Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Definitive 991 GT3 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 02:39 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
I for one don't hope the base price is $150K. I think more realisticaly, based on previous 997 prices, that base will be around $132 - $135.
agree
Old 09-21-2012, 03:33 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

PCNA pushes super loaded 2010-2011 GT3, GT3RS and 4.0RS to the dealers to test the waters, the public buys them at or over MSRP, PCNA records the sales info and pass it to Porsche AG, SAP-SD reports average and standard deviation sales per model, PCNA sets new base price, and off to sales for the next gen model.

Nissan put almost 50% MSRP increase since launching the GTR, until the cars started to sit in the inventory. PCNA has done it, but the GT3/RS/4.0RS inventory gets wiped out buy loyal GT3 buyers.

They can easily sell the next 991GT3 for a base price of $150k (no other competitor in this price range), and the next 991GT3RS for $200k.

In addition to the growing market, there is a significant number of American buyers left out since 2004 for lack of an autobox in the GT3, so welcome a new group of buyers.

They will sell more GT3 than the previous versions at a higher price, and lower build cost. This strategy also helps resale on the Mezger cars returning from leases. Win-Win.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

hate to admit, but your aremaking lots of sense again..
Old 09-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
They can easily sell the next 991GT3 for a base price of $150k (no other competitor in this price range), and the next 991GT3RS for $200k.
There simply will not be a price differential of $55K between a base 991 S and a base 991 GT3. That kind of delta is completely out of the ballpark for relative pricing between previous S and GT3 models and the vehicle content won't warrant it. It also would completely screw Porsche's price structure relative to the Turbo which is typically priced significantly higher than the GT3.

I'm guessing some with previous GT3 iterations are secretly hoping the pricing you suggest will be the case as it will help their cars retain value but it's not going to happen.....
Old 09-21-2012, 05:13 PM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
There simply will not be a price differential of $55K between a base 991 S and a base 991 GT3. That kind of delta is completely out of the ballpark for relative pricing between previous S and GT3 models and the vehicle content won't warrant it. It also would completely screw Porsche's price structure relative to the Turbo which is typically priced significantly higher than the GT3.

I'm guessing some with previous GT3 iterations are secretly hoping the pricing you suggest will be the case as it will help their cars retain value but it's not going to happen.....

Old 09-21-2012, 06:05 PM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those who predict a base price of $150 for the new 991 GT3.

With respect, but what will be the basis, say 'economies of scale', that Porsche AG will have in mind when they implement such a gigantic increase (30%) over the previous 997.2 GT3 base $115!

Unless Porsche board and management decided to reduce the number of new GT3 sold, there is no way that such an increase 30% can happen.

US/Europe economies still struggling to get out of the 2008 financial crisis, and some predict the worst still hasn't come!!

IMO base price for the new 991 GT3 will be very close to previous model.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Who cares. You have the cheapest cars in the world in the US. We pay over well over 200k USD in NZ for a 997.2 GT3 new and yet they still sell more and more every year.

Fact is you'll either buy the GT3 or not and I dont think its matters if its 135k (assuming mandatory pdk) or 145k usd. It wont be 115k usd or even 125k usd. Things have changed in three years including two more rounds of QE weakening the fundamentals of the USd and Europe hitting the skids.

Forget arguing about the price. Those who are wanting one will already have put their name and cash down at their dealer without knowing the price.

Lets talk about what we learn about the spec, or some better pictures of the finished product Thats far more interesting....
Old 09-22-2012, 12:16 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Macca
Who cares. You have the cheapest cars in the world in the US. We pay over well over 200k USD in NZ for a 997.2 GT3 new and yet they still sell more and more every year.

Fact is you'll either buy the GT3 or not and I dont think its matters if its 135k (assuming mandatory pdk) or 145k usd. It wont be 115k usd or even 125k usd. Things have changed in three years including two more rounds of QE weakening the fundamentals of the USd and Europe hitting the skids.

Forget arguing about the price. Those who are wanting one will already have put their name and cash down at their dealer without knowing the price.

Lets talk about what we learn about the spec, or some better pictures of the finished product Thats far more interesting....
Well I guess we're spoiled here, but I care! I am more interested in the spec than the price but cost isn't a total non-issue. You're right in that I have put my name and a refundable deposit down without knowing the price; nothing to lose by doing so. But I'd certainly rather keep the difference between a $130K and $150K GT3 in my pocket, or use it to option the car nicely.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Mike. Sounds like you and I are in the same boat then - hence me starting this thread!

I just don't want this thread to end up being a price debate. I can go to market watch or Bloomberg if I want to contemplate numbers all day.

Id rather gleen what we can about the car and its spec. The price will be the price.

I got a call from a lovely lady at Porsche Zentrum Stuttgart last night. The pricing should be available February. I guess then we will know but little we can go in the meantime I guess....
Old 09-22-2012, 12:53 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Macca
Mike. Sounds like you and I are in the same boat then - hence me starting this thread!

I just don't want this thread to end up being a price debate. I can go to market watch or Bloomberg if I want to contemplate numbers all day.

Id rather gleen what we can about the car and its spec. The price will be the price.

I got a call from a lovely lady at Porsche Zentrum Stuttgart last night. The pricing should be available February. I guess then we will know but little we can go in the meantime I guess....
Cool, Macca! Whether it's price, HP, transmission type, or whatever, it's all part of the discussion, IMO. Unfortunately, all we really have at this point is speculation so we might as well have some fun with it! Your info about pricing being available in February tracks nicely with the proposed debut of the car at Geneva in March. Another piece of the puzzle.....
Old 09-22-2012, 01:30 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I have read it right, so far the speculations suggest that the 991 GT3 will have a 450hp +/- 9A1 engine, a PDK transmission, and a bodywork that we have seen in those spy pictures, etc.

I am confused... does it mean the 991 GT3 becomes just a super Carrera S with big power kit and areo kit, instead of a homologation version of the Porsche (FIA GT) race car?

Old 09-22-2012, 03:03 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
If I have read it right, so far the speculations suggest that the 991 GT3 will have a 450hp +/- 9A1 engine, a PDK transmission, and a bodywork that we have seen in those spy pictures, etc.

I am confused... does it mean the 991 GT3 becomes just a super Carrera S with big power kit and areo kit, instead of a homologation version of the Porsche (FIA GT) race car?

Yes possibly. And they will sell a lot. People will love PDK. 6 speed guys will be forced to like it. We are Porsche addicts. They know the ingredients in te drug that we are addicted to.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:12 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Is there some reason why a 991 GT3 with a version of the 9A1 engine won't be the new homolgation spec for GT racing? With the old Mezger engined car being discontinued, if Porsche wants to continue to play in the GT class, it seems like it will have to be. I don't understand the confusion.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 09-23-2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-22-2012, 03:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Kormaster is right. They have the world watching and they know it. The industry is fully geared up to give stiff competition now too.

They haven't dropped the ball yet in the RS/GT3 department and I'm sure they aren't going to drop it with their new 991 platform (which is now rumored to be with us for two model cycles - 14 years!).

Watch this space but I am confident there wont be a dry seat in the house once the reviews start. I think you will be happy enough to find this will be a benchmark product. The 991 CUP car which we will all get too see in the next few months will give some clues to where this is all going...
Old 09-22-2012, 03:24 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

yes basically the future of the gt3 "brand" is fast dissolving. the future will be a great car to drive- as they all are- but will be more and more with each generation of a gussied up 911 S. electronic steering, servo assisted 'manual' transmission, pdk, etc etc.

This is just an unavoidable fact, and it's not necessarily being a luddite either. Porsche is trying to launch a new car- the 458/mp4/gallardo/R8 fighting 961 or whatever it's called.

Chances are, THAT car will get all the separate technology in terms of engine block, dry sump, gearbox gizmos, active aero etc etc. for all we know it could be a flat 8 or v8 engine. There is obviously platform sharing with the R8/Gallardo already, porsche is going to aim at the v8 ferraris and the mclaren next.

it will also cost over 225k, possibly 275k.

As some have said there is absolutely ZERO competition for a trackable, daily drivable car like the GT3/RS for 140k-165k (once you add options let's be realistic). Zr1? please. lots of power, ceramic brakes, magneto shocks, but still the chevy s10 interior/seats/ radio etc. Viper? I don't think people are cross shopping V10 8.3 L cars and gt3s.

The main competitor for porsche, is porsche. They have to come up with some type of spec/power/comfort/luxury/technology to keep turbocharged cars as the 911 Zenith/ halo car. The 911 Turbo will always have to cost more money, make more power, be faster, etc.

Special exceptions are "rare" special editions like the Gt3RS 4.0- but then porsche comes out with a GT2RS at 250k to top that. It's been the same pattern for the last however many years, and will continue to be. There will be no crazy, unsustainable increase in power or speed because Porsche is counting on the 2-3 year ownership cycle of most gt3 users...you/we keep getting the newer one because the sum of its parts really is greater than 15hp alone.

since they have to have room to move forward I really don't think the standard GT3 will make more than 450-460hp. RS with 485 at that point is doable. Second generation 991Gt3 might make 480 then the RS would go over 500...but that second gen car won't be out until 2016/2017.

it will be sold based on "being lighter" "better handling" "better Centerlock technology" etc etc-

Quick Reply: Definitive 991 GT3 Thread