Any 4.0's for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 12:42 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
DSSD is a working watch
AP is for men with some confidence issue.
children wear pam.... i am a child.
ALS is artwork.
but what does this have to do with 4.0
it has to do with how much somebody is willing to pay to go 'that extra mile'...
even though i can't afford it, i can appreciate/ see the value of the 4.0 at almost twice the price of a 'similar' let's say, 3.8rs, if somebody needs the car to be the best track tool/roadcar for them; if they are mad about cars, as most people on these forums are. anybody else would say we are crazy.....
as for watches, i don't see any value in the ap over the dssd. the dssd would do any job just fine, so for me the extra money is wasted. it tells the time, looks good, and reliably lasts a long time - job done.
a 3.8rs rs would be too much for most drivers, but it's obvious that peter is ready to move the game up a notch, so he should do it.
if 4.0 is 3 seconds faster than 3.8 at sebring and that costs $100k, so be it.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:55 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mooty, sell it to Peter, please !!!

I get 15 phone calls a day. Bringing him to group therapy next to Rad...
Old 05-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
If he buys another 125 of them he can make them appreciate..

IMHO, the 4.0 will never be a below 150K car.
It might dip to that, but at that price there is way more demand then supply.
- Some go into a collection and will never see daylight.
- Some will be written off.
- Some will be kept for a long time, by drivers who have no alternative to a better track car.

The 991RS will be lighter, shorter geared with PDK, and all other drivers aides and so much faster. To some the 993 was the last drivers car, but in the future that will be the 997GT3 with the 4.0 being the one to have.

It could very well be that the 991 becomes like today's TT. Yes faster and more capable, but no one wants one at that price.

Our DE hobby is growing fast and the demand for these car will grow even more in the coming years.
That ringing sound is 2008 calling, it would like to withdraw its offer of $220K for the '08 GT3 RS ... : )
Old 05-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
DSSD is a working watch
AP is for men with some confidence issue.
children wear pam.... i am a child.
ALS is artwork.
but what does this have to do with 4.0
Is there a Porsche wristwatch that was ever worth owning?
Old 05-19-2012, 01:13 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

this one is cool.
it is the worldtimer in the performance series.

http://www.porsche-design.com/intern...4046901032845/
Old 05-19-2012, 01:18 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
no
Old 05-19-2012, 01:19 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

hahaha!
Old 05-19-2012, 01:26 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Have an idea. Collective removal of what Porsche calls Sport Chrono, add bracelets, put them on ebay, no reserve. Wearing one means you have saved a Porsche car from interior ugliness and nonsense. Worth wearing.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
this one is cool.
it is the worldtimer in the performance series.

http://www.porsche-design.com/intern...4046901032845/
Not bad. The Prosche 6750 Worldtimer resembles the IWC 3538 for its square hands, simplicity and two, prominent winders.

I just find any of them all that compelling.

It seems to me that Porsche, Ferrari, especially VW with the Veyron, Lambo's new Aventador ... all these makers should partner with a wristwatch brand, not just to throw out something with a similarity or the marque brand, but to integrate the wristwatch functionality, either in the body of the watch or as an accessory wriststrap to put on the watch the driver already owns or prefers. This would allow for keyless entry without a fob.

The wristwatch becomes security, authentication (with biometrics) as well as a datalogger and part of the car (personalized settings, event recorder, data acquisition, controls over playback of lap data to the PCM display or in the dash display, as well as predictable stuff like a mirror sync'd access point to personal data from a cloud, phone, text, email, alerts, reminders, you name it. All of this carried and secured on the wristwatch at the same time as removing some of the bulky junk I'd rather not be carrying at all times.

It seems to me that Casio was ahead of their time in the 80's with their funky calculator watches and then it all just froze in time and for all the innovation in the world, nobody has gone back to the wristwatch form factor and said "we can do more with this than an iPod Nano on a plastic wristband."
Attached Images     
Old 05-19-2012, 02:20 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

I want mine connected with the PSM and new electric steering , I want it black and with buttons. Lots of buttons.
I also want it to measure my blood alcohol level and prevent me from driving by injecting me with a lethal dosage of LSD.

At least this way, I won't have time to go home and post in RL that Casio ever made a decent watch.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:49 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

You guys realize that Blackberry and iPhone comes with a clock and calendar right?

I agree that a Porsche watch should at least remote start, open the door and do some basic stuff..
Old 05-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
I want mine connected with the PSM and new electric steering , I want it black and with buttons. Lots of buttons.
I also want it to measure my blood alcohol level and prevent me from driving by injecting me with a lethal dosage of LSD.

At least this way, I won't have time to go home and post in RL that Casio ever made a decent watch.
I can only hope that sooner or later, someone at Porsche has to say "It's gone too far, they're comparing us to Casio, we have to go back to building cars instead of consumer durables. Our purpose used to be driven by racers and engineers -- now those responsibilities have been outsourced, and the steering is done by marketing and accounting."

There's no "dripping with sarcasm" emoticon. I figured a couple of big photos of watches was the next best thing. : )

Anyway, if dropping a little acid was good enough for Steve Jobs, maybe it would help the creative, innovative side of Mr Porsche.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:03 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Best Porsche Watch ever.

Last edited by NJ-GT; 08-13-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:14 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Type 1s are caused by hitting and exceeding the rev limiter in the first range.
The recorded ignition attempts are the ones that the DME's set point failed to stop at max rpm minus 1.

Usually it does a great job of stopping it but not always..

I have a durametric run here with recorded type 1s.
https://rennlist.com/forums/9247647-post48.html
Had to read 4 .xls books of rev limiter logs to capture them for that thread.
I know this isnt the rev limiter thread but I am confused about this. Why have a rev limiter if you can exceed it?
Old 05-19-2012, 04:10 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dfwporsche
I know this isnt the rev limiter thread but I am confused about this. Why have a rev limiter if you can exceed it?
???

You can only exceed the rev limiter, if you're incapable to drive the car and money shifts it. Under normal human acceleration is impossible to pass the rev limiter.

Quick Reply: Any 4.0's for sale?