Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 GT3 - Dealer Sales Pitch

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 05:51 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

I really dont understand why you are so much complaing about the 7:34..or maybe it will be 7:32..whatever..

1. This is probably better than the 458 time..

2. Mr Andreas Preuninger said here in this article:
http://www.rennteam.com/forum/page1.html?vs=6

I quote "Unsere Philosophie ist, mit dem nächsten Gt3 Basismodell die Performance des Vorgänger RS zu erreichen. Beim 991 GT3 orientieren wir uns zunächst am RS 3.8"

I leave it to you to translate it..but ist clear that the he does not say that the 991 GT3 will BE AT GT2RS LEVEL.

One more thing, Porsche got hammered by quite a lot of people by having mentioned at the 991 introduction "the new 911 is 14 sec. faster"..the Sport Auto test reveiled a 6 sec. gain - not even half of that - and the car had seriously modified suspension. Probably they will give more accurate lap times now...and are more defensive..

In a few days we will get more info..there will be some info from Porsche released on the 991 GT3..probably also with an indication of its lap time.

But ist clear it will never achieve GT2RS, or Aventador, or MP4-12 performance..therefore we should stop complaining and dreaming..sorry for my direct words.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:25 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The main reason for dissatisfaction a.928 is that according to Porsche's figures, the Carrera S made greater than a 10sec gain from a chassis update and the usual 20hp increase... If the new GT3 has only made a 6 sec gain on the same new chassis "AND" PDK then it has gone backwards! Therefore it should have been left slow as it was because a Mezger, manual, 20 hp and 50kg weight drop would have given the same drop if not more on the new chassis!

Not in the market regardless if its pdk but if the new GT3 doesn't drop sub 7.30, why would one pay 1.5 times Carrera S money for a slightly juiced up Carrera S? If I was in the market, I'd want to be convinced that the new is much better than the old through significantly superior performance in all aspects...

As for the 458 time, no use in aiming to just beat it by a little. They'll have a replacement out in a couple of years and I bet it won't be doing 7.37...

A week or two and we'll know for the details... Just fun making any Porsche people reading this sweat it if their car is less than amazing
Old 02-12-2013, 06:56 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911rox
The main reason for dissatisfaction a.928 is that according to Porsche's figures, the Carrera S made greater than a 10sec gain from a chassis update and the usual 20hp increase... If the new GT3 has only made a 6 sec gain on the same new chassis "AND" PDK then it has gone backwards! Therefore it should have been left slow as it was because a Mezger, manual, 20 hp and 50kg weight drop would have given the same drop if not more on the new chassis!

Not in the market regardless if its pdk but if the new GT3 doesn't drop sub 7.30, why would one pay 1.5 times Carrera S money for a slightly juiced up Carrera S? If I was in the market, I'd want to be convinced that the new is much better than the old through significantly superior performance in all aspects...

As for the 458 time, no use in aiming to just beat it by a little. They'll have a replacement out in a couple of years and I bet it won't be doing 7.37...

A week or two and we'll know for the details... Just fun making any Porsche people reading this sweat it if their car is less than amazing
Hi 911 rox,

fully agree..but this is Porsche Marketings mistake..but where does it end? Will the 992 be 14 seconds fastert then 7:37?..I would have to laugh..

Its very difficult to make a fast car..even faster. If you talk to industry experts..its clear that 7:30 around the Nürburgring is a major thershold..

Just a note - the record of the 962 of roughly 6:40..will probably be never broken....

Lets enjoy our GT3s..no matter if 991 or 997..
Old 02-12-2013, 07:07 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by a.928
Hi 911 rox,

fully agree..but this is Porsche Marketings mistake..but where does it end? Will the 992 be 14 seconds fastert then 7:37?..I would have to laugh..

Its very difficult to make a fast car..even faster. If you talk to industry experts..its clear that 7:30 around the Nürburgring is a major thershold..

Just a note - the record of the 962 of roughly 6:40..will probably be never broken....

Haha, no we don't expect 14 sec gains with each model release but as a one off, considering the GT3 time usually improves by 6-8 sec, with the inclusion now of PDK there should be an added benefit of a few seconds from that. Subsequent cars will all have PDK so this further gain wouldn't be expected with each further release.

If PDK can't provide the further gains, they should have had enough respect for their enthusiast GT following to offer a manual option too...
Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

i went to the local porsche dealer tonight for the club meeting, and i don't remember seeing any manual transmission.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

...... If the new GT3 has only made a 6 sec gain

....... if its pdk but if the new GT3 doesn't drop sub 7.30, why would one pay 1.5 times Carrera S money for a slightly juiced up Carrera S?

........if their car is less than amazing

.........If PDK can't provide the further gains, they should have had enough respect for their enthusiast GT following to offer a manual option too...
I understand what you're saying, Chris, but as I keep saying, too many if's based on way too little real info.....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 02-12-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by a.928
Hi 911 rox,

You make some valid points, however, from generation to generation you'd expect a big step change. I mean, if the 3.8RS lapped the 'ring 3 or 4 seconds faster than the 3.8 standard, you say "OK" and pay the $15-25K premium.

However, when going from one generation to the next, with a new engine, a new gearbox, a new chassis, new tires, and, most importantly, a new price tag, then it better be something pretty big.

Like with the 997.1, actually it was a pretty big disappointment if you compare to the 996.2. Not much difference between them. But then again it was still a $100K car

The 997.2 was a big, big jump. Its what the car should have been in the first place and I don't think anyone complained about the price vs what they were getting.

So lets see what Porsche does. If they are targeting the 3.8RS (to protect the 4.0 maybe, or simply they want to leave room for the 991 RS, the 991.2, and the 991.2 RS), then I think a lot of existing customers will be alienated. OTOH, lots of new customers may jump on the bandwagon. Maybe thats what they want.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:36 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Hmmm...how best to describe most threads.

1. Much Ado about Nothing
2. A Comedy of Errors
3. As You Like It
4. Love's Labour's Lost
5. All's Well that Ends Well...

or

6. Tempest (more likely storm in a teacup)

With sincere apologies to the Bard.
Fixed it.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

So, this video got me thinking.
Always dangerous, but I thought for only a minute. Perhaps 2..

Let's ay OP is right.

If the GT3 has all this electronic steering, torque vectoring, PDK and the rest of the alphabet crap, etc. and they do the same to an RS.. Then probably the new track weapon of choice is the new 991TTS.

AWD is only a 110lbs heavier than a RWD.. If we are going the bully route in a crappy feeling car that does it for you anyway, we might as well beat up on some GTR's and the 991 might last instead of overheat on lap 6.

So, TTS with slicks, tune it to reduce lag, GT3RS wing (Whatever that will be) all the CUP car suspension bits, a nice fat *** like the RS and you can bully all the GTR's and 4.0's out there. It probably feels like **** on the track the way a current TTS does, but than again, so will the 991 GT3 and RS right?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4jOQFMlpdVI

Let's ay OP is right.

If the GT3 has all this electronic steering, torque vectoring, PDK and the rest of the alphabet crap, etc. and they do the same to an RS.. Then probably the new track weapon of choice is the new 991TTS.

AWD is only a 110lbs heavier than a RWD.. If we are going the bully route in a crappy feeling car that does it for you anyway, we might as well beat up on some GTR's and the 991 might last instead of overheat on lap 6.

So, TTS with slicks, tune it to reduce lag, GT3RS wing (Whatever that will be) all the CUP car suspension bits, a nice fat *** like the RS and you can bully all the GTR's and 4.0's out there. It probably feels like **** on the track the way a current TTS does, but than again, so will the 991 GT3 and RS right?
Peter, are you available as an inspirational speaker?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:22 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

You feel inspired? Subscribe to TCN now!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:51 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4jOQFMlpdVI

Let's ay OP is right.

Yup so true but it will be a 991ttt (triple turbo), I wonder if the script on the back will read "triple turbo", my guess it will be a big seller in China.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

...a modded pdk 997 tts will destroy RSs no problem. No need to wait for the 991 version.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Agreed 100% but now we have a choice with GT3's feeling awesome in your hands knowing you balance the car through the corner..

When that choice is gone, why than not go for the best lap time??
Old 02-13-2013, 09:50 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

You feel inspired? Subscribe to TCN now!
Haha!

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 - Dealer Sales Pitch