Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Definitive 991 GT3 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 03:26 PM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can Google Earth zoom in on Porsche Weissach testing (play) grounds?

Hum!! Anyone with connections, buddies at Google Inc.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
That being said, factory drivers are prone to some propaganda. They have to be programmed to answer those questions a certain way.
You might be right. OTOH, do you think a factory test driver would also lie (ok, propagandize) to his Grandpa?
Old 12-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Porsche 991 GT3 testing on the Nürburgring...

Porsche 991 GT3 + 991 Turbo testing on the Nürburgring...

...turn up the volume!

Old 12-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

In the meantime I keep up with the new Viper, and C7 Corvette revealing January 13. Either the Viper or ZR1 beat the ACR's 1:33.9 at Laguna by .2 seconds. Results posted Monday by Motor Trend. That's pretty magic for a non-aero car. If you like other cars, will be interesting to watch the Viper tested.
I would bet on the Viper. It's a very impressive car. The C7 Corvette has its work cut out.

Originally Posted by Boxster Coupe GTS
Porsche 991 GT3 + 991 Turbo testing on the Nürburgring...

...turn up the volume!

Old stuff; N ring don't look like that in the winter. The car is most likely finished - there were some pics of a finalized car at Estoril (shooting the promo materials) circulating in October. Plus, a sudden dearth of spy shots as of late.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:38 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
You might be right. OTOH, do you think a factory test driver would also lie (ok, propagandize) to his Grandpa?

I think I remember some of them blabbing on about the Gen I PCCB and from what I can tell that was a disaster. Off the record, sure, they may be inclined to say anything. But the fact remains that it's a distinct possibility that the 991 GT3 will be faster than the 997 4.0 GT3, so could go either way.

Originally Posted by Guest89
I would bet on the Viper. It's a very impressive car. The C7 Corvette has its work cut out.

Yeah, but without aero? The ZR1 ran 1:35 on PS2's. This time from the picture looks like it was on sport cups. Easily worth 2 seconds. And the Z07 version of the Z06 was only a half second slower than the ACR. Distinct possibility the ZR1 went faster than the ACR which would mean the Viper lost. But will be fun to find out either way.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:51 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

I think I remember some of them blabbing on about the Gen I PCCB and from what I can tell that was a disaster. Off the record, sure, they may be inclined to say anything. But the fact remains that it's a distinct possibility that the 991 GT3 will be faster than the 997 4.0 GT3, so could go either way.
Again, Andreas Preuninger said the new one will be on 997.2 GT3RS level..he repeated that just a few weeks ago in article - and now in the famous german car magazine: auto motor sport.

Yes, blabbing is always possible..and thats why one should wait what reality brings..so lets wait unti the car is there..until it has proven itself on the track..and then we see. Until then everything - unless officially quoted from Porsche (like the words of Mr. Preuninger) is bla bla and propaganda..
Old 12-15-2012, 01:02 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 768 Posts

Interesting next few years between the 991.1GT3RS, C7 Corvette and Viper. I am just mostly interested how they all hold up at Sebring event after event, year after year.

The only way to get me out of a 4.0 is a nice daily driver that is lighter weight, more durable, more fun and above all has an as broad or broader presence and knowledge base on the local tracks with local drivers, i.e. more of the next X car on track at any given weekend than 997RS cars that than will be as well supported by local shops.

Not interested in one lap wonders like all Italian stuff, McLaren, GTR etc. Corvette and Viper has the best chance to become the next X car. They both anong with the 991 still have to prove their worth on track in terms of how they holds up after a couple of years....

Old 12-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by a.928
Again, Andreas Preuninger said the new one will be on 997.2 GT3RS level..
I would expect that level of performance at a very minimum, since the new car by all acounts will have at least as much HP as the RS (perhaps more), likely less weight, and certainly a superior chassis. Herr Preuninger may be engaging in typical Porsche understatement. But as you say, we'll see when the car gets here....
Old 12-15-2012, 02:38 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Interesting next few years between the 991.1GT3RS, C7 Corvette and Viper. I am just mostly interested how they all hold up at Sebring event after event, year after year.

The only way to get me out of a 4.0 is a nice daily driver that is lighter weight, more durable, more fun and above all has an as broad or broader presence and knowledge base on the local tracks with local drivers, i.e. more of the next X car on track at any given weekend than 997RS cars that than will be as well supported by local shops.

Not interested in one lap wonders like all Italian stuff, McLaren, GTR etc. Corvette and Viper has the best chance to become the next X car. They both anong with the 991 still have to prove their worth on track in terms of how they holds up after a couple of years....

To your point I expect big things from the Corvette since they are not increasing hp much if at all according to one of the big wigs at gm. This means they can focus on other things like building us a forged motor. With that and an improved chassis and maybe additional interior refinement im going back to the bowtie for sure. Once Porsche loses the purist qualities that drew me in the first place, my attention goes elsewhere. Viper would be second place.

Less than 1 month until the official C7 unveiling!!!!
Old 12-15-2012, 04:02 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I would expect that level of performance at a very minimum, since the new car by all acounts will have at least as much HP as the RS (perhaps more), likely less weight, and certainly a superior chassis. Herr Preuninger may be engaging in typical Porsche understatement. But as you say, we'll see when the car gets here....
well, yes maybe it will be slightly better than 997.2 GT3 RS..however, dont forget that he is a humble, serious and honest person.

I think, maybe it also has to do with the fact that Porsche got hammerd by lots of customers when their claimed 14 seconds over 997.2 were not true..and came down to less than half of it.

So, better be realistic in the begnning..and if it turns our better, all customers will be happy. But creating false hopes..is not good at all. Nissan learned that lesson too..(GTR being better than a C-GT..)
Old 12-15-2012, 04:03 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Fully agree trakcar..and as you say, the new engine has first to prove itself in a GT3..that will take time.

Hey, dont tell me the MP4-12 is not better on track then Ferrari, Lambo etc. From the Italian stuff I know that they have some issues...but Mclaren..? what is their problem...?

thanks,
Old 12-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by a.928
well, yes maybe it will be slightly better than 997.2 GT3 RS..however, dont forget that he is a humble, serious and honest person.

I think, maybe it also has to do with the fact that Porsche got hammerd by lots of customers when their claimed 14 seconds over 997.2 were not true..and came down to less than half of it.

So, better be realistic in the begnning..and if it turns our better, all customers will be happy. But creating false hopes..is not good at all. Nissan learned that lesson too..(GTR being better than a C-GT..)
I agree, and suspect that he was puposely understating the car's performance when he made his comments. Better to be modest and then exceed expectations, than to brag about the car and not have it live up to the hype.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:24 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Anyone know if the Vette is going to have a transmission like PDK?
Old 12-15-2012, 08:59 PM
wanna911
Race Car

It could be an option from what I hear. But certainly wont be a hostile takeover like Porsche may do.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by mdrums
Anyone know if the Vette is going to have a transmission like PDK?
It could be an option from what I hear. But certainly wont be a hostile takeover like Porsche may do.
FWIW, according to the article on the C7 in the January 2013 Car and Driver, "The dual clutch automatic that GM has fiddled with for years appears to be dead, at least for Corvettes."

Also according to the article, GM will use a conventional Aisen 8 speed automatic until the 8 speed GM HydraMatic completes development, as well as a new Tremec 7 speed manual.

Quick Reply: Definitive 991 GT3 Thread