Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Center lock will be changed by dealers soon

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Notice how the factory power tool appears to over-torque and then back it off again ... interesting.

Peter you should never over torque your nuts, bending your tool as well in the process!!!

No wonder you stick to the car while driving!

Old 05-23-2011, 08:53 PM
rlips
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdixon
Booked my GT3 in for the CL replacement today. I was told that i could not get the car in until 20/6/11 as they need to order in the new CL nuts. They wanted to know what colour nuts i had fitted on the car. Interestingly they wanted the car to be booked in with them for a week just incase they found any issues with the PCCB disks !! I questioned this and was told that it is possible that movement on the CL can cause the five red stub bolts (sorry not sure what these are called) on the disks to work loose and damage the ceramic disks !!!

Also an insert has to be added to the drivers manual to state torque is 600nm.

That seems odd. I just replaced my (steel) rotors this past weekend, and the red stubs are attached to the center hat, not the discs. Unsure how this could affect the pccb discs....
Old 05-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I kid, but I did once mega torqued one thinking I was undoing it, but tightened it enough to breake the tool that comes with the car. You shouldda seen my torque wrench bend.. I know, I know, I should really stick to driving the car....
I will do the track support on Manication II

you stick to truck driving and keep the local pubs in business
Old 05-23-2011, 09:06 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Notice how the factory power tool appears to over-torque and then back it off again ... interesting.
The video may have been cut-off prematurely ... I remember seeing a power tool that torqued all of the head stud nuts at the same time in a GM factory. It tightened to a percentage of full torque, loosened, then fully torqued. The purpose of the first torque application is to seat everything. Probably the same thing here...
Old 05-24-2011, 12:28 AM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

My car was built in December. The CLs don't show the 500nm reference anymore. Does this mean my car has the updated version already and is torqued from the factory to 600nm? Thanks.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

NO! (you are kidding right?) ... you could seriously damage the nut, your wheel, or the hub assy by over torquing the nut assy, in some cases where it
would fail catastrophically under dynamic load on the track.
reter doesn't know better.
that's why he gets CEL so often. it's due to over torquing wheels.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:36 AM
cdixon
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RAPID
I had my CL's tightened to 600 Nm at the dealer last week, mentionned the Porsche bulletin. They tightened the nuts, but did not replace them. They had the Porsche service notice on paper, and no mention of replacement...
Originally Posted by rlips
That seems odd. I just replaced my (steel) rotors this past weekend, and the red stubs are attached to the center hat, not the discs. Unsure how this could affect the pccb discs....
Agreed that is what i find strange... Maybe that is what they are talking about.
i.e. the centre hat gets damaged from loose stub nuts and hence requires a complete new disk ?
Old 05-24-2011, 04:55 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Medicopter
My car was built in December. The CLs don't show the 500nm reference anymore. Does this mean my car has the updated version already and is torqued from the factory to 600nm? Thanks.

I'd say you have the updated CLs that everybody is talking about. It is likely to be torqued up from the factory but it wouldn't hurt to double check them to be extra sure...
Old 05-24-2011, 07:49 AM
RAPID
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just received a call from my dealer, and have to go back to have my CL nuts changed, so it seems the news is slowly spreading around the dealership network.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:59 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why PCNA have not yet instituted a recall yet is a mystery. The abscence of any issues being detected by our august tracking community is not a measure of the presence, absence or severity of any problem, simply good luck/statistics at work to their benefit.

Indeed.

I did quite some miles with the car ( 20.000miles ), replaced tyres 6 times, changed brake disks 3 times, used several sets of brakepads, had the top mounts turned and sometimes removed the wheels for cleaning, so they did come off and on quite a lot during the last year. Never had issues whatsoever but apparently one of the wheel hubs is damaged. When my car goes for repair on monday I'll ask them to show me the exact damage as to understand better what this is all about.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:01 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

And I don't know if I already posted it, if I did please ignore this, but at the Porsche Days in Belgium the disclaimer/waiver you had to sign before going on track contained a paragraph about the center locks. If you didn't have the new ones on your car it was at your own risk if something were to happen with them on track

Friend of mine who drove there (with a 996 GT3RS, so no centerlocks ) told me this.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:00 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

A 1 month old GTS at my dealer has CL's on it and there is no marking for torque. The head service tech said Porsche told them to torque all CL's to 600mn no matter if driven on the street or track.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:41 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Wow, this is interesting stuff....ya had ta know that this system would be a PITA from the word go.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts
Default So has anyone in N.A yet got a call from their dealer?

title says it all, when will PCNA institute the dealer recall as per the PCGB program?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:16 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

What's interesting is that the dealers here in the US are clueless. My service tech is actually following this thread for info, as there is absolutely no such channel available to him internally. PCNA could do a better job, especially, since the US, for the time being, is PAG's biggest market.

Quick Reply: Center lock will be changed by dealers soon