997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Definitive 991 GT3-Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013 | 12:26 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I just placed a deposit (Reeves in Tampa, they honored my 2008 deposit for my 2010RS, no issues )to be first on the list of right of first refusal of the new 991.2RS 4.8 limited and final edition to the US (China gets the real final 5.0 exclusively) MY 2021..

You can program it at pit out and can optimize Torque vectoring MANUALLY on the fly and watch it win. This option will be popularized by the largest customer base in 2018 (before China takes #1) familiar with Camel racing while sitting in their Lexus LX before Cayennes take over.

The std color for China will be pink metallic and stretched wheelbase will exclusive to the 5.0 but all model option on the next generation 992.
Old 01-28-2013 | 12:37 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Peter, you do know how ridiculous you sound, right? The color choice for China's final edition 5.0l will of course be Commie Red with Gold trim, and all chassis will be numbered with 88 as the final digits with no 4s!
Old 01-28-2013 | 12:48 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Right about the numbers but red/gold is reserved for the Ferrari loving communistst. Pink is the new color in China.

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 01-28-2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: looks weird, no signature?
Old 01-28-2013 | 12:59 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Guest89
The 991 Cup car has a clutch pedal (because it has sequential, NOT PDK) and the Mezger engine. If the GT3 has that setup, then I won't complain.
A racing type sequential box is impractical for the street. When used in manual mode, PDK is as close to a true sequential for street use as one is going to get and it operates in practice, if not mechanically, in much the same way as it's racing cousin. I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else that you should prefer PDK over a MT, even though I've come around to that point myself. I am saying that sequential style transmissions are the present and future in motorsport, and Porsche is being totally consistent by going that direction with their new motorsport based street car.

I think it would be great if Porsche kept offering MT's for those that want them. I can understand why they might not do it.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 01-28-2013 at 02:41 AM.
Old 01-28-2013 | 02:00 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

^^^ This.

The GT3 gets MT at the momment, Cup cars get SQ MT so they are very different. I'd guess the 991 Cup is an evolution on the SQ MT found in the 997 Cup.

PDK is the way. Those seeking MT in 2013 and on will have reducing makes and models to chose from across the board. Ferrari, Lambo's, Mclaren, Pagani etc and now Porsche all now sporting manual- sequential automated boxes and mainly of the twin clutch variety.
Old 01-28-2013 | 02:03 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
As for options, give me a pair of GT2 sport buckets at $3K and that's the only extra I'd need.
Mike, you will not need to spend $3K for the sport buckets, they will be a no cost standard on any new 991 gt3 or gt3 RS!

Originally Posted by Mvez
Can anyone explain to me the point of offering a manual option in the other 991 models, but not the GT3?
991 will be used mostly in street. gt3 will be used mostly on the track. Times are a-changing!

A racing type sequential box is impractical for the street
I thought we had an interesting conversation about this last summer on this forum, along with some speculation about the future gt3 transmissions:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...eculation.html

I think it would be good if Porsche kept offering MT's for those that want them. I can understand why they might not do so.
I don't think PAG think will offer manuals on any future gt3's, period. And they will soon stop offering them on regular 911's, Boxster's and Cayman's too! Nothing to do with demands of consumers, many of whom (like me & many of you) would always prefer a manual. It will be due to new regulations by DOT’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the EPA! Soon, the gasoline consumption requirements in this country & the EU will force the manufacturers to abandon manual transmissions all together! Remember the government has mandated an increase fuel economy to the equivalent of 54.5 mpg for cars and light-duty trucks by Model Year 2025! That is for fleet averages. Regardless now Porsche being part of the larger Wolfsburg-based auto empire, that is still one tough mandate to meet, even for VW! This will only be accomplished by computerized & automated 'shifting' across the line. And I don't think VW is not going to let Porsche get an exception for a manual in the gt3 or any other model! Otherwise, Audi, Lambo, Bugatti and Bentley will cry foul since they have equally fuel inefficient engines that need to be redesigned at great cost to help meet these draconian 54.5 mpg mandates! My dos centavos, for what is worth.

Saludos,
Eduardo

Last edited by Z356; 01-28-2013 at 02:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-28-2013 | 02:30 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I remember that thread Eduardo and I think it's about to be proven that you were correct in your speculation. I hope you're also right about the sport buckets being standard on the 991 GT3!
Old 01-28-2013 | 02:45 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z356
Mike, you will not need to spend $3K for the sport buckets, they will be a no cost standard on any new 991 gt3 or gt3 RS!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Are you sure? I have no reason to doubt you - based on history, you're very closed to the company and have rarely (if ever?) been wrong.

I remember that thread Eduardo and I think it's about to be proven that you were correct in your speculation. I hope you're also right about the sport buckets being standard on the 991 GT3!
We can agree on that.
Old 01-28-2013 | 02:57 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Guest89
you're very closed to the company and have rarely (if ever?) been wrong.
Ha! I am not close to the company at all, although like many in this forum, I have limited contacts with some in the rank & file. And I am wrong all the time, just ask my wife! But I will buy Mike a beer if he doesn't get sport bucket seats in his 991 gt3 for 'free'!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 01-28-2013 | 03:57 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I know a few people with the 991. Most are uninspired by the new engine, but the main problem is that the 991 was "sold" as a .2 gt3 beater. Or at least thats what stuck after seeing the 'ring time. The car is NOT a .2 gt3 beater, and as far as extreme porsche's go, it isn't at all.

Now, the gt3 is another animal. The core problem for most people - including myself - is what engine is it going to get. Is it getting the 9a1, making it a Carrera on steroids? Then I'm not interested. Is it getting a 9a1 but ahhhh there is a race version of the 9a1 and its similar etc? Then I'm interested but will not be first mover into this car, let someone else suffer all the teething issues.

So what does it have? I'm thinking horses not zebras so 99% likelihood its one of the two options above.

In which case I don't see any scenario where I would buy the 991 gt3. Maybe the RS if the mystery of Porsche's next gen motorsport engine has been revealed. Otherwise I will keep my .1 and maybe keep my eye open for a .2 rs or even a 4.0 and skip a gen or two till Porsche remembers what a sports car is.

** I do agree with someone above that Porsche got taken by surprise by the competition in GT. Witness the $100K "upgrade" package on the GT3-R, puts out I think 600hp now and still not really competitive vs. Merc/BMW!!!
Old 01-28-2013 | 06:39 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

I don't think PAG think will offer manuals on any future gt3's, period. And they will soon stop offering them on regular 911's, Boxster's and Cayman's too! Nothing to do with demands of consumers, many of whom (like me & many of you) would always prefer a manual. It will be due to new regulations by DOT’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the EPA! Soon, the gasoline consumption requirements in this country & the EU will force the manufacturers to abandon manual transmissions all together! Remember the government has mandated an increase fuel economy to the equivalent of 54.5 mpg for cars and light-duty trucks by Model Year 2025! That is for fleet averages. Regardless now Porsche being part of the larger Wolfsburg-based auto empire, that is still one tough mandate to meet, even for VW! This will only be accomplished by computerized & automated 'shifting' across the line. And I don't think VW is not going to let Porsche get an exception for a manual in the gt3 or any other model! Otherwise, Audi, Lambo, Bugatti and Bentley will cry foul since they have equally fuel inefficient engines that need to be redesigned at great cost to help meet these draconian 54.5 mpg mandates! My dos centavos, for what is worth.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Z356, this makes a whole lot of sense to me as a plausible reason why Porsche may be choosing to be taking the suggested pathway with trans options.

What is sad however is that they didn't go about it the other way around and that is to phase out MTs in the rest of their lineup where people are less passionate and more label or status driven and leave it as an option for the minority group of customers who actually appreciate the manual trans (ie GT3 and RS)... Either way, a dumbass move on their part IMO

As many have said, we aren't racers... its about driver involvement and the connection with the car that one develops... For marketing purposes, they could just set fastest laps etc in a PDK optioned car and slap themselves over the achievement if that is most important to them!

Last edited by 911rox; 01-28-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-28-2013 | 09:26 AM
BG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fc-racer
People and companies leak information all the time. We see it in the stock market before major announcements come out. Sometimes companies (ie, Apple) use intentional leaks to create buzz.

We're only two months away from the launch so it's highly plausible that these folks are in the know, and don't care if a few thousand people on rennlist speculate on the final specification.
We'll have to revisit this topic after the official release in March.
I'm not saying it's not possible, just not likely.
Old 01-28-2013 | 10:05 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

No manual, 20" center locks with a panamera center console. Doesn't sound like anything I'd dream of.
Old 01-28-2013 | 02:02 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

....I don't think PAG think will offer manuals on any future gt3's, period. And they will soon stop offering them on regular 911's, Boxster's and Cayman's too! Nothing to do with demands of consumers, many of whom (like me & many of you) would always prefer a manual. It will be due to new regulations by DOT’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the EPA! Soon, the gasoline consumption requirements in this country & the EU will force the manufacturers to abandon manual transmissions all together! Remember the government has mandated an increase fuel economy to the equivalent of 54.5 mpg for cars and light-duty trucks by Model Year 2025! That is for fleet averages. Regardless now Porsche being part of the larger Wolfsburg-based auto empire, that is still one tough mandate to meet, even for VW! This will only be accomplished by computerized & automated 'shifting' across the line. And I don't think VW is not going to let Porsche get an exception for a manual in the gt3 or any other model! Otherwise, Audi, Lambo, Bugatti and Bentley will cry foul since they have equally fuel inefficient engines that need to be redesigned at great cost to help meet these draconian 54.5 mpg mandates! My dos centavos, for what is worth.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Hi Eduardo,

Well, your words especially about the fuel consumption are correct I would say. However, one fundamental issue - the difference between Porsche and Lambo - despite being part of the same company is "huge" - in legal terms. The EU laws, also the future ones, make a cut between a "small manufacturer" or a "big one". Porsche will have to play by the same technical rules as VW, Toyota etc. However, Lambo, ferrari, aston, mclaren have due to their small number of units sold, the possibility to produce "more polluting cars for a longer time".

As much as I am a Porsche fan..but its clear that Porsche is dropping out of the "sports car" as one of the first ones..in fact they are already doing it - they have to comply by 2018 with a completely new level of C02 fleet emissions...and as we are writing here on Rennlist - they are only "operating" in the US by a federal exemption...I guess you are aware of it.

Ferrari, and Lambo..on the other hand..can enjoy life as it is..of course they have to become more economical too..but no EU LAW WILL FORCE THEM TO RESPECT 150C2 by 2018-2021..

That is the huge difference..and this will dictate Porsche products for the next years..and believe me...there will be a hybrid 911..not so far away from today..
Old 01-28-2013 | 02:25 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jumper5836
No manual, 20" center locks with a panamera center console. Doesn't sound like anything I'd dream of.
Cannot understand PCNA's rational (other than cool looking) for mandatory centerlocks and now 20" standard wheels. I can understand their direction to PDK, however.

Quick Reply: Definitive 991 GT3-Part 2