Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

the 997.1 looks pretty cute next to the 991.... almost 993 cute
Old 09-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
...the front shot of the vehicle is totally without camouflage so we can now see what the car is likely to look like.
There is still camo on the front of that car. Look at the 991 optional AeroKit for what the upcoming GT3 will likely look like.
Originally Posted by NJ-GT
...demand for the GT3 gets stronger with every new version, and the GT3 owners are loyal to the GT3 badge, so it is a growing market.
...as the GT3 gets softer, and more appealing to a wider group of people.
Originally Posted by Macca
We are all behind you on the price, however Im afraid its unlikely to be. Its already confirmed by those in the know that the 991 GT3 will have a higher retail price than the 997.2 GT3. Remember not only have three years passed but also Euro-US exchange rates have changed and besides the 991 base models have seen a price hike I believe to reflect the more advanced materials used (or perhaps just the increased margins required by VAG!). Then there is the PDK box if this comes to pass as a mandatory fitment. That's not free unfortunately...
The flip-side is that Porsche continues to reduce the cost of manufacturing (the Mezger motor was very expensive to build), and IMO margins will decrease under VAG in order to reach their lofty sales goals for Porsche and VW as a whole.
Originally Posted by Guest89
How will the engine be oiled? True or "integrated" dry sump?
For me, that is the big question. A 991 with enhanced PowerKit, some of the S performance options as standard, and an AeroKit does not a GT3 make. The brand will have seriously lost their way (if it can be argued that it hasn't already) if there is not a direct link to a racing drivetrain.
Originally Posted by axhoaxho
In Porsche tradition, it usually will market an innocently-just-a-little-more-expensive base price than the previous model, but have a criminally-super-expensive-and-long option list to hit our wallet.

I anticipate that new 991 GT3 base price might not be too much more than the 997.2 GT3, but will have a whole new list of drooling options that makes the out-the-door price much higher than before.
I think so, too.
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
And this time you have to tick all the "performance options" to make it faster, unless the GT3RS comes with the smart suspension and torque vectoring, etc standard...
Unfortunately, I think both the GT3 and RS will be more GTR than GT3. I hope I'm wrong...
Old 09-19-2012, 07:47 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

I also hope it is no GTRized. Nothing wrong with the GTR per se but like my cars more analog.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:52 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

I agree with Alan.

For now let's just wait for the 2013 Supercup cars.
I want to see the motor, steering and drivetrain. Then, we can compare them with the street cars..
Old 09-19-2012, 07:53 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
In Porsche tradition, it usually will market an innocently-just-a-little-more-expensive base price than the previous model, but have a criminally-super-expensive-and-long option list to hit our wallet.

I anticipate that new 991 GT3 base price might not be too much more than the 997.2 GT3, but will have a whole new list of drooling options that makes the out-the-door price much higher than before.
Some of us eventually figure it out
Old 09-19-2012, 08:10 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

So I looked at the price increase in the US for all the released 991 models from base C2 to C4S cab. And they are all in the range of 5.5% - 7.5%. If the GT3 sticks to the same formula - it's MSRP should be around $125k. Even if the price increase is 10%, it will be $127k. So I think there is a good chance the price will be south of $130k. Of course options are a completely different matter.

BTW, hi, have been a long time reader, but this is probably my first post.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:03 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
+1 I think (and hope) you're right. If the delta between the 997 S/997 GT3 and a 991 S/991 GT3 remains relatively constant U.S. MSRP might actually be slightly less than $132-135K.
Traditionally for the last couple go arounds a GT3 was priced right at a Carrera S with power kit, aero, sports suspension and sport design wheels. Which would put it in this range...except the PDK is planned to be standard with a 7-sp manual option. Based on the cost of PDK with sports chrono (to get PDEM), PDCC and PTV; base price will likely be about $10K more than this. Also with the introduction of the S powerkit a regular S sticker can now surpass $150K, this is another indication that GT3 stickers will see a significant rise.

BTW, Sport Auto only got a 8:44 ring time out a a 991S PDK, not quite meeting Porsche's claims. This is though only 4 seconds slower than what they got in a 997.2 GT3, 4 seconds faster than they got in a 997.1 GT3 and 6 seconds faster than they got in a 997.2 S w/PDK and sport suspension.

The engine in the 991 GT3 is DEFINITELY a 9A1 based engine as the PDK can't matte up to a Metzger engine. It is planned to be a 4.0L (9A1 3.8l block with 9A1 3.6l crank) and hence the RS 4.0L real purpose was not only to say farewell to the Metzger engines, but also to introduce the next models displacement. The Metzger engine's death is even confirmed with the recent purchase by Porsche of enough Metger engine blocks to support just 2 years of their race program. It is going to be disappointing to see a GT3 that doesn't have a common engine with the GT3 with the RSR and Cup cars.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

10 GT3

That's some very interesting information to add to the thread.

I am wondering what Porsche Motorsports have downstream if they only have enough engines for 2 years of Motorsport.

I believe the 991 Cup should be revealed before year end and this will confirm at least there is a Metzger engine on board....
Old 09-20-2012, 01:41 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
It is going to be disappointing to see a GT3 that doesn't have a common engine with the GT3 with the RSR and Cup cars.
Will they be permitted to sell a street car and a race car with a different engine? I thought the existence of the street GT3 was a requirement of the racing class.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:11 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

BTW, Sport Auto only got a 8:44 ring time out a a 991S PDK, not quite meeting Porsche's claims. This is though only 4 seconds slower than what they got in a 997.2 GT3, 4 seconds faster than they got in a 997.1 GT3 and 6 seconds faster than they got in a 997.2 S w/PDK and sport suspension.
SportAuto tested the car with trash Pirelli PZero tires. The MPSS are plenty faster, so Von Saurma on MPSS could have reached the 7:40 (and Porsche factory test drivers have more seat time and more lap attempts to set the fast laps). On RS specs MPSC, another 3-4 secs are available, just on tires alone.

On these same PZero garbage tires, Randy Pobst lapped the 991S around Laguna Seca in 1:39.3, on MPSS it would have been faster, and on MPSC even faster, getting awfully close to 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8 lap times at Laguna Seca by the same driver at 1:36.77. The 991S Pobst drove did not have the LW Carbon seats, no PCCB, both options combined would save 75 lbs. It did not have the new powerkit (X51) and it did not have the Aerokit (close to same Aero as the incoming 991 GT3).

The 7:44 lap on crappy PZero is still 12 secs faster than a 996 GT3 on crappy PS2, and we know how fast a 996 GT3 is on proper tires with a decent driver. I would place the PZero at the same level of grip as the PS2.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:47 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
SportAuto tested the car with trash Pirelli PZero tires. The MPSS are plenty faster, so Von Saurma on MPSS could have reached the 7:40 (and Porsche factory test drivers have more seat time and more lap attempts to set the fast laps). On RS specs MPSC, another 3-4 secs are available, just on tires alone.

On these same PZero garbage tires, Randy Pobst lapped the 991S around Laguna Seca in 1:39.3, on MPSS it would have been faster, and on MPSC even faster, getting awfully close to 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8 lap times at Laguna Seca by the same driver at 1:36.77. The 991S Pobst drove did not have the LW Carbon seats, no PCCB, both options combined would save 75 lbs. It did not have the new powerkit (X51) and it did not have the Aerokit (close to same Aero as the incoming 991 GT3).

The 7:44 lap on crappy PZero is still 12 secs faster than a 996 GT3 on crappy PS2, and we know how fast a 996 GT3 is on proper tires with a decent driver. I would place the PZero at the same level of grip as the PS2.

Here, here. There is no doubt the 991S is significantly faster than the 997. Likely starting off in the range of 997.2 GT3 speed (on equal tires), and potentially in the range of the .2 RS with aero kits, etc. (depending on how good the aero kit is). That is good news for the 991 GT3. But moot for me if it doesn't have a manual.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:54 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Traditionally for the last couple go arounds a GT3 was priced right at a Carrera S with power kit, aero, sports suspension and sport design wheels. Which would put it in this range...except the PDK is planned to be standard with a 7-sp manual option. Based on the cost of PDK with sports chrono (to get PDEM), PDCC and PTV; base price will likely be about $10K more than this. Also with the introduction of the S powerkit a regular S sticker can now surpass $150K, this is another indication that GT3 stickers will see a significant rise.
Base price of a 997 GT3 was right about 30% more than a 997 S. Add 30% to the base price of a 991 S and you're at about $125K for a base 991 GT3. PDK+Sport Chrono is a $5.8K option on the 991, PTV is already priced into the S, and I don't think PDCC will be standard on the GT3.

Anyway, that's where the $130K + estimate comes from, and why I think the $10K additional premium you mention is on the high side. But we're all guessing.....we should know in about 6 months.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:51 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Base price of a 997 GT3 was right about 30% more than a 997 S. Add 30% to the base price of a 991 S and you're at about $125K for a base 991 GT3. PDK+Sport Chrono is a $5.8K option on the 991, PTV is already priced into the S, and I don't think PDCC will be standard on the GT3.

Anyway, that's where the $130K + estimate comes from, and why I think the $10K additional premium you mention is on the high side. But we're all guessing.....we should know in about 6 months.
When released, the 997 I, II, RS will all look like a good bargin at slightly lower than current market prices...i:e you can enjoy your current GT for the next 2-3 years with little depriciation

Last edited by malmasri; 09-20-2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: .
Old 09-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My view is that PTV will come standard on the 991 GT3 with mechanical diff. If PDK only then PTV plus will also be standard. PDCC may well be an option - but probably mostly for those using the GT3 regularly on the track. Most reports I have read about PDCC have indicated that the benefits are limited on the road at real world driving speeds. Its an expensive option and adds weight and complexity to the vehicle.

I love manual vehicles however I am hoping Porsche choose only one transmission option for the GT3. This way there is no deliberation on behalf of the buyer and future residuals aren't skewed by transmission choice. If the market is forced towards PDK from the 991 GT3 series onwards it will rapidly become the norm and benchmark. Most who have driven PDK on tracks in US and Europe seem to be pleased with its performance and ability to improve their lines and times.

Its all speculation at this stage but its fun also to put a "stake in the sand" and see if the future coincides with the speculation.

there has been much valuable "speculation" on this thread to date. My thought on teh topic have crystalised and Ill be happy to be wrong but my take is in summary this-
  • PDK as standard with PTV. This will be the only transmission option
  • Engine = 4.0l 9A1
  • Output = 455 bhp
  • Weight = 1365 kg
  • Wheels size = 20 inch
  • 0-100 = 3.8s
  • Ring time = 7.28s
  • Top speed 200mph (320kmph)
  • Price = 14% increase on 2010 GT3 base spec assumes PDK+PVT
  • Average optioned price for US buyers 150,000 USD
Old 09-21-2012, 01:18 PM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May be this article in Bloomberg can shed some light on how much/when Porsche next 991 move (GT cars) will be !

As a rule, I think, Porsche goes into fast mode of 'enter new models' in times of slower sales (in current models)!

We could see GT's coming on earlier than expected, and less than expected pricing, if current conditions persist

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...spreading.html

Quick Reply: Definitive 991 GT3 Thread