T hill: private day: 3/13/14

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 10:05 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
professor 24chromium
Love it! Great to see familiar faces Including a couple I don't see posting here anymore
Old 03-16-2014, 10:11 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 774 Posts

Going to DMV this week to put license plate on RSA, if successful looking at calendar for 2nd half April and May, June and July events and meeting up with the Farmer hopefully.

I'm thinking in order to drive to the tracks and some canyon running, I'll add stock exhaust to be allowed on the wussy tracks and try to fit in with the locals, NT-01 and a seat with removable halo side things. No AC needed I assume that time of the year, I assume?

Need centralized shop(s) that can keep a 964 running and may be able to flatbed the car to the nearest track.

I'll check back in next week.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:18 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Going to DMV this week to put license plate on RSA, if successful looking at calendar for 2nd half April and May, June and July events and meeting up with the Farmer hopefully.

I'm thinking in order to drive to the tracks and some canyon running, I'll add stock exhaust to be allowed on the wussy tracks and try to fit in with the locals, NT-01 and a seat with removable halo side things. No AC needed I assume that time of the year, I assume?

Need centralized shop(s) that can keep a 964 running and may be able to flatbed the car to the nearest track.

I'll check back in next week.
Are you talking about driving west Peter? I can't imagine driving here, tracking and driving back, but if you do my hat is off to you. June can be anywhere from 60's to 110 degrees. Depending on your date range and your confidence in extended weather forecasts, I'd urge you to be prepared with a cool suit. Thunderhill can get roasting hot in the summer months.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:38 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

If I can make the car street legal I'm thinking shipping the car middle of April and ship it back late July or maybe late September. And keep it at a race shop.

Just canyon running, some DE, some racing maybe? Fly in, fly out.

My truck and trailer (being build now, done mid April) may or may not be able to stay in CA for the summer. Maybe I can park a 46' truck and trailer in front of Mooty's house? I may ship the RSA and have the truck and trailer dropped mid May for my use through the summer and drive the trailer back with the RSA. It's an option.

I'm racing the RSA at PCA at road Atlanta in 2 weeks after that it can go west, perhaps I will do another race "the Mitty" or something also at Road America late April, but than it will be mid may before the car gets to CA.

May-September it's to hot and humid to take the car to the track in Florida for sure, in CA I have a chance it's not too bad.

If I ship the car, I rent an Eclass 911 to do PCA races at Watkins Glenn, Road America and maybe a few more. Watkins Glenn is May 30 and road America is Aug 30. There are also some PCA races on the west coast so maybe DE or race if I can find a support tent.

http://www.pca.org/activities/clubracing/schedule.aspx

If I don't ship the car west, I'll do the races in the RSA but I think it's a good time to do Mancation in CA and maybe drag wifey out to do wine tasting and spa days here or there.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:48 AM
savyboy
Drifting

If I can make the car street legal I'm thinking shipping the car middle of April and ship it back late July or maybe late September. And keep it at a race shop.

Just canyon running, some DE, some racing maybe? Fly in, fly out.

My truck and trailer (being build now, done mid April) may or may not be able to stay in CA for the summer. Maybe I can park a 46' truck and trailer in front of Mooty's house? I may ship the RSA and have the truck and trailer dropped mid May for my use through the summer and drive the trailer back with the RSA. It's an option.

I'm racing the RSA at PCA at road Atlanta in 2 weeks after that it can go west, perhaps I will do another race "the Mitty" or something also at Road America late April, but than it will be mid may before the car gets to CA.

May-September it's to hot and humid to take the car to the track in Florida for sure, in CA I have a chance it's not too bad.

If I ship the car, I rent an Eclass 911 to do PCA races at Watkins Glenn, Road America and maybe a few more. Watkins Glenn is May 30 and road America is Aug 30. There are also some PCA races on the west coast so maybe DE or race if I can find a support tent.

http://www.pca.org/activities/clubracing/schedule.aspx

If I don't ship the car west, I'll do the races in the RSA but I think it's a good time to do Mancation in CA and maybe drag wifey out to do wine tasting and spa days here or there.
Gotcha, sounds like a fun plan! The N CA guys will have good suggestions in regards to logistics. A way to do things is contact Thunderhill and ask about renting space in the paddock/garages to park your rig and use as home base. You could fly in/out of Sacramento, airport is straight down a highway about 1 hr from that track.

I'd love to join the fun but it'll be late May, first of June before I (for sure) have a track worthy car.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:00 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Pete, just rent a car :-)

I have not worked on this car myself and don't really want to so I'll need the car to be at a shop that can do the maintenance and these old cars need more looking after if I do a few events.

I'm pretty flexible if I can leave my truck and trailer there and have a license plate on the racecar.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:11 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Pete, just rent a car :-)

I have not worked on this car myself and don't really want to so I'll need the car to be at a shop that can do the maintenance and these old cars need more looking after if I do a few events.

I'm pretty flexible if I can leave my truck and trailer there and have a license plate on the racecar.
Unless they've closed them, there is both a tire shop and repair shop at the track that can handle most anything aside from an engine rebuild. There is fuel at the track as well.

Tire shop: http://www.thunderhillaimtire.com/
Garages: http://thunderhill.com/staticpages/i...=garagerentals

Not trying to talk you into this but it could be a good solution to address your needs.

I don't have the number of redheads needed to rent a car
Old 03-16-2014, 11:18 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Thanks, LOL!
Old 03-16-2014, 12:00 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,110 Posts

trakcar: if looking for shops or storage in socal can assist here. chuckwalla is one to have on the list. no sound meter either. same at willow. guys are right tho the inland tracks like willow, thunderhill, chuckwalla, buttonwillow get pretty warm by june. im a ***** and dont like the heat so once it hits 100 im done. but it is a dry heat!

oh and for canyon runs i can definitely help with that if in socal. thatll be my summer sport.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:40 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 380 Posts

+1 Canyons. Can help both Socal and Norcal. So many roads; never enough time.

South Bay has a bunch of shops and the secret warehouse. I'm sure you have lots of options.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:08 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,062 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Trakcar, here's some important dates that for track events that you might want to consider...

April 19/20 - Buttonwillow (no sound limits at this track) with Speed Ventures (www.speedventures.com)
May 3/4 - Chuckwalla (no sound limits at this track) with PCA San Diego
May 9-11 - Buttonwillow with PCA Central Region on Friday and PCA GGR on Sat & Sun (our Nor Cal friends)
May 17/18 - Spring Mountain (in NV - no sound limits at this track and nice condo on site) with Speed Ventures
June 28/29 - Laguna Seca (105db limit this weekend) with POC (www.porscheclubracing.org)
July 12/13 - Thunderhill (103db limit) with PCA GGR

The weather at Buttonwillow will probably be 85-90 in April and 90-95 in May, at Chuckwalla it'll be 90-100, Spring Mountain will be around 95, Laguna Seca will be 70-80, and Thunderhill will be around 100. The humidity is a lot lower out here versus in the Southeast so you can deal with it if you stay in the shade and drink lots of water. I will take a break after the Thunderhill event until mid/late Sept as July & Aug are brutal to track at these tracks (105-110+).
Old 03-16-2014, 08:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I have no idea where these places are geographically but I will start planning as soon as I know I can get the car titled. Hopefully this week so I can work on it on the weekend...
Old 03-16-2014, 08:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,753 Likes on 2,357 Posts

excluding willow springs, im
pretty much at the ctr of all CA tracks.

buzz me b4 ur head blows
Old 03-16-2014, 08:27 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Of course...
Old 03-16-2014, 08:35 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,062 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Chuckwalla - Desert Center, CA (40-50 miles east of Indio/Palm Springs, CA)
Buttonwillow - Buttonwillow, CA (40 miles northeast of Bakersfield, CA)
Laguna Seca - Monterey, CA (100 miles south Oakland, CA)
Thunderhill - Willows, CA (75 miles north of Sacramento, CA)
Spring Mountain - Pahrump, NV (45 miles northwest of Las Vegas, NV)

Quick Reply: T hill: private day: 3/13/14