Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Definitive 991 GT3-Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
There has been differentiation between the regular production street engine and the race powerplant for years. I wouldn't make the assumption that the DFI engine intro'd with the 997.2 was ever intended to replace the Mezger. It was designed primarily for the street car. If the info in this thread is correct, we're just now finding out about an engine worthy of the new GT3, and also what the Mezger's replacement will be.
Yes, but recall that every air-cooled 911 has a "Mezger" engine with a split-crankcase and direct ties to the racing cars. It's only a comparatively recent change in which the company realized that the standard engine wasn't up to the task of winning endurance races (1998).

Don't get me wrong - I would love it if Porsche built a new, state of the art, lightweight, efficient, middle finger to the accountants motorsport engine and then put something very similar into the GT3. But it doesn't look like they will.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Yes, but recall that every air-cooled 911 has a "Mezger" engine with a split-crankcase and direct ties to the racing cars. It's only a comparatively recent change in which the company realized that the standard engine wasn't up to the task of winning endurance races (1998).

Don't get me wrong - I would love it if Porsche built a new, state of the art, lightweight, efficient, middle finger to the accountants motorsport engine and then put something very similar into the GT3. But it doesn't look like they will.
Ok, but it seems that based on what I'm reading here, they are building that kick-*** motor for the new GT3 and motorsport. Why do you say it doesn't look like they will? Do you think this latest news is BS? Whatever. The speculation and questions will be answered very soon now.....
Old 01-27-2013, 07:54 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRanger
All you guys who hate paddles ... stop it.
This will be a great car. It will be fast ... faster.
We have not even heard of what suspension/chassis work Porsche has brought to the table with this car.
Stop hating paddles.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
No..........

Originally Posted by RSRanger
Allow me to ask a question.
How many of you "paddle" haters have driven an SMG, DCT or PDK?
I can personally speak about the SMG III and DCT. They are fast and fricken fast respectably. They make a BMW awesome, well just imagine how much better Porsche can develop the R&D and develop a GT3/RS with the "paddles" so many of you appear to hate.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
I can, do not like any of them. Least of all BMW SMG. It was jerky and not smooth at all, would bet money I could beat that in a non afterthought manual unlike the one BMW conceded to put into the M5.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:35 PM
NBTBRV8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taken from www.aussieexotics.com

Spotted in the Northern Territory in Australia for some hot weather testing:

Old 01-27-2013, 08:59 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
They were far from just techs! Look at the posted link from 2 years ago. Seems like my info (from 2 yrs ago) was pretty spot on eh??
We'll all find out in March.
Why would they give you this information? What possible reason would they have?
Everyone is trying to find out the specs. on this car but they decided to tell you, just doesn't make sense.
I don't mean any offense it just doesn't make sense to me especially if they were higher up in the organization.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:24 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 625 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by BG
Everyone is trying to find out the specs. on this car but they decided to tell you, just doesn't make sense.
I don't mean any offense it just doesn't make sense to me especially if they were higher up in the organization.
Ok it goes down like this. The motorsport heads are all in the paddock and in the corral over the weekend. They either see my 997.2 Gt3 or I just start out chatting with them casually. I dont just roll into "hey does the 991 GT3 have PDK or not?". I have found over the last 10 years the motorsport people at the track tend to be pretty liberal with the info as if they are talking to another racer per say. As one very Senior motorsport person told me "We dont care about the street car per say, we just care that they give us a solid base".
Old 01-27-2013, 09:32 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Can anyone explain to me the point of offering a manual option in the other 991 models, but not the GT3? No way they go from all manual to all PDk. Sure, initial car will be PDk for performance figures to justify price, and wow the world, and to sell cars to people who cant drive a stick, but there will be a manual option at some point, I don't care what some bigwigs at Daytona say........that is unless their master plan is to get all of us to switch to Carrera S models.....pure genius.

The street car will start to move away from Motorsport more and more, agreed on that point.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by BG
I see 3 possible scenarios:

a: rosenbergendo is making all of this up.
b: the daytona guys were making all of this up.
c: the daytona guys were giving rosenbergendo straight scoop and he's passing it on to us.

Talk about making sense, a and b don't, to me. What would be the point of rosen jerking us around or them jerking him around? Call me crazy, I vote for c.

Originally Posted by Mvez
Can anyone explain to me the point of offering a manual option in the other 991 models, but not the GT3? No way they go from all manual to all PDk. Sure, initial car will be PDk for performance figures to justify price, and wow the world, and to sell cars to people who cant drive a stick, but there will be a manual option at some point, I don't care what some bigwigs at Daytona say........that is unless their master plan is to get all of us to switch to Carrera S models.....pure genius.

The street car will start to move away from Motorsport more and more, agreed on that point.
MT's are still available in tamer 991 models because Porsche is mindful of tradition and customer interest, which is waning, and in most cases has absolutely zero to do with whether someone can drive a MT or not. Many of us have decades of experience driving stick and prefer PDK not just because it's faster and more flexible, but because it's fun. That last part, at least is subjective, but then so is the preference for a MT. We can agree to disagree on which is "best", at least.

Virtually no one uses MT's in motorsport, and Porsche's high end competitors don't have them in their street cars anymore. If the presence of PDK, maybe even exclusively, in the new GT3 is your evidence that the street car is moving away from motorsport, I'd argue exactly the opposite. No one will be building new race cars with manual boxes. The "race bred" street GT3 is simply following the motorsport trend. My $.02.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 01-27-2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: sp
Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BG
People and companies leak information all the time. We see it in the stock market before major announcements come out. Sometimes companies (ie, Apple) use intentional leaks to create buzz.

We're only two months away from the launch so it's highly plausible that these folks are in the know, and don't care if a few thousand people on rennlist speculate on the final specification.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:07 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by NBTBRV8
Taken from www.aussieexotics.com

Spotted in the Northern Territory in Australia for some hot weather testing:

I hope these are the production wheels. Too bad the rear aero will likely look like the aerokit on the standard 991.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:29 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Virtually no one uses MT's in motorsport, and Porsche's high end competitors don't have them in their street cars anymore. If the presence of PDK, maybe even exclusively, in the new GT3 is your evidence that the street car is moving away from motorsport, I'd argue exactly the opposite. No one will be building new race cars with manual boxes. The "race bred" street GT3 is simply following the motorsport trend. My $.02.
Fair enough, as far as the transmission goes. But using an entirely different engine from the one they race represents a bigger divergence between race car and street car than past practice.

If Porsche ultimately starts using the new street car engine in motorsport and develops it in endurance racing, the divergence will be eliminated. Most track-junkie type buyers would just like to see the motorsport development happen first, and that doesn’t seem unreasonable to me.

BTW, as much as I love the Mezger, I don’t see any reason why Porsche can’t use modern tools such as DFI, CFD design SW, faster electronics, etc., to produce an outstanding new motor that beats the Mezger in every respect. In fact, I’m confident it’ll happen eventually, and probably soon. Exposure to the rigors of motorsport will be useful in exposing any weak links in the initial design. Can Porsche hit a home run on the first swing and build a bulletproof motor that holds up to repeated track use and doesn’t need any sorting on track? Maybe; time will tell. But I’d rather not be the early adopter who proves it one way or the other.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:30 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Is it just the picture or is that a horribly mangled FR wheel in the foremost car? I'm not digging this style of rims for one, and they're not standing up to mule duty either
Old 01-27-2013, 11:56 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

The 991 Cup car has a clutch pedal (because it has sequential, NOT PDK) and the Mezger engine. If the GT3 has that setup, then I won't complain.

Originally Posted by fc-racer
People and companies leak information all the time. We see it in the stock market before major announcements come out. Sometimes companies (ie, Apple) use intentional leaks to create buzz.

We're only two months away from the launch so it's highly plausible that these folks are in the know, and don't care if a few thousand people on rennlist speculate on the final specification.
+1 - Human nature to want to impress someone and gain status as a result of your privileged, secret info.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:09 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Is it just the picture or is that a horribly mangled FR wheel in the foremost car? I'm not digging this style of rims for one, and they're not standing up to mule duty either
I think that's a strap around the wheel.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:12 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by fbirch
Fair enough, as far as the transmission goes. But using an entirely different engine from the one they race represents a bigger divergence between race car and street car than past practice.

If Porsche ultimately starts using the new street car engine in motorsport and develops it in endurance racing, the divergence will be eliminated. Most track-junkie type buyers would just like to see the motorsport development happen first, and that doesn’t seem unreasonable to me.

BTW, as much as I love the Mezger, I don’t see any reason why Porsche can’t use modern tools such as DFI, CFD design SW, faster electronics, etc., to produce an outstanding new motor that beats the Mezger in every respect. In fact, I’m confident it’ll happen eventually, and probably soon. Exposure to the rigors of motorsport will be useful in exposing any weak links in the initial design. Can Porsche hit a home run on the first swing and build a bulletproof motor that holds up to repeated track use and doesn’t need any sorting on track? Maybe; time will tell. But I’d rather not be the early adopter who proves it one way or the other.
A reasonable POV. The development timeline you describe would be ideal. I'd suggest that the convergence of several factors, including the need to develop a new street GT3 at the same time that the Mezger is becoming less competitive with other manufacturer's more modern and efficient DFI engines is changing the equation. I suppose Porsche could wait a few years to release a new GT3. This would allow their latest, much needed motorsport engine to get sorted and earn it's stripes before it goes in the street car. But that would leave a big hole in their production car offerings which, after all, are what helps pay the racing bills.

So if the rumors are true, we get the new street GT3 engine at about the same time that the motorsport guys get the race version. As you say, time will tell if that is a plus or not.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 01-28-2013 at 02:38 AM. Reason: sp

Quick Reply: Definitive 991 GT3-Part 2