Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 gt3 RS Transmission Choices - Further Speculation!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 01:04 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the nice thing about the mental trans is that you do not have to actually spec it on your order... you just think you want it and it is spec'd
Old 08-17-2012, 01:10 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

works well with ESP
Old 08-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
So I have put the two together and come up with this scenario for future gt3 transmission choices on the 991 version:

A) The 991 gt3 (base) introduction will be available only with PDK.

B) Once the 991 gt3 RS is ready, they will offer a version of 'Sequential Transmission' on that upgraded model!

C) In this scenario, the traditional manual transmission (e.g. current 7 speed or older 6 speed) will officially never be offered on a 991 gt3 or RS. The 'Sequential' will be NOW the manual transmission choice on the gt3 RS.

Love to hear comments from the RS hardcore crowd here if any of this seems plausible!
I would be shocked if a manual is not standard, with PDK (and any other transmissions) optional.

Took Porsche years to throw in free floor mats - I can't see them giving PDK away.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I would be shocked if a manual is not standard, with PDK (and any other transmissions) optional.

Took Porsche years to throw in free floor mats - I can't see them giving PDK away.
No, they will embed the price of the PDK into the base price and then charge extra for the less expensive manual option

If the "sequential" is coming and is non-standard, I can see it being $10k easily.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:44 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whats the point of a sequential, paddles do a better job.

We all know whats coming but no one wants to utter it.

PDK only!!

Porsche will save weight elsewhere in the 991 GT's to accomodate the increase in weight from the new pdk trans.

Those are my predictions
Old 08-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
Wh......
Porsche will save weight elsewhere in the 991 GT's to accomodate the increase in weight from the new pdk trans.

unobtanium costs too much. The 911 is largely made of rolled steel and ferrous castings.
Once VAG sees the economics of the Gallardo replacement, then there is some hope that the mainstream PAG cars will migrate to stronger, lighter, stiffer materials. You can't survive selling Carrera GT technology at 911 prices

R+C
Old 08-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
Was it Sequential or Mental Transmission?

i heard the w/ the latter the driver can change gears telepathically reducing shift times.
you are thinking of the "firefox", but as in that movie, you have to think in German to make it work!
Old 08-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
No, they will embed the price of the PDK into the base price and then charge extra for the less expensive manual option
Close. Since we're making predictions the "base" price will include a lighter, upgraded-performance-wise PDK and the MT will be a "no cost" option, if it's offered at all. Porsche will pocket the $4k premium on PDK while providing a manual, but isn't greedy enough to ask even more it.....
Old 08-20-2012, 12:56 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Close. Since we're making predictions the "base" price will include a lighter, upgraded-performance-wise PDK and the MT will be a "no cost" option, if it's offered at all. Porsche will pocket the $4k premium on PDK while providing a manual, but isn't greedy enough to ask even more it.....
Greedy enough to ask more for Cayman vs. Boxster...
Old 08-20-2012, 01:00 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Greedy enough to ask more for Cayman vs. Boxster...
but the cayman has 10hp more
Old 08-20-2012, 01:03 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
you are thinking of the "firefox", but as in that movie, you have to think in German to make it work!
Ja!
Old 08-20-2012, 04:49 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
unobtanium costs too much. The 911 is largely made of rolled steel and ferrous castings.
Once VAG sees the economics of the Gallardo replacement, then there is some hope that the mainstream PAG cars will migrate to stronger, lighter, stiffer materials. You can't survive selling Carrera GT technology at 911 prices

R+C
I'm so happy to read your posts again Robin!

and for the record to everyone else who thinks that your lap times (vs wallets) are the concern of PAG- you guys still think we are designing the car...which continues to make me laugh...

porsche is building an upmarket shared platform R8 / F458/ gallardo/ mclaren fighting thing and that will be what you get shoved into for "the ultimate porsche track day experience"

The 991GT3 will be whatever PAG decides. the 911 turbo manual trans is still a 6spd manual without the shared PDK style gearbox...and that is the best hope of getting a manual tranny in the GT3.

the 'lightweight / decontented at a cost' GT3 will push the scales at similar weights but only because they find new ways to charge buyers for light weight additions...carbon fenders, bumpers etc will save theoretical weight but will cost 10k for instance...and that will keep the theoretical curb weight down below some arbitrary level.

they're not giving anything away for free!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:14 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

and for the record to everyone else who thinks that your lap times (vs wallets) are the concern of PAG- you guys still think we are designing the car...which continues to make me laugh...

porsche is building an upmarket shared platform R8 / F458/ gallardo/ mclaren fighting thing and that will be what you get shoved into for "the ultimate porsche track day experience"

The 991GT3 will be whatever PAG decides. the 911 turbo manual trans is still a 6spd manual without the shared PDK style gearbox...and that is the best hope of getting a manual tranny in the GT3.

the 'lightweight / decontented at a cost' GT3 will push the scales at similar weights but only because they find new ways to charge buyers for light weight additions...carbon fenders, bumpers etc will save theoretical weight but will cost 10k for instance...and that will keep the theoretical curb weight down below some arbitrary level.

Source?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:46 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Source?
Any multiple Porsche owner?

I agree with everything he said. 4.0 was my last payment of Porsche Tax.

Ah- source for bolded. too late, I already had my piggyback say...lol
Old 08-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by savyboy
Any multiple Porsche owner?

I agree with everything he said. 4.0 was my last payment of Porsche Tax.

Ah- source for bolded. too late, I already had my piggyback say...lol
Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

Maybe I was unclear; I interpreted the bolded statement as an indication that the 991 turbo won't have the 'box that the 991 Carrera (S) has.

Quick Reply: 991 gt3 RS Transmission Choices - Further Speculation!