Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

T hill: private day: 3/13/14

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 11:09 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Looking at available trackdays to rent in June looks like u can rent 3 straight days but its midweek June 10/11/12(tues-thurs). SpMotorsports hosted one last week- great format- no groups- run as many laps from 9-12 and 1-5. A 3day private trackday would be awesome. A Private trackday would be cool if it's the 5 miler. I'll email thill and see what available rental dates for the 5 miler 25 turn full coarse if it exists for this season . Mike
Old 03-21-2014, 11:18 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by m5trol
I love the excitement but let's not lose sight of the private days fellas. Are there other tracks besides thunderhill where this is a possibility? I would love to have a series of private days for the kind of fun that the title of this thread is about.
assuming available, Laguna 105 db days would b about $1000/ driver
92 db slightly cheaper not much
I'm not sure I can get enough ppl to foot the bill
Old 03-22-2014, 12:00 AM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

[QUOTE=savyboy;11232918

Joe is spot on. [/QUOTE]

Don't think so, Pete! HOD's pricing is retarded as far as TH goes. I've told David Ray this many times but I guess, he likes to take his profit from TH.... If he wants to keep his business model, he should increase the price for LS and SR and reduce it for TH. Why would I want to pay over $300/day having to drive nearly 200 miles one way into the middle of nowhere? And "orthojoe"'s comment on well organized and low(er) car counts with HOD doesn't always hold true.. Certainly not any better than NCRC (which is half the price :_))). Just because this organizer has a bunch of HOD-shirted guys running around telling me, 5 minutes, 3 minutes, 1 minute to get started, doesn't make it more "organized". It's just more overhead, having to charge more... I guess, you'll all have figured out by now that I'm not a special friend of HOD (at TH)... And PCGC isn't a whole lot better with all their rules...
Old 03-22-2014, 12:13 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

How is HOD with respect to mandatory pointbys? I know they made a big deal about it last time I was there and it was race group!!! Pca- point is drivers are pretty good but mandatory pointbys in advanced grp is pointless. Mike
Old 03-22-2014, 12:26 AM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
How is HOD with respect to mandatory pointbys? I know they made a big deal about it last time I was there and it was race group!!! Pca- point is drivers are pretty good but mandatory pointbys in advanced grp is pointless. Mike
Couldnt' agree with you anymore, Mike! I think too many people are drinking the Cool-aid of "that's what it takes". No, we have a voice and we should "raise" it. Just got an e-mail from a friend that invited me to "private" day at TH for $400 (140 minutes). That's laughable (okay, it's ridiculous)... I signed up for a private day at TH for $345 with no run groups, no limit, European style tracking. You drive until you're tank is empty or you are "empty" OR your car is too "hot"... I'm okay with that price for what I get but not this 20 minute BS.... I just see a "proliferation" of organizers that either want to cash in OR are just too lame to negotiate with the tracks. And this 5-mile TH course seems just the perfect opportunity... I have no idea on what the 5-mile course "should be" but all I know is that NCRC is charging $179 for some days in July/August. Maybe they are just stupid and will loose their "shirts" or maybe they ARE the alternative, certainly to HOD with their "overhead" and that silly lunch. God, I can bring my lunch (more healthy) and should get a credit? Sorry, rant over, no flames please, Tschuess, Horst.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:47 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Besides SP Motorsports being my fav format, I like NCRC/ Volvo Club / Lotus club... no BS- great pricing, arrive and drive. I don't need people yelling at me over the PDA or download sessions...

If SPMotorsports can do a private day at Sonoma that would be awesome.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:57 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

^that plus 100!!!! Mike
Old 03-22-2014, 01:03 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Looking at available trackdays to rent in June looks like u can rent 3 straight days but its midweek June 10/11/12(tues-thurs). SpMotorsports hosted one last week- great format- no groups- run as many laps from 9-12 and 1-5. A 3day private trackday would be awesome. A Private trackday would be cool if it's the 5 miler. I'll email thill and see what available rental dates for the 5 miler 25 turn full coarse if it exists for this season . Mike
count me in again
Old 03-22-2014, 01:05 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

We can pay to make noise? California is not so bad if you can afford it. I can afford to visit, stay not so much.
Just got my OEM muffler organized, but still.
My 6 into 1 race exhaust must make more than 105dB.

I'll probably just send the car with quiet exhaust, but I'm in for any private track if the date works. I have to check but May looks good.

I can do point by's but you really have to want to see one.. Look closely!
Old 03-22-2014, 01:21 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Horstair
Don't think so, Pete! HOD's pricing is retarded as far as TH goes. I've told David Ray this many times but I guess, he likes to take his profit from TH.... If he wants to keep his business model, he should increase the price for LS and SR and reduce it for TH. Why would I want to pay over $300/day having to drive nearly 200 miles one way into the middle of nowhere? And "orthojoe"'s comment on well organized and low(er) car counts with HOD doesn't always hold true.. Certainly not any better than NCRC (which is half the price :_))). Just because this organizer has a bunch of HOD-shirted guys running around telling me, 5 minutes, 3 minutes, 1 minute to get started, doesn't make it more "organized". It's just more overhead, having to charge more... I guess, you'll all have figured out by now that I'm not a special friend of HOD (at TH)... And PCGC isn't a whole lot better with all their rules...
Horst, why so angry? Did you get scolded by HOD like you scolded by buddy who got tired of you blocking him? Such an angry man you are. LOL

Yes, HOD is the most expensive. Yes, sometimes they sell out events and the car count will be the same as NCRC or TMR. Yes, sometimes they can screw up, just like any other group.

I just got back from MRLS today with HOD. There were 9 cars in D group. By the end of the day, there were 5. We all had the track to ourselves, had 2 hours worth of run time, and were DONE by 3PM. NCRC rarely has sparsely populated track days because of their cheap pricing. TMR charges $220 for thunderhill vs. HOD's $299. $80 difference. $80 is just a drop in the bucket when it comes to overall costs for a single track day. Dont get me wrong, I'm just as a big of a fan of NCRC and TMR as I am of HOD. I notice the price, but the small differences that HOD has makes it ok with me. Certainly nothing to get all ape **** over.

Originally Posted by Horstair
I have no idea on what the 5-mile course "should be" but all I know is that NCRC is charging $179 for some days in July/August. Maybe they are just stupid and will loose their "shirts" or maybe they ARE the alternative, certainly to HOD with their "overhead" and that silly lunch.
Nobody said NCRC wasn't a good alternative. If the lunch upsets you, then don't go. LOL. I know how much Thill is charging to run the full 5 mile course. Given that I've been involved in organizing multiple private track days in the past, I also know the associated costs. HOD's biggest advantage over ALL other groups is their novice program. Nobody does a better program. It may also be their achilles heel because it costs money to properly coach those novices. No coaches in NCRC or TMR. Perhaps you don't feel like subsidizing the novices. That's cool. Just don't run with them. I fail to understand why this is considered evil and makes them an unacceptable option.

No point-by needed in D group. Open passing, optional point-by. Runs very smoothly. I no longer have to worry about certain GT3 owners that have huge egos not pointing by. I just pass them.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:33 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Peter:

NCRC, TMR, and HOD all have open passing groups. I don't know if PCA does... I think so? I've never run with PCA
Old 03-22-2014, 12:29 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Horst, why so angry? Did you get scolded by HOD like you scolded by buddy who got tired of you blocking him? Such an angry man you are. LOL

Yes, HOD is the most expensive. Yes, sometimes they sell out events and the car count will be the same as NCRC or TMR. Yes, sometimes they can screw up, just like any other group.

I just got back from MRLS today with HOD. There were 9 cars in D group. By the end of the day, there were 5. We all had the track to ourselves, had 2 hours worth of run time, and were DONE by 3PM. NCRC rarely has sparsely populated track days because of their cheap pricing. TMR charges $220 for thunderhill vs. HOD's $299. $80 difference. $80 is just a drop in the bucket when it comes to overall costs for a single track day. Dont get me wrong, I'm just as a big of a fan of NCRC and TMR as I am of HOD. I notice the price, but the small differences that HOD has makes it ok with me. Certainly nothing to get all ape **** over.

Nobody said NCRC wasn't a good alternative. If the lunch upsets you, then don't go. LOL. I know how much Thill is charging to run the full 5 mile course. Given that I've been involved in organizing multiple private track days in the past, I also know the associated costs. HOD's biggest advantage over ALL other groups is their novice program. Nobody does a better program. It may also be their achilles heel because it costs money to properly coach those novices. No coaches in NCRC or TMR. Perhaps you don't feel like subsidizing the novices. That's cool. Just don't run with them. I fail to understand why this is considered evil and makes them an unacceptable option.

No point-by needed in D group. Open passing, optional point-by. Runs very smoothly. I no longer have to worry about certain GT3 owners that have huge egos not pointing by. I just pass them.
Good to hear that it's a courtesy pointby. Trying to pass a conga line of 3-4 requires a lotta patience. Mike
Old 03-22-2014, 01:26 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
assuming available, Laguna 105 db days would b about $1000/ driver
92 db slightly cheaper not much
I'm not sure I can get enough ppl to foot the bill
Please, please, please let's try this. I am in (I am assuming 4.0 clears 105db?). Let's see how many we can line up and then if we are short, we will think of something else.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:27 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let's do this guys.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:48 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

we r on it
wont be easy
yes 4.0 clears 105

Quick Reply: T hill: private day: 3/13/14