Boxster spyder

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 01:42 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Love this new model Spyder.

Good job Porsche.

From the response here on a GT3 forum, sounds like this will be one highly desirable car.

Looks like we may start seeing "over MSRP" pricing again soon?

Phil
Old 11-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Love this new model Spyder.

Good job Porsche.

From the response here on a GT3 forum, sounds like this will be one highly desirable car.

Looks like we may start seeing "over MSRP" pricing again soon?

Phil
No way. MSRP.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't checked the numbers, but I imagine if you add up what Porsche has done with this Speedster Spi(/y)der Roadster thing, it's already a hefty price premium on the Boxster MSRP with no mechanical value add. That's a let-down for people like me: I'll pay up for an RS, but not when it has the same engine, transmission and suspension as the GT3. Porsche has more than adequately addressed this in the 997.2 RS!

Keep in mind this is a 2011 model, not something showing up too soon, so anyone "ordering" today is really just leaving a deposit or a handshake with their dealer. It is in relatively very limited production by Boxster levels, so surely demand will be there to take every car produced, but it's an expensive "entry level" model and that's a contradiction when it comes to closing a sale.

Given the only variable in the negotiation to close a sale is price, you have to expect to see the price being adjusted to reflect savvy buyers looking at an interesting additional car in the garage.

Of course, for "first kid on the block" buyers, time is a factor and they'll pay up for the first car or two (only to find no such enthusiasm a year or two down the road on resale values.)

I like to modify the cars. I think finding an '09 Boxster with PDK and PCCBs with say 10K miles on it at fair market value in a private sale, then go to the parts bin and get the "soft top delete" hardware to turn it into a Spyder would be fun. Without the compromises of no a/c, let alone no audio system ... if ever there's a car that warrants hearing good music, it's the cabrios and spiders.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:57 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Keep in mind this is a 2011 model, not something showing up too soon, so anyone "ordering" today is really just leaving a deposit or a handshake with their dealer.
"In Porsche's time-honored "less is more" (money) world, the Boxster Spyder goes on sale in February 2010 with a base price $61,200."

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/05/l...r-spyder-w-vi/

With that noted, I will say I built one of these cute puppies to spec on the UK configurator, and added another ~35k in options real fast and easily.

Cream/PCCB/PDK/Sport Chrono (to unlock the PDK)/PCM/NAV/red leather interior.

As always the options add up REAL fast

I still remain fully aroused for the car though and asked my dealer to note me as #1 on "the list" haha
Old 11-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 28 Posts

Although everyone here seems to love it, we are a biased group generally going for more hardcore sports cars. I am sure the general public (vast majority of buyers) will go for the cheaper and more user friendly variants. I don't see why this car can't be had for under MSRP given today's economy and the fact it is not limited. I plan to order one, hopefully below MSRP.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:27 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I haven't checked the numbers, but I imagine if you add up what Porsche has done with this Speedster Spi(/y)der Roadster thing, it's already a hefty price premium on the Boxster MSRP with no mechanical value add. That's a let-down for people like me
I couldn't disagree more.

Adding power is not the only type of "mechanical value add".

How about alloy doors, a dedicated roof and lid, lighter alloys and the ability to delete not only the radio but the whole AC system? That and the standard sport buckets and painted interior bits that normally cost a fortune.

And it even has 10 more HP. The RS only adds 15. Which is just about exactly the same on a percentage basis as the Spyder's inscrease.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:09 AM
WildBill
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a Spyder RS with wide body and 400+ HP
Old 11-09-2009, 07:25 AM
f1realtor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love the car, but living in vegas and no a/c is a deal killer for me
Old 11-09-2009, 09:05 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by f1realtor
i love the car, but living in vegas and no a/c is a deal killer for me
It's a no cost option. You can have it with or without. You can have it with or without a radio too.

You can also add in whatever other options you like, PCCB, NAV, Leather everything...
Old 11-09-2009, 09:31 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

what about a roof/top?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up Boxster Coupe...

I'm sure there would be huge demand for a Coupe version of the Boxster Spyder...

...moreover, the reputation of the Cayman would certainly be significantly enhanced from having a genuine "halo" model at the top of the range!

Last edited by Boxster Coupe GTS; 03-13-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:07 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Porsche is smart
The Spider has a $3,200 premium over a Boxster S.

Many Americans will forgo the intent of the weight savings and add back the creature comforts.
Radio (Sound Pkg req) $$$$
A/C $$$$

Let the cash registers ring!
Old 11-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
I couldn't disagree more.

Adding power is not the only type of "mechanical value add".

How about alloy doors, a dedicated roof and lid, lighter alloys and the ability to delete not only the radio but the whole AC system? That and the standard sport buckets and painted interior bits that normally cost a fortune.

And it even has 10 more HP. The RS only adds 15. Which is just about exactly the same on a percentage basis as the Spyder's inscrease.
I was wrong about the timing. I've not heard of Porsche releasing a model year in February of the prior year (or anyone except GM for CAFE compliance) so there's something fishy there.

The 10hp is appealing, but my point was the lack of mechanical value add. Doors skins and 10hp don't cut it and don't make the car any different to drive. The RS brings wider front and rear suspension, shorter diff ratio and I think 15 hp plus "area under the curve" up to 8500 rpm in 3.8 liters is a lot more than the numerical equivalent of 10 hp dialed into the power curve of the humble Boxster.

The roof and spider rear cover are the whole value of the car. If the GT2 seats are standard, that accounts for the price premium, so that's good value. I imagine the Boxster forum sites are buzzing with excitement about this car and with good reason -- someone who really enjoys the Boxster could well find this as the first reason to update since the last facelift.

Porsche seems to be swinging their pricing model pendulum to fewer cars and higher prices. You have to assume there will be a Cayman to match with another 10hp and the nice wheels (assuming this Boxster Spider sells.) I think a little patience, wait for prices to soften, get a $5K discount, leave the A/C in, put in the best factory audio system and it would make for a fun weekender (assuming you're female or a hairdresser ... just kidding!)
Old 11-09-2009, 02:17 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOVING IT, wow, what a cool car!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Turbofanatic
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Reply: Boxster spyder