this cars 25.6k miles? (miles/operating hours)
If it is under,... lets say 40 mph, then you may be able to discern that it was a street car most of its life. Babied street cars seem to be in the 30mph - 35 mph range.

Car looks nice, especially if the spec speaks to you. Good luck with your pursuit!

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...