Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Catastrophic Coolant Hose Coupling Failure Registry

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:19 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"Drivers, often wearing a helmet, are more distracted than on public roads because the focus and concentration is on performance driving rather than on any warning lamps..."

What utter bull****.
who here doesnt look that the temps/oil pressure/etc
whats the relevance of the helmet other than leading the reader to believe "youre racing so its Your fault" ???

while i never wish any harm on anyone, but i kinda wish this would happen to the lawyer(s) on this case!
Old 11-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Floridagator
I've looked everywhere for the answer this question (unsuccessfully) so forgive me if it's already been covered here...

Were 997 GT3 Cup cars affected by this issue? If not, how is the cooling system on those engines different from the street version?

If Porsche modified the cooling pipes on the Cup cars, that would imply to me they were aware of some weakness with the street version.

Regards,
BP
. Here's my .02 cents. Porsche Motorsports had to be aware of the possible'weak' link in the cooling system.. They can't afford to let this inferior part fail during a race.. I hate to say it. But unless some tragic event similar to the Toyota incident happens. I don't think PCNA / PAG...or the new parent company will act.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Tim Kay
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Floridagator View Post

I've looked everywhere for the answer this question (unsuccessfully) so forgive me if it's already been covered here...

Were 997 GT3 Cup cars affected by this issue? If not, how is the cooling system on those engines different from the street version?

If Porsche modified the cooling pipes on the Cup cars, that would imply to me they were aware of some weakness with the street version.

Regards,
BP
My belief is that rebuilds on cup motors are done early enough that the epoxy application does not fail within that time frame. My shop replaces (did, anyway) r&r fittings, same as factor, when rebuilt.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:35 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've seen totaled cars from coolant fitting failures.. They knew they had glue issues - that's why they changed adhesives my guess.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:48 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
I've seen totaled cars from coolant fitting failures.. They knew they had glue issues - that's why they changed adhesives my guess.
is that like P claiming there was nothing wrong w/ the CL, but redesigned anyway?
Old 11-14-2013, 01:01 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Yep and torque them to 20% more than they were designed to handle. If they had fixed my coolant fittings I would have signed a non-disclosure for them :-)
Old 11-15-2013, 11:24 AM
kosmo
Race Director

is there a way to check the fittings w/o dropping the engine?
Old 11-15-2013, 01:18 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
is there a way to check the fittings w/o dropping the engine?
Not all of them no. You can see where they are here:
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...urbo-cars.html
Old 11-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Great post. Goes right to the heart of the matter. That there is an issue even though Porsche says none.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:23 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Has the NTSBA accepted their response? Is it case closed???
Old 11-15-2013, 09:43 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 99 Posts

No it won't be that easy. NHTSA will investigate further and most likely go back asking for more information based on the responses and on the facts they have from the claims.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:58 PM
CoGT3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2nd time for me. At 73k miles, water pump pulley shaft broke in half. While in the engine was out, confirmed 2nd coolant leak from plastic connector to oil cooler (first was sleeve backing out). Both where replaced with metal Sharkwerks parts. All coolant sleeves were pinned Sharkwerks style. Shop has welded in the past and wasn't happy with the results. They have also seen post 2010 cars with the supposedly improved epoxy leak.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:31 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CoGT3
2nd time for me. At 73k miles, water pump pulley shaft broke in half. While in the engine was out, confirmed 2nd coolant leak from plastic connector to oil cooler (first was sleeve backing out). Both where replaced with metal Sharkwerks parts. All coolant sleeves were pinned Sharkwerks style. Shop has welded in the past and wasn't happy with the results. They have also seen post 2010 cars with the supposedly improved epoxy leak.
Good move We've seen fittings that were welded that had to be redone as they were porous... not an easy/simple way to do it a la pinning. Those water pump impellors/shafts are composite/plastic and don't last as long as they should either
Old 02-20-2014, 09:08 PM
CoGT3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I should get a small finders fee, the shop had not seen your metal replacement parts for the plastic fitting. Needless to say quite a few GT3/Cup cars in Florida will be sporting some new Sharkwerks parts (too bad you can't see them when installed, they're pretty!)
Old 02-20-2014, 09:24 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CoGT3
I should get a small finders fee, the shop had not seen your metal replacement parts for the plastic fitting. Needless to say quite a few GT3/Cup cars in Florida will be sporting some new Sharkwerks parts (too bad you can't see them when installed, they're pretty!)
aw thanks man Well for sure we have to do somethin' for ya!

Quick Reply: Catastrophic Coolant Hose Coupling Failure Registry