Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 gt3 RS Transmission Choices - Further Speculation!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 02:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I like the new Boxster a lot (more than the 991); for me the question of the new steering is pretty moot, since I will be keeping the last of the real GT3s!

concur, concur and concur. you are on a roll today larry.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:32 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw the new boxster at the dealer yesterday. Really impressed with the car, now it kind of looks like a man's car.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:45 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
it will be a PDK with a longer shift lever and be called PDK-SS
SS standing for "sorta sequential"
it will be "derived from motorsports" in that they will use a copy of the lever that is used in the cup cars
there will not be a clutch pedal with the PDK-SS
it will be faster but will not hold up or be warranted with track use
it will not economically feasible to rebuild it... only to replace it

and in an homage to past porsches, they will make ordering deviated stitching for the shift boot its own option and make it obscure so that most miss it all togethger... because the germans love that we miss that option...
BEST

IN

THE

WHOLE

THREAD!!!

They aren't making any street gearbox sequential ever. At least not in the traditional motorsports sense of the word. A sequential gearbox is a dog box with the added feature of removing the H-pattern shifting through an internal drum...
Old 08-22-2012, 10:30 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

I look forward to the Cayman, if they are like the Boxter a man can actually own one now.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:39 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Is PDK in the 991 the same as what is in the new Boxster? I got a new gen Boxster S to drive for the day today. It has PDK. I really don't like it much. In regular mode it shifts to the highest gear possible for your speed, presumably to achieve the best gas mileage. In this mode, it's basically just an automatic car. In Sport mode, it lets the car rev higher before selecting the next gear. And it will down shift on its own- many times in a jerky sort of way. Sport plus it seems you do the upshifting, but it will again down shift on its own- again in not a smooth way. Maybe I'm not using it correctly, but I can't imagine getting an RS with this. Plus the shifting buttons on the steering wheel are small. Paddles like the Ferrari system would be much better.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
Is PDK in the 991 the same as what is in the new Boxster? I got a new gen Boxster S to drive for the day today. It has PDK. I really don't like it much. In regular mode it shifts to the highest gear possible for your speed, presumably to achieve the best gas mileage. In this mode, it's basically just an automatic car. In Sport mode, it lets the car rev higher before selecting the next gear. And it will down shift on its own- many times in a jerky sort of way. Sport plus it seems you do the upshifting, but it will again down shift on its own- again in not a smooth way. Maybe I'm not using it correctly, but I can't imagine getting an RS with this. Plus the shifting buttons on the steering wheel are small. Paddles like the Ferrari system would be much better.
try driving a new BMW with 8sp SNORE- err sorry I mean STEPTRONIC ... its like being on the bridge of a habor tug ... I think the entire shifting software is 1 line...

if (engineRPM > 2500) shift(UP);

thank god for "flappy paddles" ...

back OT, I kinda liked the PDK on the 997 C2S ... but maybe the programming has changed for the 981/991 ...
Old 08-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

IMO, the best possible way to use PDK is to put it manual mode and leave it there, using auto regular mode only for long distance economy runs and auto Sport + for all out track work where it is nearly telepathic in selecting the correct gear at the correct time.

One the street, in manual mode, it should be used exactly as you would use a stick; choosing your own shift points for downshifts and upshifts with the advantage of instant shifts under all throttle loads and no lift shifting. PDK will not let you lug the engine; it will downshift on it's own even in manual mode as you come to a stop for example, but my experience is that it seems to do so more smoothly than any of the auto modes. If you downshift yourself in a timely fashion it will rarely interfere.

BTW, Auto Sport + will stay in each gear until redline so that's no doubt why you thought it wouldn't upshift automatically in that mode; it will shift eventually. And you're right, the dual mode buttons aren't nearly as satisfying to use as the paddle shifters available on the Sport wheel, which I'm sure would come standard on the GT3/RS.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:01 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... its like being on the bridge of a habor tug ....
great analogy!

got good visuals from that!
Old 08-23-2012, 12:12 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

I poo poo'd the PDK from afar based on the concept and then one day John at BGB tossed me the keys to their Cayman R with PDK and told me to go flog on it in sport+ mode. I had a blast. It shifted pretty much exactly when and where I would have shifted, both up and down. And it could sense when I was braking deep and hard and would double downshift so that I could launch out on the other side of the apexes. Really changed my opinion of the gearbox. I would now consider daily driving one if it was going to be a 2-3 times a year track toy. But I don't think I would ever want one for a dedicated track car. Too much of the driving experience is removed from the equation.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:16 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

After driving the Boxster S with PDK for 2 days, I am pretty certain I would not buy the new RS if it is PDK only. Sorry, I'm not THAT old, but I guess I'm old school in this regard- I like shifting. PDK is boring to me. I don't care if it knows when to shift better than me. I want to do it on my own. Everything else about the car is pretty sweet, including the interior which is very nice. An RS with the new interior and 7sp manual would be pretty killer for me.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
great analogy!

got good visuals from that!
all that is missing are the "engine room telegraphs" ... tring tring tring ... full speed ahead ...
Old 08-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

After driving the Boxster S with PDK for 2 days, I am pretty certain I would not buy the new RS if it is PDK only. Sorry, I'm not THAT old, but I guess I'm old school in this regard- I like shifting. PDK is boring to me. I don't care if it knows when to shift better than me. I want to do it on my own. Everything else about the car is pretty sweet, including the interior which is very nice. An RS with the new interior and 7sp manual would be pretty killer for me.
+1, in fact I think the 997tt 6sp manual would be much more desirable in the 991 GT3 than the 7sp PDK derived box IMHO ... I could even be persuaded to consider one in that configuration!
Old 08-23-2012, 06:28 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

+1, in fact I think the 997tt 6sp manual would be much more desirable in the 991 GT3 than the 7sp PDK derived box IMHO ... I could even be persuaded to consider one in that configuration!
Absolutely. 6 sp would be plenty.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Absolutely. 6 sp would be plenty.
probably a better box than the 7sp PDK ... I wonder what its origins are?
Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

probably a better box than the 7sp PDK ... I wonder what its origins are?
Don't know but I would guess they are bagging it for the 991TT. My dealer said all cars are coming PDK now and manual is special order. I just hope that will apply to the new GT3 and RS as well - that I can special order my junky old manual tranny.

Quick Reply: 991 gt3 RS Transmission Choices - Further Speculation!