Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Any 4.0's for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,882 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwporsche
I know this isnt the rev limiter thread but I am confused about this. Why have a rev limiter if you can exceed it?
Rev limiter protects on the way up. Nothing to protect when you grab the wrong gear on the way down.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:18 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Rev limiter protects on the way up. Nothing to protect when you grab the wrong gear on the way down.
Evident by 3 of my friends needing to rebuild motors after a weekend at Daytona last December.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
???

You can only exceed the rev limiter, if you're incapable to drive the car and money shifts it. Under normal human acceleration is impossible to pass the rev limiter.
Originally Posted by Nizer
This is a misconception. It's not just the "money shift" that will exceed the redline. Any time the engine is near the redline, if one or more tires loses traction, it's possible to exceed the limit. You can imagine getting airborne at a crest, a rear tire going over a painted berm in the wet, downhill or partially releasing the clutch for an upshift without having first started to close the throttle.

As I understand it, the additional types of rev overlimit events include reference to throttle position as well as rpm ranges.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:10 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
DSSD is a working watch
AP is for men with some confidence issue.
children wear pam.... i am a child.
ALS is artwork.
but what does this have to do with 4.0
Uh-oh, so I am a child with confidence issues?! Lol.

I use my cheap Porsche RS Spyder watch for summer or sports. It tells time and don't care if I scratch it up. As much as I love Porsche, I could never bring myself to purchase a PD watch. Not my style.

Peter, you think DE is expanding? Anyone else feel that way? I would have thought the opposite with all the hybrid, green initiatives. Maybe there's no real track around here for people to gey excited about.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SSTHO

I use my cheap Porsche RS Spyder watch for summer or sports. It tells time and don't care if I scratch it up. As much as I love Porsche, I could never bring myself to purchase a PD watch. Not my style.

Peter, you think DE is expanding? Anyone else feel that way? I would have thought the opposite with all the hybrid, green initiatives. Maybe there's no real track around here for people to gey excited about.
I don't think track driving is growing, but perhaps the rate of decline has abated. With the costs and insurance issues, the lack of facilities and woeful logistics, at least around California, it's a painful, tedious, expensive and difficult sport. People think of snow skiing or sailing as wildly expensive, golfing is exclusive and so on, but you don't have to buy $100K of skis and risk destroying them every second you're on the slopes, nor do you have to buy a $2000 pair of boots every three days ... etc. etc. Not much confusion about why track driving isn't booming. Now we have noise regulations and Porsche has sullied its reputation for standing behind its product so you can go into the dealer and they'll deny warranty because you've been photographed by PCNA at the track or they'll low ball you on trade-in and start every conversation with "have you tracked it?" As ever, Porsche takes square aim at its own foot and proceeds to milk the calf while staring the gift horse in the mouth.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:43 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTHO

Well you live on the wrong coast.

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I don't think track driving is growing, but perhaps the rate of decline has abated. With the costs and insurance issues, the lack of facilities and woeful logistics, at least around California, it's a painful, tedious, expensive and difficult sport. People think of snow skiing or sailing as wildly expensive, golfing is exclusive and so on, but you don't have to buy $100K of skis and risk destroying them every second you're on the slopes, nor do you have to buy a $2000 pair of boots every three days ... etc. etc. Not much confusion about why track driving isn't booming. Now we have noise regulations and Porsche has sullied its reputation for standing behind its product so you can go into the dealer and they'll deny warranty because you've been photographed by PCNA at the track or they'll low ball you on trade-in and start every conversation with "have you tracked it?" As ever, Porsche takes square aim at its own foot and proceeds to milk the calf while staring the gift horse in the mouth.
You live on the wrong coast as wel.
Here for sure it's growing fast. Cheap gas, low taxes, no one cares about emissions or noise, except for the bible belt areas.

I send my track video's to my dealer's X man and never had a non warranty issue. Track insurance underwriters are awesome, local and fellow DE participants.

Florida is DE paradise.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Well you live on the wrong coast.

You live on the wrong coast as wel.
Here for sure it's growing fast. Cheap gas, low taxes, no one cares about emissions or noise, except for the bible belt areas.

I send my track video's to my dealer's X man and never had a non warranty issue. Track insurance underwriters are awesome, local and fellow DE participants.

Florida is DE paradise.
Whatever car you get next, don't breath a word of it to the dealer, don't post about it on-line, take the plates off and tape over the VIN. If it goes to a dealership for service, have it detailed and and restored to an unremarkable condition (no cameras or numbers or timers or harnesses or slicks or layers of tire rubber on the paint. Otherwise, well, it's not up to the dealer staff, it's the regional stooges that make the decisions.

As for CA vs FL, I've made my bed, but that's why I mention, it's different here and there (especially overseas where driving is not a thought crime.)
Old 05-19-2012, 08:51 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a misconception. It's not just the "money shift" that will exceed the redline. Any time the engine is near the redline, if one or more tires loses traction, it's possible to exceed the limit. You can imagine getting airborne at a crest, a rear tire going over a painted berm in the wet, downhill or partially releasing the clutch for an upshift without having first started to close the throttle.

As I understand it, the additional types of rev overlimit events include reference to throttle position as well as rpm ranges.
Correct (of course).

Any GT3 driven with gusto should expect to be found to have range 1 (many) and range 2 (some but much less) overrevs. My Cayenne with a freaking 8 speed automatic transmission has a few range 2 overrevs. Unless someone is simply seeking an excuse to worry, it is nothing to be concerned about.

Money shifts (range 3+) are the ones to cause genuine concerns.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:14 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Correct (of course).

Any GT3 driven with gusto should expect to be found to have range 1 (many) and range 2 (some but much less) overrevs. My Cayenne with a freaking 8 speed automatic transmission has a few range 2 overrevs. Unless someone is simply seeking an excuse to worry, it is nothing to be concerned about.

Money shifts (range 3+) are the ones to cause genuine concerns.
On my last ignition check, I had 48 Range 1s, and zero 2-6. Felt good.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:01 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
I had many diseases
took decades to shake off hi end audio, ti bike frames ( every merlin, moots, seven midels i collected) and watches
strange thing. one day I woke up just lost interest in them one by one
There is a season for things.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
There is a season for things.
Yes, and when you live in the mild climate of No Ca somethings can be enjoyed for all seasons, maybe that's why Mooty still collects GT3's
Old 05-21-2012, 03:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,705 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Is there a Porsche wristwatch that was ever worth owning?
sundial, surprising accurate. more so than most expensive watches.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:11 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

You guys realize that Blackberry and iPhone comes with a clock and calendar right?

I agree that a Porsche watch should at least remote start, open the door and do some basic stuff..
i have an iphone.
it has a clock?
which button/icon do i push?

cgt:
IWC is not bad. but really only BP and Portuguese and BE are worth getting.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:12 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Lost interest in the 4.0 didnt you!
not today.
maybe few more months, who knows.
i do "empirical" experiments. it's still not done yet.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:18 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

How about a few weeks?

Quick Reply: Any 4.0's for sale?