997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT2 Market

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2021 | 02:33 PM
keepupp
Rennlist Member

All Things Porsche and Grand Prix Motors both have GT2 listings with 'Contact Dealer for Price'. Why not list a price? Seems to me this is a prime climate for market manipulation given the very low production numbers of the 997 GT2 and demand for enthusiast vehicles. Otherwise, why not simply list a price? How did we go from high 100's-low 200's to 400's in a matter of months?
Old 12-18-2021 | 06:50 PM
smceo
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by keepupp
All Things Porsche and Grand Prix Motors both have GT2 listings with 'Contact Dealer for Price'. Why not list a price? Seems to me this is a prime climate for market manipulation given the very low production numbers of the 997 GT2 and demand for enthusiast vehicles. Otherwise, why not simply list a price? How did we go from high 100's-low 200's to 400's in a matter of months?
my thoughts exactly…

SYSTEM MOTORSPORTS
RAYS / ADVAN / BBS - RETAIL / WHOLESALE
@thomsonsss / @systemmotorsports

Old 12-20-2021 | 01:23 AM
998TT
Advanced

I think people finally woke up.

These cars trading at or below original MSRP despite the low production numbers never made sense.

It's not uncommon for rare 911's to trade at a multiple of the original MSRP, and now the 997.1 GT2 has entered that world where it likely belongs.
Old 12-20-2021 | 12:24 PM
Metaphysician
Rennlist Member

I think they are trying to inflate the market by creating a "blind auction" and see how much buyers are willing to pay. The current market, including pandemic premium, is virtually unknown since so few examples publicly trade hands. If the dealers publish a price, they are effectively setting the market. When asked for a price individually, they are asking $300K+ to see what sticks. If they can afford to hold the inventory and partner with another dealer to - indirectly or directly - inflate the market, then this becomes the new speculative market price because the only available cars are now priced similarly.
Old 12-20-2021 | 12:32 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

I agree 7.1 gt2’s have been undervalued for some time. But these price increases of this magnitude are definitely not because “the market is speaking” or because the market “woke up.” This is a few dealers getting together to capitalize on very low inventory and production numbers. This is why it has been so hard to value these things for a while. Just not enough “real” transactions to define the market. Just my opinion. Could be wrong if “real buyers” start paying these prices that start with a 3 or 4.

Last edited by ScottArizona; 12-20-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-20-2021 | 01:36 PM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Ok...I'll plant a flag in the ground for transparency and for fun*

2008 GT2
Speed Yellow
Black interior with full yellow stitching
$213k+ MSRP
Carbon Fiber interior bits
Bucket Seats
100% stock (no mods) At one point prior to my ownership it had aftermarket exhaust, but now original exhaust back on.
Only unknown if the passenger side lower rock panel was repainted. One of the previous "owners" who purchased from PNH said their dealer detected paint work in one spot. PNH did not. My PPI did not, but GT2 decal could be in that spot. I had it fully wrapped after paint measurements.
Full exterior Xpel wrap in 2020.
Open wallet maintained.
Delaminated carbon fiber bits on order (for over a year...PNH continues to tell me change in OE supplier delaying production)
10,700 miles
Clean Car Fax
PPI at 7500 miles when I bought it had 62 ignitions at Range 4 and 542 at Range 3. I doubt I've exceeded any Range 2 since I bought it.
$415k
Not bothering to list anywhere else besides this thread.

* Listing there because I'd sell there and be happy to have the money. I would be sad if it sells and not really expecting it to sell. This could be way off market, or not. Feels in the realm of what I thought was unrealistic asks, but who knows.

I'll report if car sells or if I get any serious inquiries.

Car is currently at Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte, NC getting a new rear shoe and new windshield (rock chip caused a crack).

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
The following 2 users liked this post by atlrvr:
f50nut (12-20-2021), Steve Theodore (12-28-2021)
Old 12-20-2021 | 03:19 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

I selfishly hope you don’t get 415k (cause full disclosure, I want one someday!), but If there was ever a spec I’d overpay for, it would be yours!
The following users liked this post:
atlrvr (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021 | 06:40 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atlrvr

2008 GT2
Speed Yellow
$213k+ MSRP
Bucket Seats
100% stock (no mods) At one point prior to my ownership it had aftermarket exhaust, but now original exhaust back on.
Only unknown if the passenger side lower rock panel was repainted. One of the previous "owners" who purchased from PNH said their dealer detected paint work in one spot. PNH did not. My PPI did not, but GT2 decal could be in that spot. I had it fully wrapped after paint measurements.
Open wallet maintained.
Delaminated carbon fiber bits on order (for over a year...PNH continues to tell me change in OE supplier delaying production)
10,700 miles
Clean Car Fax
PPI at 7500 miles when I bought it had 62 ignitions at Range 4 and 542 at Range 3. I doubt I've exceeded any Range 2 since I bought it.
$415k

* Listing there because I'd sell there and be happy to have the money. I would be sad if it sells and not really expecting it to sell. This could be way off market, or not. Feels in the realm of what I thought was unrealistic asks, but who knows.

Car is currently at Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte, NC getting a new rear shoe and new windshield (rock chip caused a crack).

Damn beautiful car. SY has always been my first choice but there are so few of them out there.

I have mixed feelings on pricing. While I hope the rest of the world recognizes how rare and special they are, it would come with an offset that they will be driven less and less. As it is, there are only a hand full with real mileage (40K and over). I think 300-400k is a pipe dream honestly but in this insane market, who knows.
Old 12-20-2021 | 09:53 PM
willskiGT
Intermediate

Bummed to have just missed out on a black Canadian GT2. Buckets and yellow belts. Was trying to sell my 360 and purchase but someone scooped it.

Sold for $225k CAD ($174k USD) with 29,980 miles.
Old 12-20-2021 | 10:15 PM
TiAgMC
Advanced

Originally Posted by atlrvr

2008 GT2
Speed Yellow
$213k+ MSRP
Bucket Seats
Open wallet maintained.
10,700 miles
Clean Car Fax
$415k

Nice car, I bought mine from PNH also, yours was on the showfloor when I picked mine up, if I remember correctly they also had an orange GT2 next to it
Old 12-20-2021 | 11:32 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by willskiGT
Bummed to have just missed out on a black Canadian GT2. Buckets and yellow belts. Was trying to sell my 360 and purchase but someone scooped it.

Sold for $225k CAD ($174k USD) with 29,980 miles.
That black CN GT2 had range 5 and 6 overrevs. Friend passed on it based on that.
Old 12-22-2021 | 02:52 AM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

NA

Last edited by bigmacsmallfries; 12-23-2021 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-22-2021 | 03:09 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Bigmacsmallfries

Must be. Apologies. It was another car. Didn't think there were that many black CN gt2's
Old 12-22-2021 | 05:08 AM
go-ran
Racer

^bigmac

Your car was getting detailed along with mine at GTA in detail. Stunning car , i totally forgot about what car i was picking up when i seen your GT2

remember Kevin telling me it will be for sale soon. The black allows the GT2 to blend in and most people wouldn't recognize the beast hiding in plain sight. The Canadian market for many Porsches is so weird, sometimes its totally cold and then hot as a pistol the next. The 2 white GT2’s have been for sale for 1-2 years without any movement , but your was priced much more aggressively.

GLWS
Old 12-22-2021 | 11:10 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by go-ran
^bigmac

Your car was getting detailed along with mine at GTA in detail. Stunning car , i totally forgot about what car i was picking up when i seen your GT2

remember Kevin telling me it will be for sale soon. The black allows the GT2 to blend in and most people wouldn't recognize the beast hiding in plain sight. The Canadian market for many Porsches is so weird, sometimes its totally cold and then hot as a pistol the next. The 2 white GT2’s have been for sale for 1-2 years without any movement , but your was priced much more aggressively.

GLWS
Thanks, yeah some nice cars passing through there all the time, Kevin does great work. I have inspected the white GT2 upclose myself in Toronto, solid model, in near perfect condition. As for the white GT2 in BC needs 4 new ceramic rotors and pads. It's in rough shape even though it has under 20,000km on it.

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 Market