Old 07-15-2019, 09:52 AM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 468 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Thx. I like Orange more anyway.
My personal favorite is black with the "ghost" graphics and black wheels.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:01 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by switchcars
My personal favorite is black with the "ghost" graphics and black wheels.
Not sure I have ever seen this combo......
Old 07-15-2019, 12:05 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

You can do anything with the accent colors.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:14 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,044 Posts

Well, close. Need to add 2-6.5 mil depending on where on the car you are metering and how much it’s been buffed previously. Also, film varies in thickness, sometimes as much as 10mil.
Yes, consistency is key. But eyes are important too, checking for overspray, tape lines, fisheyes, etc etc.
I have seen bare metal repaints which metered the same as factory.
Thanks for the correction, Doug. I guess you could also maybe have to vary the amount of paint depending on color? My Carrara White GT3 meters 100 microns, my Meteor C2S was closer to 130-150, then there was a repainted panel on that car which was 200-250.

Crazy that some repaints come in the same as factory. Scary stuff.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:37 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 474 Likes on 317 Posts

Let’s put it this way....it’s closer to zero than it is to almost double, which was the premium at its peak.
Fake news.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:31 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

AC, maybe u will finally get your frog. Good luck on BAT.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:41 PM
JS
Race Car

https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/336208
Old 07-16-2019, 12:43 PM
JS
Race Car

Very nice for the Black on Black.
https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/320243
Old 07-17-2019, 01:55 AM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 122 Posts

Since this is the for sale thread. I've have a couple of questions before (I may) start my own thread.

I currently have a high end protrouring Camaro and a 997.2 C2s manual silver with navy blue interior with just under 30K. I can't pic a favorite, there both soooo good in different ways, other than there both bada$$ to drive/track/auto-x.

Thinking of selling both as I'd like to go down to one car. Most likely a GT3 or GT3RS. 997. Color TBD. Higher miles don't bother as this car will do what it's designed for.

How does the GT3 do on long road trips? How does the GT3RS do on long road trips? I do have a left knee that's weak (til I get back on my bike next month)
Where could I "test drive"?
Any thought s on a Turbo? I'm thinking NA (Metzger) and it's more trackable (the GT3 that is)

Thanx for any input, Mike

Last edited by mikes70; 07-17-2019 at 01:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-17-2019, 07:43 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,044 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes70
Since this is the for sale thread. I've have a couple of questions before (I may) start my own thread.

I currently have a high end protrouring Camaro and a 997.2 C2s manual silver with navy blue interior with just under 30K. I can't pic a favorite, there both soooo good in different ways, other than there both bada$$ to drive/track/auto-x.

Thinking of selling both as I'd like to go down to one car. Most likely a GT3 or GT3RS. 997. Color TBD. Higher miles don't bother as this car will do what it's designed for.

How does the GT3 do on long road trips? How does the GT3RS do on long road trips? I do have a left knee that's weak (til I get back on my bike next month)
Any thought s on a Turbo? I'm thinking NA (Metzger) and it's more trackable (the GT3 that is)

My input is coming from owning a 997.1 GT3. Clutch is heavier than a Turbo for sure but also feels more natural to me now.

Car will do fine on longer road trips, but the suspension is not going to be super soft. Interior noise is definitely there too but not much louder than your C2S.

If you actually wanted a road trip car, or something for cruising, I would buy the Turbo. If you are looking for something to take on backroads, to the track, and then a yearly 500 mile road trip, the GT3 would be perfect for that.

Test driving is going to be difficult. Either find a friend willing to give you some seat time, or find a local PCA member that you can at least ride along with. Other than that it would have to be a dealer, but you are only going to get 15 mins of seat time where I really would need an hour to figure out if I like the car or not.

Either way, you can’t go wrong. Post both in the GT3 forum and the turbo one so you can see both sides.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:36 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 256 Posts

Drove a 7.2 RS 2500 miles to Rennsport. Carbon buckets are very very good over distance. Exhaust sound in 6th at low RPM’s is doable. The killer is the NVH. Simply not enough sound deadening in these cars for long distance. Road surface matters. Concrete very loud, tarmac better. They are 3 hour cars max for most people. But the 3 hours on the right roads at speed is GT car nirvana.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:56 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

.... I currently have a high end protrouring Camaro and a 997.2 C2s manual silver with navy blue interior with just under 30K. I can't pic a favorite, there both soooo good in different ways, other than there both bada$$ to drive/track/auto-x.
Thinking of selling both as I'd like to go down to one car. Most likely a GT3 or GT3RS. 997. Color TBD. Higher miles don't bother as this car will do what it's designed for. ....
Hey Mike, like you, I have too many cars for my garage space. Two 1stGen Camaro's, one all-original L78 '68-RS/SS-396/375-Muncie,... and the 2nd is a modified '69 SS that is probably not up to your "high-end" protouring quality (mini-tubbed, but still needs some more - but that is a Father-Son-Daughter car project that started when they were in HS. I cannot fathom getting rid of either of them. They will pass on to them when I pass-on). But GARAGE SPACE is a problem for all us car-guys. My advice is to KEEP that car & just suck up the costs of storing it somewhere close, so you can still take it out for cruises when you want to. I am doing that for BOTH my Camaro's (both at different friends houses that have bigger garages than I do.... and yes I PAY them. I call it "keeping the money in the family". They are friends of mine since HS, and yes they get the keys too. We share).

Having said all that,... please keep the ProTouring, and sell the C2S, and get a 997 GT3. My wife & I have just been having a BLAST driving that thing. So much so that our beloved '91 964 Turbo has been catching up on preserving some miles by staying in the garage. Funny how both our 911's take priority for our 3 car garage, over the Camaro's.

M Adair & Bxstr said it well,... but I would also add that since I know your Camaro is probably good for longer touring trips, I bet it is still loud. So my bet is that you would still be FINE in a GT3 for the type of long weekend trips in a GT3. Now whether you would be fine in a 997 GT3RS, verses a regular GT3 is the bigger question. That is the main reason my wife & I did not go with a RS,... plus we looked specifically for one with 14-way Sofa seats. We wanted a "street" version of the car, since we only AutoX a few times a summer & I'll do a PCA DE maybe once every 2 years just to have some fun. I also love having NAV in my 997.2 GT3. It allows me to "see" the upcoming curvy sections of the road ahead. I LOVE that. If I run up on a car in front of me, I'll look down at NAV and decide whether to back off big-time, or even pull over & wait till I see a car coming from behind to pull back out on the road (just ahead of them), and give myself full access to the upcoming curves. Here on all our east coast mountain roads, our NAV plays a big role in how much fun we have in the twisties.
.... although maybe that doesn't play a big role on your west coast "Canyon" drives, if you typically get wide open access & no slow cars in front you that often.

The fun is in the journey!!! Have fun with the decision!!

Btw, if you start your own thread to discuss off-line from this FOR SALE thread,... I'll just move my comments above over there.
=Steve
The following users liked this post:
sixtyfiver (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 03:09 PM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^^^^^ so well put, great advice.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:27 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Hey Mike, like you, I have too many cars for my garage space. Two 1stGen Camaro's, one all-original L78 '68-RS/SS-396/375-Muncie,... and the 2nd is a modified '69 SS that is probably not up to your "high-end" protouring quality (mini-tubbed, but still needs some more - but that is a Father-Son-Daughter car project that started when they were in HS. I cannot fathom getting rid of either of them. They will pass on to them when I pass-on). But GARAGE SPACE is a problem for all us car-guys. My advice is to KEEP that car & just suck up the costs of storing it somewhere close, so you can still take it out for cruises when you want to. I am doing that for BOTH my Camaro's (both at different friends houses that have bigger garages than I do.... and yes I PAY them. I call it "keeping the money in the family". They are friends of mine since HS, and yes they get the keys too. We share).

Having said all that,... please keep the ProTouring, and sell the C2S, and get a 997 GT3. My wife & I have just been having a BLAST driving that thing. So much so that our beloved '91 964 Turbo has been catching up on preserving some miles by staying in the garage. Funny how both our 911's take priority for our 3 car garage, over the Camaro's.

M Adair & Bxstr said it well,... but I would also add that since I know your Camaro is probably good for longer touring trips, I bet it is still loud. So my bet is that you would still be FINE in a GT3 for the type of long weekend trips in a GT3. Now whether you would be fine in a 997 GT3RS, verses a regular GT3 is the bigger question. That is the main reason my wife & I did not go with a RS,... plus we looked specifically for one with 14-way Sofa seats. We wanted a "street" version of the car, since we only AutoX a few times a summer & I'll do a PCA DE maybe once every 2 years just to have some fun. I also love having NAV in my 997.2 GT3. It allows me to "see" the upcoming curvy sections of the road ahead. I LOVE that. If I run up on a car in front of me, I'll look down at NAV and decide whether to back off big-time, or even pull over & wait till I see a car coming from behind to pull back out on the road (just ahead of them), and give myself full access to the upcoming curves. Here on all our east coast mountain roads, our NAV plays a big role in how much fun we have in the twisties.
.... although maybe that doesn't play a big role on your west coast "Canyon" drives, if you typically get wide open access & no slow cars in front you that often.

The fun is in the journey!!! Have fun with the decision!!

Btw, if you start your own thread to discuss off-line from this FOR SALE thread,... I'll just move my comments above over there.
=Steve
Mr. Steve! I’m curious, have you ever driven a 997 GT3 and RS back to back? I’m still so curious as to how much “rougher” the RS is? Is it 10% or 40%? Talk to me...
Old 07-17-2019, 10:36 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 259 Posts

Mike! as a fellow Livermorian DO IT!

I had a 997 Turbo EVT775, not even close I had all the RSS suspension bits as well. The Turbo is a comfy Grand Tourer, the GT3/RS is another level which you already know, the only thing in common is the silhouette.

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...