Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 gt3 RS Transmission Choices - Further Speculation!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Can we not play this BS game here?

It's not a "spy" video and picture or anything close. It's a "Porsche marketing called and told us to be at the corner of Naive Street and Sheep Lane where they will be driving by as a marketing exercise" video and picture.

It is really insulting for these, all of these, year after year, to be shot out onto the forums with the breathless SPY VIDEO! SPY PICTURES!

You understand. Don't you Boxster Coupe?

Next time you are fed by Porsche, just say so and show some respect to the non-KoolAid drinkers will you?
Conspiracy theorist, eh? Regardless, what diff does it make whether the drive-by was staged or not? IMO, if this is the genuine article then it doesn't really matter if they are actually "spy pics"; we get to see the car.......
Old 08-26-2012, 09:43 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

more than half of the ppl on this thread will not buy or not even in the mkt for the next gt3, so does it really matter what GB it will get?

just decide AFTER the car shows up. it will mst likely be good and expensive.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:33 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Conspiracy theorist, eh? Regardless, what diff does it make whether the drive-by was staged or not? IMO, if this is the genuine article then it doesn't really matter if they are actually "spy pics"; we get to see the car.......
No conspiracy theorist, it is a fact. I 'm just burned out on paying (via my purchases) to have Porsche Marketing play this crap and even worse for the so-called "Journalists" to try and spoon feed it to me as something other than an arranged photo op. It is insulting.

I'm not a dumb mark (well anymore at least) and resent being treated as one.

In two years I've seen what I judge to be one honest "spy" video and that was the recent video of the new Cup and RSR testing on the private track. Aside from that it is all put out by their marketing department.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:13 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
more than half of the ppl on this thread will not buy or not even in the mkt for the next gt3, so does it really matter what GB it will get?

just decide AFTER the car shows up. it will mst likely be good and expensive.
Exactly! At least I admit that I probably won't be able to afford it.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:44 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by savyboy
No conspiracy theorist, it is a fact. I 'm just burned out on paying (via my purchases) to have Porsche Marketing play this crap and even worse for the so-called "Journalists" to try and spoon feed it to me as something other than an arranged photo op. It is insulting.

I'm not a dumb mark (well anymore at least) and resent being treated as one.

In two years I've seen what I judge to be one honest "spy" video and that was the recent video of the new Cup and RSR testing on the private track. Aside from that it is all put out by their marketing department.
I doubt that a phone call and drive by costs very much, if that's what's happening. Certainly a helluva lot cheaper than a slick 30 sec commercial and just as informative as I get to see and hear the car on the road.

Even if the pics and vids are a tease, I don't see the harm and it doesn't offend my sensibilities, but that's just me. There's plenty of worse stuff going on out there to get tweaked about; I have to ration my outrage....
Old 08-27-2012, 01:10 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Exactly! At least I admit that I probably won't be able to afford it.
it has nothing to do with affording it or not. this spy photo thing like savvy said is getting old. anything i dont see with my own eyes in person is vaporware to me.

and you are in miami. you need to learn from porsche marketing dept. you need to some how connect drums with cuban cigar and the latest glamorous celebrity drugs, i am too old for the drug scene..... but once you make that connection your drum sales will go way up. you need to send some drums to the kardashians you know..... then you will be buying RSR on a weekly basis. then you need to thank you by passing your used RSR to me...and cover my running cost.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:55 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe he can sell bath salts?
Old 08-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Porsche 991 GT3 spotted on the Nurburgring...

Porsche 991 GT3 spotted on the Nurburgring...

...do you like apples?

Old 08-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Porsche 991 GT3 spotted on road...

Porsche 991 GT3 spotted on road...

...how do you like them apples?

Old 08-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
and you are in miami. you need to learn from porsche marketing dept. you need to some how connect drums with cuban cigar and the latest glamorous celebrity drugs
Say what? Mooty, here is a photo of my fellow Cubans in Little Havana reacting to your words and saying 'Don't get us involved in any of your crazy schemes!'

Saludos,
Carmel
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2012, 12:16 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
maybe he can sell bath salts?
Bath Salts are so last July: http://www.floridatoday.com/article/...tionwide-raids
Old 08-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Talking about 'transmission choices', Porsche has just announced the following in conjunction with the release of the new 991 C4S and C4:

"Driving 911 cars with a manual gearbox and Sport Chrono pack can now be even sportier: In Sport Plus mode, the system automatically double-declutches during downshifts."

Can anyone here explain how that works? Should we assume it will be available on regular C2 and C2S manual transmissions too if ordered with the 'new' Sport Chrono' pack! What does the new 'sport chrono' pack cost vs the old 991 'sport chrono'...or is it just added at no extra cost?

Does this new double-declutching technology make the manual transmission more attractive now? It would seem so to me!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 08-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Why get a manual if a computer is performing all of the relevant functions? Personally I would opt for the PDK if I can't have full control over what the clutch and throttle are doing.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Boxster Coupe GTS
...how do you like them apples?

With those production values, it looks totally staged to me. Curse you, Porsche marketing!

Old 08-27-2012, 01:50 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Talking about 'transmission choices', Porsche has just announced the following in conjunction with the release of the new 991 C4S and C4:

"Driving 911 cars with a manual gearbox and Sport Chrono pack can now be even sportier: In Sport Plus mode, the system automatically double-declutches during downshifts."
Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
That's marketing speak for the PDK functionality of preselecting a gear prior to actually shifting will still be present in the 7MT gearbox. What it sounds to me is that the sport chrono version of the 7MT is going to have double wet clutches like a PDK versus a single dry clutch as used in a traditional manual gearbox.

Quick Reply: 991 gt3 RS Transmission Choices - Further Speculation!