Old 12-20-2019 | 04:00 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

I drive vicariously through this thread when California guys post
Old 12-20-2019 | 04:49 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Well, BMWsteve and I have seen the service records. ..
I don't know who this BMW guy is. I don't even know what those letters stand for. Is that a commuter car maybe?

The Aqua Blue could be a great car for the right person. I just do not feel that the asking price is commensurate.

I do not see any indication of any damage or body/frame repairs. Would have expected to see all the extensive mods etc done to a RS over all those years, verses a regular GT3 like this one,... but hey each makes their own choices.

It is a 1 owner car so that is good. There were just some bolts & threads that got stripped on the car presumably from putting track related goodies on & off the car so many times,.. tons of suspension mods (that remain), ... it had a coolant problem in 2012 (& again in 2014), but did not see any subsequent pinning or welding in the years following. And for those who have engaged in the FAL debate over the years,... yes it had that fail too (& repaired) in 2013. Other stuff too, but I won't bore you.

I obviously love the spec and feel it would be an awesome car to pick up for the right new-owner (going in eyes wide open with a PPI since it's entire life it was trailored to the track & back - hence my belief that the majority of 19k miles are track, not just 8-10k).

Hey upside is that supposedly the next owner does not need to worry about the cam adjuster bolts, since clearly this car has spent most of its life above 5K rpm!! Right on!!
=S
Old 12-20-2019 | 06:02 PM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by osu s2k
I drive vicariously through this thread when California guys post
I drive vicariously through myself thanks to Blizzaks, undercoating, and AWD. Praying for snow!!

The following 3 users liked this post by switchcars:
cavlino (12-20-2019), jonwb (12-22-2019), NoleenELT (12-21-2019)
Old 12-20-2019 | 06:15 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
Sounds like there are 3 of us in central ohio.. We should have a GT3 get together, pick a random cars and coffee or something.
I am in Northeast Ohio, closer to Cleveland. So probably 2 hours away. Would be cool, send us a PM when you are considering doing something and if I can make it I will.
Old 12-20-2019 | 06:17 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WantA997
How dare the previous owner of a GT3 track the car. Shame on him.
Haha, I have no issue at all with someone that tracks their GT3. It is obviously what it is made for, so I don't want my comment to come off as I have an issue with it. I was just stating a fact that it most likely has been and that if someone considers purchasing it they should factor in that it may need a refresh of some suspension components, check the CL's, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Adair (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019 | 06:29 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by bweSteve
I don't know who this BMW guy is. I don't even know what those letters stand for. Is that a commuter car maybe?

The Aqua Blue could be a great car for the right person. I just do not feel that the asking price is commensurate.

I do not see any indication of any damage or body/frame repairs. Would have expected to see all the extensive mods etc done to a RS over all those years, verses a regular GT3 like this one,... but hey each makes their own choices.

It is a 1 owner car so that is good. There were just some bolts & threads that got stripped on the car presumably from putting track related goodies on & off the car so many times,.. tons of suspension mods (that remain), ... it had a coolant problem in 2012 (& again in 2014), but did not see any subsequent pinning or welding in the years following. And for those who have engaged in the FAL debate over the years,... yes it had that fail too (& repaired) in 2013. Other stuff too, but I won't bore you.

I obviously love the spec and feel it would be an awesome car to pick up for the right new-owner (going in eyes wide open with a PPI since it's entire life it was trailored to the track & back - hence my belief that the majority of 19k miles are track, not just 8-10k).

Hey upside is that supposedly the next owner does not need to worry about the cam adjuster bolts, since clearly this car has spent most of its life above 5K rpm!! Right on!!
=S
Ha! Sorry buddy, You will now forever be BMW Steve 🤣 as for your track miles estimate that might be a little severe to consider all 19k of its miles track. That is potentially over 6000 track laps. Why sellers don’t keep track of their track miles is beyond me. When it’s time to sell it would be helpful.
Old 12-20-2019 | 06:35 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by switchcars
I drive vicariously through myself thanks to Blizzaks, undercoating, and AWD. Praying for snow!!
ahhhh respect!
I’ve been searching mobile.de lately, my brother lives in Germany to source an rs2, are they worth bringing in?
Old 12-20-2019 | 06:42 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by switchcars

nice Hips
Old 12-20-2019 | 07:54 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
... track miles estimate that might be a little severe to consider all 19k of its miles track. That is potentially over 6000 track laps. ...
you are right. sure not all track miles. and any track miles are still Ok. But just to be clear, as I poured over the extensive Indy service records, and matched up dates, with miles, with notes that clearly speak to both prep for upcoming track, and after-track upkeep/mods, etc, it was pretty clear that the majority were on the track. It is quite impressive in fact. Very thorough documentation on the track mods, changes (esp alignment choices over the years) & maintenance. I'm willing to bet the owner did indeed have a log book. But as I suspect with most porsche dealerships, my guess is that even if that owner gave them the log book, why would they want to pass that along to the next owner? odds? ... keep in mind that those service records did not come from the dealer either. Kinda doubt that the dealer knows that our Rennlister has them. Just seems to me that dealers selling track cars like this probably have at least "some" sweeping of it's history under the rug.

Correction: I have been corrected;... The Indy records did indeed come from the dealership. That is a huge step in the right direction in my {open} book. As XrussianX highlights below,... with all the right documentation, the car can be spot-on for the right buyer. ..... now about that price ..

Last edited by bweSteve; 12-22-2019 at 04:53 PM. Reason: records did indeed come from the dealership
Old 12-20-2019 | 09:12 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

you are right. sure not all track miles. and any track miles are still Ok. But just to be clear, as I poured over the extensive Indy service records, and matched up dates, with miles, with notes that clearly speak to both prep for upcoming track, and after-track upkeep/mods, etc, it was pretty clear that the majority were on the track. It is quite impressive in fact. Very thorough documentation on the track mods, changes (esp alignment choices over the years) & maintenance. I'm willing to bet the owner did indeed have a log book. But as I suspect with most porsche dealerships, my guess is that even if that owner gave them the log book, why would they want to pass that along to the next owner? odds? ... keep in mind that those service records did not come from the dealer either. Kinda doubt that the dealer knows that our Rennlister has them. Just seems to me that dealers selling track cars like this probably have at least "some" sweeping of it's history under the rug.
More excellent sleuthing by Mr. Steve. 🏁
Old 12-21-2019 | 05:26 PM
XrussianX
Pro

=S
I have 31k now on my .2 which I’m sure most of you know the previous owners. The car has been solid to say the absolute least. And most of the miles are track miles from what I was able to see. I bought it with 27k and I wouldn’t trade her for anything else. What sold me was the fact the car had 53 services and the entire front end was clear bra’d. That and the dealer offered a 5 year 48k warranty I know I couldn’t lose. The average mpg before I started driving was 9.4😆 I drive pretty aggressive and it’s up to 12.7 after 4K miles😂
The following 2 users liked this post by XrussianX:
bweSteve (12-22-2019), Mr. Adair (12-21-2019)
Old 12-22-2019 | 04:51 PM
markmark26
Rennlist Member

yearly next year, I will be ready to add a 997 GT3 to my garage, but lately Ive been looking at RS as well, .1 ( orange/black and black/orange ), and .2 any color except ( silver/orange ).. With a limit at $140k, is it possible to get a clean .2 RS?
Old 12-22-2019 | 04:59 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

^^^ .2 of which flavor? RS? or non-RS?

answer: Certainly yes indeed you could have $20-$30k money left over if you target a .2 non-RS. And I would also contend that you could find a .2 RS too for $140k if you are willing to concede on certain things. But without knowing a lot more details on what you would want with your .2 RS, it is tough to say whether you could find it for $140k. Once you get into a groove of identifying your own boxes that must be checked, then you'll need to give yourself a increase in your "overage" budget, should you come across the car of your dreams. How much overage depends on your "list".

on the .1 side of your equation,... you can certainly find either flavor. And it sounds like you've already started looking based on your color combo specified,... so I suspect you already know the answer to your .1 question.

Good luck!!
=Steve
Old 12-22-2019 | 05:03 PM
markmark26
Rennlist Member

.2 RS

^^^ .2 of which flavor? RS? or non-RS?

answer: Certainly yes indeed you could have $20-$30k money left over if you target a .2 non-RS. And I would also contend that you could find a .2 RS too for $140k if you are willing to concede on certain things. But without knowing a lot more details on what you would want with your .2 RS, it is tough to say whether you could find it for $140k. Once you get into a groove of identifying your own boxes that must be checked, then you'll need to give yourself a increase in your "overage" budget, should you come across the car of your dreams. How much overage depends on your "list".

on the .1 side of your equation,... you can certainly find either flavor. And it sounds like you've already started looking based on your color combo specified,... so I suspect you already know the answer to your .1 question.

Good luck!!
=Steve
Old 12-22-2019 | 05:38 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

then to answer your question, you'll need to provide a lot more info on your wants / check list of options.

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...