997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Any 4.0's for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012 | 11:22 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Is it sad that the first thing I noticed in the pic above is if that football picture was Dan Marino?
Old 05-21-2012 | 11:25 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

Never above 5k RPM? Who can drive one of these cars and not release the hounds?
Old 05-21-2012 | 11:25 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
Bought it new in December.

950 easy miles. Never tracked. Never over 5k rpm.

Options:
Low weight Li battery
Black painted wheels
PCCB
Front axle lift
Sound package plus

$238,000.00 firm
I think you're entitled to start a fresh thread.

ps.
Old 05-21-2012 | 11:27 PM
jenk12m
Banned

peter i'll be shocked if you find one at msrp for the next 6 months
Old 05-21-2012 | 11:28 PM
jenk12m
Banned

obviously a bubble wrapper, but the right price will take it off his hands
Old 05-21-2012 | 11:33 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Outside is gorgeous, but I couldn't live with the interior, maybe not that hard to swap if the price was right.

I believe that a few garage queens eventually will be dumped once the 991GT3 comes out, either way always will be a desirable car.
Old 05-22-2012 | 12:50 AM
Larryf
Rennlist Member

Hmmm, last one with 300 miles, pccb, sports chrono w/o pcb went for a bit over 200k @ 198k msrp......

that's a strong ask!
Old 05-22-2012 | 01:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by The Greek
Not to be off topic, but new Pam's are played out around here. Thinking about going back to the Radiomir. New watch I love is Bell & Ross. Very unique look. Next purchase will be a IWC Portoguese....
yes, pams are played out. radiomir is still cool as most ppl dont like them. i love my 190. one of the few pam with a REAL movement (JLC).

i like B&R as long as it's not the expensive ones. u will never get your money back.

i dont like Portuguese, but it is a classic and worthy in any collection.

Originally Posted by jenk12m
since this has turned partly into a watch thread

ive added a IWC big pilot to the collection since this photo
jenk, BP good choice on your big wrist. you know, you should chk out ALS 31. it will really "subtly" bling out everyone at your dinner table. when you disclose the price, 1/2 of them will choke and die. great way to kill off your competitors! it's a trade secrete i am sharing with you.

since you have ROO, you should hunt down a T2. the only ROO i like.

Originally Posted by SSTHO
As much as I like my PAM 275 8 days chrono monopulsante, I enjoyed my PAM 90 power reserve most for practicality. It took the abuse and was my first nice watch I boight for myself. Liked them enough to get them for my two best men at my wedding. They love them too. I barely wear my PAM 275 sadly. I like my Breitling Bentley as 48mm is pretty cool, but agree with Carrera GTs comments. Curious to hear Mooty's watch of choice. I have stopped with the watch obsession for a while now.
i stopped watch craze too. so dont drag me into water. i had all the rolex sport line stuff. they are some of the most durable watches. i have fell off my mt bike, cracked ribs, brorken arms, wrists and collar bones, the damn watch will not die. after the rolex phase, i did some IWC BE, BP and pam 000, 005, 190, 217, 127, then i realized it's all lies, they make unlimited number of limited editions (read that again!)..... i got bored. i dont really care for Pre V stuff as they are way $$$ and you can't wear them due to the prices. had VC overseas and breguet transatlantic. nice but too serious looking for the child in me. collected PP calatravas for looks. but now i plan to revive Swatch through RL. that's why i wear now, in viper green or signal orange? group buy?

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
If you have a couple of recommendations, I have to admit, I'm dumb enough to get another watch. Something more precise than Rolex (ticking sundial) and Brietling (tough and handsome, but dumb as a bag of bricks) would be nice. I have no interest in IWC, just noticed the similarity (perhaps they did the underlying design work or Porsche Design was "inspired by" their designs.)
u need to be more specific of what you like. i never liked breitling. oh, the more $ the watch, the less accurate it will be. the $5 digital POS on broadway in chinatown is the most accurate thing short of atomic clock. you buy watch to look silly, not to tell time. that's lesson one. for you i think a VC overseas would be nice or a PP jumbo nautilus. sophisticated and sporty and rare and rather inaccurate as well.
Old 05-22-2012 | 01:31 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
for you i think ... sophisticated and sporty and rare and rather inaccurate as well.
You think of me as sophisticated and sporty?

That makes me think I should be singing with the Spice Girls. Sophisticated Spice.

Oh dear.

Rest assured, I will never be type cast as Sporty Spice.

Then again, rare and rather inaccurate ... I plead no contest your honor.

Anyway, if you can shoot me an email and decipher all those TLA's, I'm curious to get something. I don't have terribly specific critieria. I like a spartan, analog design, nothing over the top, something with a combination of a digital output, bluetooth, remote keyless entry transponder, maybe GPS, PLB, and maybe AMB transponder? Something with iPod functionality, email, iGoogle sync, HD video chat, reality augmentation ... and a clock would be good, too.
Old 05-22-2012 | 01:41 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

I have several... Favorites are my JLC Master Compressor Duo stainless on bracelet and Chopard Mille Miglia Duo stainless on leather double clasp. I prefer stainless, or titanium like my IWC Aquatimer 2000 on titanium bracelet. Agree with Mooty, Swatch needs a revival. I have a Fun Scuba which I've dived with as a backup, depth gauge built in and goofy colors.
Old 05-22-2012 | 01:55 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larryf
Hmmm, last one with 300 miles, pccb, sports chrono w/o pcb went for a bit over 200k @ 198k msrp......

that's a strong ask!
Really? Wow, I clearly missed that... and missed out. :\
Old 05-22-2012 | 02:29 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Really? Wow, I clearly missed that... and missed out. :\
There were flippers in December and January trying to get $5K over MSRP.
Just ask anyone buying an '07 or '08 RS over msrp if it was fun.

The price is $220K because only three dealers have cars, so they're willing to play out the suckers at $250K offer.

The _bid_ however, is msrp +/- costs or what some call "nuisance money." Otherwise, those handful of cars would be sold at $250K asking price and there'd be nothing on the market.

I guess I should interject the point that I'm not really criticizing this one advertiser flipping a car at $240K. Give or take costs and sales tax, that's maybe a $20K "make me sell my toy" premium which I think is a reasonably smart way to have the car in the garage and not feel too stupid about the opportunity costs of a quarter million after tax sitting idle while the capital investment markets move up 10% in one month ... and have done every month since December when buyers had to take their RS 4.0 delivery or pass. : ) Me, I had a 4.0 with a whiny little bitch dealer trying to make me pay for it and gleefully telling me to "flip" it (I'll post my email response to him here, if anyone is interested) but I decided to hedge my bet and keep the 3.8, effectively keeping $150K in the position and keeping another $100K liquid to invest in boring things like aapl, bidu, goog and ibm. Some did poorly, some did okay, certainly a lot better than a car doing nothing in the trailer for six months while I was snow skiing and taking spring holidays with my family. So it goes. I saw the risk entirely to the downside if I was holding the RS 4.0 and it was not well received. I'm quite enthused to see the prices are higher for now, but that's of no consequence to me if I'd bought it, because I'd track it, I'd burn Hoosiers till they changed the color of the bumper cover and I'd keep it for two seasons or more (or forever if Porsche doesn't catch a clue. : )

And make no mistake about it, if a dealer is advertising at $250K offer, they'll take $225K bid before month end rather than explain how their dealership should eat another month of costs and they should go without the revenue speculating on fewer private sellers coming in at retail $220K or lower. The GT2 RS set the tone.

In any case, cars with more than delivery miles are assumed to have been tracked and rev-limited, there's no exceptions, so there's no difference between a high msrp car or a low msrp car or a "tracked" or a "gentle miles" car -- these adjectives are dog food that dealers feed to suckers. If the suckers eat it up, they get treated like suckers. If the buyer bids fair market, they buy a car at fair market or the car gets taken at a higher number by the greater fool and life goes on.

There's numerous people on this forum whom have experienced how this game is played, myself included, so it's not idle chatter on the sidelines. Buyers coming into the 4.0 game late should know they're paying the premium and be aware of the price they're paying to drive a used car today instead of fall of this year or summer of next year. Nothing new. It has all happened before, as with the 3.6 RS, and it will happen again.
Old 05-22-2012 | 02:42 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Very, very well said. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2012 | 03:01 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
There were flippers in December and January trying to get $5K over MSRP.
Just ask anyone buying an '07 or '08 RS over msrp if it was fun.

The price is $220K because only three dealers have cars, so they're willing to play out the suckers at $250K offer.

The _bid_ however, is msrp +/- costs or what some call "nuisance money." Otherwise, those handful of cars would be sold at $250K asking price and there'd be nothing on the market.

I guess I should interject the point that I'm not really criticizing this one advertiser flipping a car at $240K. Give or take costs and sales tax, that's maybe a $20K "make me sell my toy" premium which I think is a reasonably smart way to have the car in the garage and not feel too stupid about the opportunity costs of a quarter million after tax sitting idle while the capital investment markets move up 10% in one month ... and have done every month since December when buyers had to take their RS 4.0 delivery or pass. : ) Me, I had a 4.0 with a whiny little bitch dealer trying to make me pay for it and gleefully telling me to "flip" it (I'll post my email response to him here, if anyone is interested) but I decided to hedge my bet and keep the 3.8, effectively keeping $150K in the position and keeping another $100K liquid to invest in boring things like aapl, bidu, goog and ibm. Some did poorly, some did okay, certainly a lot better than a car doing nothing in the trailer for six months while I was snow skiing and taking spring holidays with my family. So it goes. I saw the risk entirely to the downside if I was holding the RS 4.0 and it was not well received. I'm quite enthused to see the prices are higher for now, but that's of no consequence to me if I'd bought it, because I'd track it, I'd burn Hoosiers till they changed the color of the bumper cover and I'd keep it for two seasons or more (or forever if Porsche doesn't catch a clue. : )

And make no mistake about it, if a dealer is advertising at $250K offer, they'll take $225K bid before month end rather than explain how their dealership should eat another month of costs and they should go without the revenue speculating on fewer private sellers coming in at retail $220K or lower. The GT2 RS set the tone.

In any case, cars with more than delivery miles are assumed to have been tracked and rev-limited, there's no exceptions, so there's no difference between a high msrp car or a low msrp car or a "tracked" or a "gentle miles" car -- these adjectives are dog food that dealers feed to suckers. If the suckers eat it up, they get treated like suckers. If the buyer bids fair market, they buy a car at fair market or the car gets taken at a higher number by the greater fool and life goes on.

There's numerous people on this forum whom have experienced how this game is played, myself included, so it's not idle chatter on the sidelines. Buyers coming into the 4.0 game late should know they're paying the premium and be aware of the price they're paying to drive a used car today instead of fall of this year or summer of next year. Nothing new. It has all happened before, as with the 3.6 RS, and it will happen again.
r u day trading AAPL again?
you can't day trade modern porsche
Old 05-22-2012 | 03:11 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
i plan to revive Swatch through RL. that's why i wear now, in viper green or signal orange? group buy?
Funny story. A friend used Swatch as a study in "exclusivity" to explain commodity "expectation." Some time in the 80's, he heard rumors Swatch would release a "limited edition" only to "valued" customers. Unlike Swatches in their day (inexpensive, counter-top displays in any retail store for impulse purchases within reach of teenagers) this was a $2000 (or more, I forget) exclusive that would be hand delivered in a sealed case, including adornments like a numbered plaque and pristine white gloves in the unlikely event the owner was so brave and foolhardy as to remove the precious objet d'art from its protective enclosure.

He put his heirloom Swatch away for safe keeping, expecting to return in a few years and auction it off for unspeakable profits, but time wore on and he forgot all about it until he moved house decades later. Upon unearthing this precious jewel, he checked the market only to find the same "limited" edition was available on eBay for about 20% less than he had paid a couple of decades earlier. It had appreciated like a piece of burned toast resembling the face of an imagined deity .. it was toast then and it's toast now ... ashes to ashes ... : )
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any 4.0's for sale?