Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 gt3 RS Transmission Choices - Further Speculation!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:32 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I guess they may offer a defeat option ala the 7.2 PSM controls, my guess is that it will probably be 'always on' in conjunction with sport+ mode...
I wouldn't expect them to allow its defeat. They don't allow me to defeat "drive-off assist" on my Cayman R, and that should be relatively simple, and benign.

I still believe that manufacturers goal is to force everyone into the lowest common denominator.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
http://www.porsche.com/microsite/tec...lectedVariant=
http://www.porsche.com/microsite/tec...lectedVariant=

Brakes, not a mechanical LSD. There's a significant difference there.
I do understand the difference and realize that PTV uses braking on the inside rear wheel to help rotate the car in a turn. I have PTV on my Cayenne S. But the PTV feature on the 991 comes along with a mechanical LSD (22% in traction 27% in overrun; the same as on my 997.2 S), at least according to the Porsche web site. The passage that I highlighted with bolding and that you copied in your reply to me, is taken directly from the Porsche site which describes the various standard and optional features that are available on the car. Even the second microsite link that you pointed to mentions the included mechanical limited slip differential in the first paragraph.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:04 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I do understand the difference and realize that PTV uses braking on the inside rear wheel to help rotate the car in a turn. I have PTV on my Cayenne S. But the PTV feature on the 991 comes along with a mechanical LSD (22% in traction 27% in overrun; the same as on my 997.2 S), at least according to the Porsche web site. The passage that I highlighted with bolding and that you copied in your reply to me, is taken directly from the Porsche site which describes the various standard and optional features that are available on the car. Even the second microsite link that you pointed to mentions the included mechanical limited slip differential in the first paragraph.
Maybe I am mistaken. It would not be the first time. But even if they offer an LSD, it likely looks like this:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/b...dissected.html
I only say that since it's the same locking factor as the Cayman and Porsche has been known to standardize in recent years. Even if it's the same as a GT3, it's useless...
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...sd-buster.html
Old 08-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Maybe I am mistaken. It would not be the first time. But even if they offer an LSD, it likely looks like this:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/b...dissected.html
I only say that since it's the same locking factor as the Cayman and Porsche has been known to standardize in recent years. Even if it's the same as a GT3, it's useless...
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...sd-buster.html
I'm not arguing how effective it is, just that it is a mechanical locking diff with the same locking factor that that Porsche has been offering in recent years, and it is available.....

Thanks for the links, BTW.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:29 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm not arguing how effective it is, just that it is a mechanical locking diff with the same locking factor that that Porsche has been offering in recent years, and it is available.....

Thanks for the links, BTW.
I'll openly admit that I don't follow closely every new street car variation that Porsche offers. I was just told by a certain race team that they were unable to buy a 991 with an LSD. I took them at face value. And then at their prompting, we designed an LSD. Watch the magazines (and potentially here since this particular team is a RL sponsor) for a new product announcement about a 991/PDK LSD...
Old 08-27-2012, 10:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I'll openly admit that I don't follow closely every new street car variation that Porsche offers. I was just told by a certain race team that they were unable to buy a 991 with an LSD. I took them at face value. And then at their prompting, we designed an LSD. Watch the magazines (and potentially here since this particular team is a RL sponsor) for a new product announcement about a 991/PDK LSD...
Thanks for the heads up. Maybe they meant they couldn't buy a stand alone (without PTV), truly functional LSD. I'm sure your new piece will be far superior to the OEM offering.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:57 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

You know how racers are, they want the least electronically encumbered vehicle to start with. The more electronics they have to overcome the more problems there are with building a car. As it is, they've had their 997 chassis cars back to the dealers mutiple times to clear random codes that the "systems" throw at you. More to follow.

Hint: Watch the race at Laguna Seca in 2 weeks...
Old 08-28-2012, 12:10 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

GT gears, 991 PDK LSD....same as 997 PDK LSD? Hummmm ;-)
Old 08-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Latest Porsche 911 Performs the Perfect Shift... Without You

Latest Porsche 911 Performs the Perfect Shift... Without You

"Any gearhead worth their weight in engine oil has painstakingly developed the art of heel-and-toeing; simultaneously matching the engine speed with the transmission’s input shaft to elicit a perfectly smooth downshift. But the latest advancement from Porsche will make all that late-night throttle/brake ballet practice for naught.

If you’re unfamiliar with the concept of the heel-and-toe downshift, its name can be a bit misleading. In cars equipped with a manual transmission, drivers obsessed with keeping the vehicle weight from transitioning abruptly during a downshift (going from fifth to fourth, fourth to third, etc. can unsettle the vehicle at speed) will push in the clutch, shift into the lower gear, and while applying pressure to the brake to slow the car with their right foot, they pivot their heel to stab the throttle. This matches the engine revs with the transmission speed, and when they then let out the clutch, it’s a seamless transfer of power. And all of this happens in less than a second.

The computer in Porsche’s latest all-wheel-drive 911 models – the Carrera 4 and Carrera 4S equipped with the Sport Chrono package – is smart enough to recognize when the driver wants to downshift in the manual transmission models, and automatically matches the engine speed, negating the need for fancy footwork.

But to give credit where credit’s due, this latest advancement isn’t that new. Nissan began fitting a similar technology – dubbed SynchroRev Match – to the 370Z when it was introduced in 2008. It does the same thing as this new Porsche system, but features an on/off switch to allow shifting purists to eliminate the unwanted technological advance.

According to a Porsche spokesman, the system is only active when the driver selects the “Sport Plus” driving mode, so in Normal and Sport mode, the system is deactivated. But the fact that drivers can’t disable the system no matter what mode they’ve chosen will surely be a sticking point with a fraction of enthusiasts. But they’d better get used to it. The new rev-matching feature will eventually roll out to the rest of the 911 range in the coming years, and there’s little doubt it will find its way into other Porsche models equipped with a stick shift, including two of our perennial favorites: the Boxster and Cayman."

Latest Porsche 911 Performs the Perfect Shift -- Wired article link
Old 08-30-2012, 05:37 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

drivers can’t disable the system no matter what mode they’ve chosen
:why:

We desperately need new smilies.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I wonder if it also prevents the "money shift"? Besides, I want PDK in my next RS. I have done heel and toe a few hundred thousand times. I can do it, even in a cup car without auto-blip. But, on a track, nothing beats PDK. I guess that makes me an outcast D Sorry to disappoint, John.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:27 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Well if it allows you to hunt P1 from that damn Viper, by all means, go ahead and get the PDK one.

From my end of the scope , well let's just say that I am currently looking for that perfect early Sunday empty mountain road. A good old-school manual is mandatory there. (made in Germany or not)

Btw I can't think that the rev match can (or will) prevent a money shift, unless of course they fit a mechanical gate lock on the shifter or something.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

PDK, might as well...
Old 08-30-2012, 06:53 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PDK - will make me look like I can shift perfectly -

Manual - yes.. fun... purist will enjoy it.. involves the driver input and rewards them if they do it right but can be punishing if you mis-shift (5th to 2nd gear noob mistake then kaboom..)

I bet I will probably love PDK on GT3 - but currently I love 6 speed manual for sure
Old 08-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that description of double declutching by Wired magazine is wrong.

The procedure is

engage clutch
shift into neutral
disengage clutch
use throttle to match engine revs required to drive at current speed in the gear about to be selected
engage clutch
select gear
disengage clutch

do this properly and the clutch is superfluous

when you have this sorted you can try doing this whilst braking, called a heel-and-toe it might more properly be called a big-toe-and-side-of-foot.

R+C

Quick Reply: 991 gt3 RS Transmission Choices - Further Speculation!