Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Definitive 991 GT3-Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:13 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Porsche is in the GT racing business. In the last several years the competition has increased ten fold. They need to meet that competition. Motorsport should drive development. The new GT3 will reflect what the motor sport group uses in racing.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:45 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 648 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by BG
No offense but why would 3 senior Porsche techs. tell you what is otherwise secret information. People are fired for releasing this type of information before the official release. Sorry but I wouldn't take it too seriously.
They were far from just techs! Look at the posted link from 2 years ago. Seems like my info (from 2 yrs ago) was pretty spot on eh??
Old 01-27-2013, 05:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Well done.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:21 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

First time I've seen those wheels --- looks too busy

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
GT3's on test ...look uncamou'ed....just outside Alice Springs

http://aussieexotics.com/photo/?pic=...6555-n&pstr=RS
Old 01-27-2013, 05:31 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

Great stuff!
I count 9 guys who want a manual on this thread and probably 5000 more porsche enthusiast/near enthusiast who will buy the PDK and cruise the boulevard.

I welcome any engineering that will save me time in a race, as long as the technology won't break down during the race.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Mamba
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from Daytona myself and I spent some time in the Porsche hospitality tent. While I didn't hear the conversation, I will confirm there were several very senior members there. I wouldn't bet against rosenbergendo on this.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:36 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GentlemanRacer
Great stuff!
I welcome any engineering that will save me time in a race, as long as the technology won't break down during the race.
And this is where your dream will likely come apart! Don't get me wrong, your dealership will love taking your money to sort it out
Old 01-27-2013, 05:58 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
So I am sure everyone remembers my post right after (during) last year's 24 hours of Daytona. Well, once again I tracked down the three most senior Porsche people at the 24 for info and here is what was gleaned.

10000% PDK only-Absolutely 100% no manual all three said the same thing. There is something unique about this box. It will be lightweight and there is some surprise that the motorsport people all mentioned?? Maybe maybe there will be a manual offered for the RS but it is not decided yet.

Motor-we talked for a long time with head of motorsport about this. Chris Harris posted that 991 Cup will get Gt1 block but next GT3 wont. Well the good news is....the engine isnt the 9A1. It is a new motorsport motor with DFI. 9a2?? It will rev to 9K with titanium con rods etc like out engines have. 460-486 hp for Gt3 with 3.8 and 4.0 liter 500hp for RS.

150-180 lb loss of weight below my 997.2 GT3 through use of lightweight components.

PDCC standard with torque vectoring.
Rear steer is not decided yet. One guy said yes, the other 2 said no.
Figure 140k base price for base car.
They seemed very excited about the car and said it will be spectacular. We will see!
Hi rosenbergendo,

thanks for the info...more or less what I heard/know too - but Im far away from Daytona..

Just 3 more things:

1)Weight saving: I doubt this..Porsche may claim this..but I would like to see it veryfied...like no magazine could confirm Porsches weight saving numbers for 997 vs 991

2) engine will not use titanium rods...but I might be wrong..

3) rev to 9000rpm - before the redline starts? so if redline starts at 9000 - the engine must sustain also close to - or 10,000rpm...this i would doubt..but I guess youre just reporting what has been told.

ah, the price of 140k is also what I heard..
Old 01-27-2013, 06:01 PM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

PDK's taking over at Porsche production line. Soon no more Porsche MT cars !!

Wonder if we gona experience similar phenomena, as happened in post oil-cooled era. Meaning, pre-PDK Porsche eventually increases in value, over time!?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

The RS market all but dried up..going into the winter...
Aren't we already seeing this?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,894 Likes on 975 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
They were far from just techs! Look at the posted link from 2 years ago. Seems like my info (from 2 yrs ago) was pretty spot on eh??
Everything remains speculation for now though I doubt 200lb weight loss and we already know the Mezger motor is not dead yet.

Me too. But I don't race my street cars.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The RS market all but dried up..going into the winter...
Aren't we already seeing this?
Yup.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:38 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Great stuff!
I count 9 guys who want a manual on this thread and probably 5000 more porsche enthusiast/near enthusiast who will buy the PDK and cruise the boulevard.

Hey, dont know if you forgot my voice..Im in for manual too.

Nonetheless, I agree - you have a valid point..but you cannot deny either that so far 100% of the GT3 GT2 customers were manual ones..so now Porsche is changing from 100% manual - to 100% PDK..

Pretty strange stuff I would say..from a "customer relationship point of view"..a desaster I would say. If they would offer both for another 5 years or so..OK..customers could get prepared for it...
Old 01-27-2013, 06:46 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by a.928
Hey, dont know if you forgot my voice..Im in for manual too.

Nonetheless, I agree - you have a valid point..but you cannot deny either that so far 100% of the GT3 GT2 customers were manual ones..so now Porsche is changing from 100% manual - to 100% PDK..

Pretty strange stuff I would say..from a "customer relationship point of view"..a desaster I would say. If they would offer both for another 5 years or so..OK..customers could get prepared for it...
+1 to everything

I know people that stopped buying new Fiats once they dropped manuals.
It doesn't hurt their market, but those are customers lost for good...
Old 01-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 145 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
140 base + 20 options + 15 market price adjustment = 175 likely sticker .. which is still good value compared to a pre-owned MP4. I could totally live with PDK if they improve the UI. The Maserati has sold me on paddles.
My dealer doesn't do "market price adjustments" and if they tried it on me, after buying 5 vehicles from them, they'd lose my business permanently. As for options, give me a pair of GT2 sport buckets at $3K and that's the only extra I'd need.

Originally Posted by Guest89
Obviously they didn't plan for it to happen like this: Introduce all-new direct injection engine at massive expense with the 997.2 face lift, then determine it's unsuitable for racing, so have to engineer a brand-new motorsports engine just a few years later. Not cheap.
There has been differentiation between the regular production street engine and the race powerplant for years. I wouldn't make the assumption that the DFI engine intro'd with the 997.2 was ever intended to replace the Mezger. It was designed primarily for the street car. If the info in this thread is correct, we're just now finding out about an engine worthy of the new GT3, and also what the Mezger's replacement will be.

Originally Posted by nigt3
I hate the way everyone believes the mezger will not mate to pdk, its absolute nonsense!!! Porsche could mate it to pdk if they want, but the don't!!
The question is, why would they want to? To my mind this is good evidence for the info in this thread that there is a real motorsport based replacement in the pipeline for the Mezger, and it will show up in the new GT3. If you're getting ready to supercede the previous engine, what's the point of mating the old technology to PDK?
Old 01-27-2013, 07:12 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911GT3
Not sure how secure I am about that.
hahaha!
this is the crux of the issue right here.

Quick Reply: Definitive 991 GT3-Part 2