Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Center lock will be changed by dealers soon

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Let me echo the sentiment of others by asking .. whaaat?!

Did they explain what the FFFFUUCCCKKKK was wrong with the brake rotors?

By "lock bolts" I presume Porsche means the wheel nuts.

I guesstimate the ticket for this recall was approaching US$20K. No wonder they're in no rush to put a couple of hundred cars at that kind of line item all in the one quarter and go bang on the P+L.
I'm guessing if one of the CLs becomes loose this would result in wheel and hub damage ... not sure about the rotors ...

I agree that is a HUGE price tag per car.... much more than the $1k for 4xCL nuts!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:11 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Someone from the board of directors, wishes that he could turn back time..and bring back the status quo ante.. : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCYpk0ivqjo
Old 06-07-2011, 05:19 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Let me echo the sentiment of others by asking .. whaaat?!

Did they explain what the FFFFUUCCCKKKK was wrong with the brake rotors?

By "lock bolts" I presume Porsche means the wheel nuts.

I guesstimate the ticket for this recall was approaching US$20K. No wonder they're in no rush to put a couple of hundred cars at that kind of line item all in the one quarter and go bang on the P+L.
Yeah I mean the wheel nuts

Well the thing is I didn't notice all this until later on! They originally told me they needed to replace 4 nuts + 1 wheel hub and that's what i thought they did. A few days later I'm standing next to my car with a friend of mine and I notice something strange about the rear brake disk. When checking it up close it was BRAND NEW (pads werent yet completely touching disk surface because I only did like 200km on the highway since having the work done). So I checked the other side and that one was new too.

One of my wheels had curb damage (not my fault, long story, but to cut it short i sourced a new wheel to replace this one), but upon checking the wheel the curb damage was gone! My first thought was that they installed the wheel on the other side, but no, no curb damage there either! So I have a spare rear wheel now.

I know the official prices for the parts in EU (without VAT):
200 euro for 1 nut
600 euro for 1 rear brake disk
1600 euro for 1 rear wheel

wheel hub i don't know

you do the maths

Something I do know for sure is that when still having the nuts torqued at 500Nm it happened that when checking the torque after a few runs I could sometimes retighten one of them. Never happened with the nuts torqued at 600Nm.

I might add that in one year of ownership the wheels have come of quite regularly (changing tires, changing pads, changing disks, checking disks ...)
Old 06-07-2011, 05:49 AM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sent an email to Porsche Dubai service centre and this is their response:
Dear Sir,

"Thanks for your e mail, no need to stop driving the car but unfortunately some of the dealers they deliver the car with out tightening the wheels to the required torque and that what leads sometimes to cause kind of vibration and noises, you can pass by tomorrow for a quick re check just to be sure that's every thing with Porsche standard." WTF?

So from what they are saying because some of the dealers did not PDI properly on $150,000 plus car all the above issues occurred????? Something is not right here or am I being naive?
Old 06-07-2011, 08:39 AM
almeena58
Racer

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Yeah I mean the wheel nuts

Well the thing is I didn't notice all this until later on! They originally told me they needed to replace 4 nuts + 1 wheel hub and that's what i thought they did. A few days later I'm standing next to my car with a friend of mine and I notice something strange about the rear brake disk. When checking it up close it was BRAND NEW (pads werent yet completely touching disk surface because I only did like 200km on the highway since having the work done). So I checked the other side and that one was new too.

One of my wheels had curb damage (not my fault, long story, but to cut it short i sourced a new wheel to replace this one), but upon checking the wheel the curb damage was gone! My first thought was that they installed the wheel on the other side, but no, no curb damage there either! So I have a spare rear wheel now.

I know the official prices for the parts in EU (without VAT):
200 euro for 1 nut
600 euro for 1 rear brake disk
1600 euro for 1 rear wheel

wheel hub i don't know

you do the maths

Something I do know for sure is that when still having the nuts torqued at 500Nm it happened that when checking the torque after a few runs I could sometimes retighten one of them. Never happened with the nuts torqued at 600Nm.

I might add that in one year of ownership the wheels have come of quite regularly (changing tires, changing pads, changing disks, checking disks ...)
Can you share pic of the new CL
Old 06-07-2011, 08:47 AM
almeena58
Racer

Originally Posted by 1198r
I sent an email to Porsche Dubai service centre and this is their response:
Dear Sir,

"Thanks for your e mail, no need to stop driving the car but unfortunately some of the dealers they deliver the car with out tightening the wheels to the required torque and that what leads sometimes to cause kind of vibration and noises, you can pass by tomorrow for a quick re check just to be sure that's every thing with Porsche standard." WTF?

So from what they are saying because some of the dealers did not PDI properly on $150,000 plus car all the above issues occurred????? Something is not right here or am I being naive?
Yes it is not PDIed properly and even not drive tested before delivery, and once something wrong happened to your car they will say it is your mistake, you don't know how to drive porsche and you have to pay for the damage.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:31 PM
1198r
Pro

Well after the initial response, I went back to them and I finally got some sense and they have confirmed my car is under re-call. I will take it in tomorrow and see what they have to say and report back.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:55 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by almeena58
Can you share pic of the new CL
Old 06-08-2011, 04:12 AM
cdixon
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Hope it was not them that put that fold in your CL cap.......
Old 06-08-2011, 03:37 PM
almeena58
Racer

Thanks,

now we can see two marks: 100NM and the second one is STOP.

what does that mean? where is 600NM? How i know by using Porsche tools that provided with the car that i tightened 600NM?

these questions are for Porsche!!!!!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:50 AM
LuckyP
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by almeena58
Thanks,

now we can see two marks: 100NM and the second one is STOP.

what does that mean? where is 600NM? How i know by using Porsche tools that provided with the car that i tightened 600NM?

these questions are for Porsche!!!!!
They have removed the torque figure. It is now in a suppliment that it slipped into your owners manual.

No torque figure means that it is the instuction book that is the control factor. Gives them every opportunity to revise the figure in the future should they need to with only a paper suppliment to replace.

"How i know by using Porsche tools that provided with the car that i tightened 600NM?"

You don't! Just the way on any car you have to look in the owners' manual and use your own torque wrench to measure the torque on your 5 stud wheel nuts.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:52 AM
LuckyP
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 29 Posts

Has anyone had the suppliment for the owners manual BTW. My OPC was out of stock when I had my locks changed!!

Pete
Old 06-12-2011, 03:00 PM
1198r
Pro

My car went into the dealer today for what I thought was going to be centre lock change I mean that is what they told me when they said it had been re-called.

On collection, I was told Mr Carl, your car is fine and nothing needs replacing....

Apprarantly the re-call is for all cars to have their centre locks checked by removal and inspecting hubs etc. Dealer here said some of the 2011 RS's have had issues but that mine was fine.

They then told me to bring the car in again and they will change over the centre locks "just in case". But my car is fine to track in the mean time
Old 06-12-2011, 03:02 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Comforting!?
Old 06-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by 1198r
My car went into the dealer today for what I thought was going to be centre lock change I mean that is what they told me when they said it had been re-called.

On collection, I was told Mr Carl, your car is fine and nothing needs replacing....

Apprarantly the re-call is for all cars to have their centre locks checked by removal and inspecting hubs etc. Dealer here said some of the 2011 RS's have had issues but that mine was fine.

They then told me to bring the car in again and they will change over the centre locks "just in case". But my car is fine to track in the mean time
weird, so why did they call the car in, and what did they check?

presumably they checked for the "damage" that may have been caused should the CLs loosen?

Quick Reply: Center lock will be changed by dealers soon