Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 gt3 RS Transmission Choices - Further Speculation!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 07:56 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
it might more properly be called a big-toe-and-side-of-foot.

R+C
Absolutely not ....

Thats the dangerous variety, using the side of the foot to push the accelerator. Do it a bit wrong and your foot slides of the brake between the pedals, considering the small contact patch you have on the brake pedal + the amount of force needed to brake + the fact you need to tilt your foot to push the accelerator.

My heel-and-toe downshifts are as the name implies. Top part of the foot firmly on the brake pedal, and the heel is used to blip the throttle.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:59 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that description of double declutching by Wired magazine is wrong.
Sorry to quote you again, but the article never mentions double declutching, so I don't know where you see the error there.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:57 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

that description of double declutching by Wired magazine is wrong.

The procedure is

engage clutch
shift into neutral
disengage clutch
use throttle to match engine revs required to drive at current speed in the gear about to be selected
engage clutch
select gear
disengage clutch

do this properly and the clutch is superfluous

when you have this sorted you can try doing this whilst braking, called a heel-and-toe it might more properly be called a big-toe-and-side-of-foot.

R+C
Why be polite? All this hoopla is focused on "gentleman" racers. The most relevant comment in your post in "the clutch is superfluous". A good pro on a sequential dog box can left foot brake, and downshift with a right foot throttle blip as they push the gear down to the next one, even though the sequential pretty much lacks an actual "neutral". People whine and complain that the skill has been taken out of it, but try that on a Cup Car sans blipper. Members who are bemoaning the "death" of the GT3 should just go buy an '07 Cup Car and learn to drive it right. Probably cost less than a 991 GT3 and be faster to boot.

Everything about Porsche in the last 5 years has been focusing towards the least common denominator. When they announced the auto-blipper on the Cup they openly said it was to cater to the gentleman racer. Porsche Motorsports runs their operation as a for profit program. The auto-blipper on the Cup was to increase sales because m(b)illionaires who wanted to go "pro" racing would have a more "reliable" car. Now they trickle this down to the street cars so that the street people can feel more like racecar drivers. It's all marketing. And in the process is makes it something that a monkey can drive well...
Old 08-31-2012, 03:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

i heel and toe
i owned a cup car and i didn't need bleeper.
i dont want pdk, i want a car that drives it self and make me look good, while i sit in the paddock and getting a nice tan. performance cars are jerkey and very hot inside. i am too old for that.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:21 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

I'm waiting for A/C vented CF bucket seats with harness holes, I don't care how much they weigh, the GT2RS with PDK torque vectoring automatic steering and line correction will make me faster..

Quick Reply: 991 gt3 RS Transmission Choices - Further Speculation!