Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT2 Market

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 03:09 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,924 Likes on 1,731 Posts

Originally Posted by atlrvr
So weirdly, a few days after the 8k mile white GT2 disappeared from Grand Prix site. This same VIN sub-1k mile car showed up on GP's site with no pics and no price.

https://www.pcarautogallery.com/2008...-gt2-c-297.htm

Now it's been removed from Grand Prix's site but still on All Things Porsches (it's been at ATP for close to a year now).

All Things Porsches did also just add this car to their site:

https://www.pcarautogallery.com/2011...2-rs-c-357.htm

GT2 RS with ~9k miles in white.
Does this mean that Grand Prix is up to some sort of funny business
Old 11-29-2021, 08:37 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 425 Likes on 265 Posts

Since we know MattDFW's car just traded hands at $230 through Park Place, we have updated the GT2 Market spreadsheet:

This gives us a nice smooth trend line (red) but no evidence of sales in or approaching the $300’s like some dealers seem to be indicating based on current asking prices. Very strange situation to say the least.

We are aware of one upcoming 7GT2 auction, but its not for a US spec car. If anyone has any recent verifiable US Spec sales results other than posted above, please DM me.
The following users liked this post:
Steve Theodore (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 09:38 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 322 Posts

It never ceases to amaze me how 'cheap' our GT2s are, relative particularly to GT3s and GT3 RS models. The 997.1 GT2 continues to be the Rodney Dangerfield of the line, garnering no respect!
Old 11-29-2021, 10:00 PM
MattDFW
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
Since we know MattDFW's car just traded hands at $230 through Park Place, we have updated the GT2 Market spreadsheet:

This gives us a nice smooth trend line (red) but no evidence of sales in or approaching the $300’s like some dealers seem to be indicating based on current asking prices. Very strange situation to say the least.

We are aware of one upcoming 7GT2 auction, but its not for a US spec car. If anyone has any recent verifiable US Spec sales results other than posted above, please DM me.
I would say after owning many 997 variants the GT2 is a special car. That said, approaching 250-300k opens doors to many cars that might seem more special to the end user. It’s playful suspension and outright torque is amazing for the time period and still amazing today. If sound and a linear torque curve is a priority like it is to me I would look elsewhere. Enjoy in good health as I promise this is a very clean example that should be enjoyed for many years. Cheers!
The following 2 users liked this post by MattDFW:
mchrono (11-29-2021), Steve Theodore (11-29-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 03:17 PM
Metaphysician
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

@mchrono Thanks for tracking this data! Minor tweak - the mileage on the one I just acquired from Park Place/MattDFW was 8,455.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:02 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 425 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Metaphysician
@mchrono Thanks for tracking this data! Minor tweak - the mileage on the one I just acquired from Park Place/MattDFW was 8,455.
Corrected

Its a shame (most of) the dealers don’t keep their sold cars online after the sale, as we can use all the data we can get here. I too am a little stumped at what’s going on in the 7GT2 market. FWIW, I think its peers such as the RS and CGT are much more well known and widely coveted models. When one of those comes up for sale, there are typically more bidders competing for one, despite the fact that they are more common and by that fundamental metric, arguably less collectible. Whether its because there are more of them, or perhaps because people don’t tend to hold on to them as long, there have been more sales of those models over the past year, so these factors lead to a better understanding of how, like so much else out there, they have “gone crazy” over that period. The GT2 market on the other hand leaves us with precious little data over such a short period of overall huge and rapid market change.

Also, with basically everything else in the current model lineup being turbo (whether or not labeled as such), NA has sort of been the “forbidden fruit” of the collectible P-car world. This was not always the psychology. For instance, my personal frame of reference is blasting around town as a kid back in the day in the passenger seat of a 930. That made a permanent impression. Turbo 911s hold a very special and dear place in the heart, and I think with the soon to be released “sport classic” and similar future models, the mass psychology, at least to some extent, will follow accordingly.

Given all of this, I personally don’t think those dealers are wrong to be pricing now in the $3’s. The issue is that no buyer wants to be the first to pay that. Really curious to see what happens when the next clean US spec 7GT2 hits the auction block. Hopefully it wont be too much longer of a wait.

Old 11-30-2021, 04:16 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,493 Likes on 798 Posts

I'm currently in the market for a GT2, any owners considering selling? Feel free to PM me and we can discuss.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:41 PM
jgorscak
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey guys, sorry to hijack (maybe not?) but I have my 2RS listed on Pcarmarket. As these 2RS's rise in price I believe the GT2 will rise proportionately. I've have both now and while the 2RS is at a different level, the GT2 is quite a remarkable car as well

https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/2...he-997-gt2-rs/
Old 12-01-2021, 12:02 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,397 Likes on 1,306 Posts

25k-mile Carrara White 2RS. CF front fenders, AWE exhaust, clutch replaced at 18k miles, full front end and rear XPEL PPF, and body colored aluminum hood also included in the sale. $270k original MSRP. Priced at $350k.

Current listing:
https://luxeautomotivesales.com/2011-porsche-gt2-rs/

Previous listing from 2019 at ~18k miles:
https://www.modernclassicautos.com/2011-gt2-rs-2/

VIN: WP0AE2A9XBS778067
Old 12-01-2021, 09:10 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,397 Likes on 1,306 Posts

GP Motors just took in a 1k-mile Speed Yellow GT2. Sport Buckets, lots of Speed Yellow accents on the interior (stitching and painted trim), and has a GMG roll bar and exhaust according to the BAT listing a little over a year ago. Nearly $213k original MSRP. No price or photos uploaded yet. With the price of the Carrara White one they had not long ago, I predict they want around $400k for this one.

Current listing:
https://www.grandprimotors.com/used/...4e2f42426f.htm

Previous BAT listing:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-911-gt2-14/

VIN: WP0AD29988S796258

Last edited by RapidGT; 12-01-2021 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:35 AM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 255 Posts

Luxe wanted somewhere around $250-$275k when they had it on consignment before they put it up on BaT.

One of 13 US speed yellow cars.

This is the identical spec to my car, except the yellow painted trim (I have the CF). I would much prefer the yellow trim on this car. In fact, this car is 100% perfect.

The 1k miles is a bit of a shame for anyone that plans on driving it. I really wanted this one, but couldn't justify paying a > $50k premium for ultra low miles when I would have doubled the mileage just driving back to Charlotte from SLC.

Last edited by atlrvr; 12-01-2021 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:07 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 258 Posts

Corrected

Its a shame (most of) the dealers don’t keep their sold cars online after the sale, as we can use all the data we can get here. I too am a little stumped at what’s going on in the 7GT2 market. FWIW, I think its peers such as the RS and CGT are much more well known and widely coveted models. When one of those comes up for sale, there are typically more bidders competing for one, despite the fact that they are more common and by that fundamental metric, arguably less collectible. Whether its because there are more of them, or perhaps because people don’t tend to hold on to them as long, there have been more sales of those models over the past year, so these factors lead to a better understanding of how, like so much else out there, they have “gone crazy” over that period. The GT2 market on the other hand leaves us with precious little data over such a short period of overall huge and rapid market change.

Also, with basically everything else in the current model lineup being turbo (whether or not labeled as such), NA has sort of been the “forbidden fruit” of the collectible P-car world. This was not always the psychology. For instance, my personal frame of reference is blasting around town as a kid back in the day in the passenger seat of a 930. That made a permanent impression. Turbo 911s hold a very special and dear place in the heart, and I think with the soon to be released “sport classic” and similar future models, the mass psychology, at least to some extent, will follow accordingly.

Given all of this, I personally don’t think those dealers are wrong to be pricing now in the $3’s. The issue is that no buyer wants to be the first to pay that. Really curious to see what happens when the next clean US spec 7GT2 hits the auction block. Hopefully it wont be too much longer of a wait.
Sound and drama is probably what's doing it for the 3 and 3RS, compared to the 2/2RS. More cars are turbo today than even before and a significant number of drivers want something more visceral. Or so I speculate.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:08 PM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidGT
GP Motors just took in a 1k-mile Speed Yellow GT2. Sport Buckets, lots of Speed Yellow accents on the interior (stitching and painted trim), and has a GMG roll bar and exhaust according to the BAT listing a little over a year ago. Nearly $213k original MSRP. No price or photos uploaded yet. With the price of the Carrara White one they had not long ago, I predict they want around $400k for this one.

Current listing:
https://www.grandprimotors.com/used/...4e2f42426f.htm

Previous BAT listing:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-911-gt2-14/

VIN: WP0AD29988S796258
Grand Prix's link no longer works. Wonder if they sold it already?

Old 12-02-2021, 02:11 PM
f50nut
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 80 Posts

The GT2 RS got a lot more press than the non RS version, both when they were new, and over time to present day by car reviewing YouTubers. I suspect that a lot of collector car values have to do with hype generated by all of these influencers reminding audiences which cars they've been missing out on, and the GT2 just hasn't gotten as much attention from that crowd. I don't think it's unreasonable to think you could pump the market by leaning into those content creators.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:25 PM
Metaphysician
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

This Canadian GT2 just got a small price reduction ($275,900 CAD/$214,948 USD): https://www.drivemotorsports.ca/vehi...ale_class=used

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 Market