Boxster spyder

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 03:45 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,747 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think that would be a hot car - just make sure they make the necessary mods to the GT3's gearbox, so that there won't be one forward and six reverse gears
brain copans told me just "FLIP" the gear box over (i have no clue what that meant) and it will work fine. PAG can do it for sure.... when though.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,863 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
brain copans told me just "FLIP" the gear box over (i have no clue what that meant) and it will work fine. PAG can do it for sure.... when though.
I think he means to run the gearbox upside-down, so the left output flange drives the right wheel, etc. That would fix the forward-reverse issue, but there are other things to work out (like the geabox oil pick-up/pump/cooler will be on the top instead of where the oil is, etc.). I'm sure it can be done fairly easily, but it does need some attention. Didn't the GT1 use some form of the Getrag G-50 gearbox?
Old 12-28-2009, 04:28 PM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Here is the lightweight Cayman that might be called ClubSport Cayman.
This is actually a picture of a generation II Cayman, taken at last years L.A. Auto Show.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:43 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

Gonna be hard to realize -176 in the Cayman, as it doesn't have a heavy power top to ditch in favor of a featherweight replacement. Cayman does have a big, relatively heavy hatch with a glass window. One wonders about a CF piece with Lexan, or maybe a 904-ish hatch that creates true flying buttresses.
Sorry, I lied.

It mentions that the weight savings of the Spyder are the same, as in the std. weigh savings of A/C, radio delete, lighter seats, lighter fuel tank and lighter wheels, like in the Spyder.
They mention that most of the weight savings in the Spyder comes from the top and they also mention the lesser weight savings due to the fact that the cabrio top can't just be scrapped as in the Boxter.

Here is the link "Light weight Cayman underway" http://www.telegraaf.nl/autotelegraa...nderweg__.html

Maybe they are making it up, the article says they were informed of the lightwaight model during the intro of the Spyder in California and that the Porsche guys did not correct them or thought it strange to call it the Club Sport.

^ just rip everything out of cayman, inc the engine and tranny
put GT3 engine and gear box in there.
$125,000
put my name down.
It would be the best car, but it would do me no good. If I would fit in a Cayman i would own it already.......
Old 12-28-2009, 05:51 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

The level of enthusiasm on this forum for this car, alas, will IMO greatly exceed that of the general buying public. My guess is that the car will sell in very low numbers. Perhaps it will end up being like the old air-cooled 911s in that due to scarcity, you can drive one for a couple years and then get back most/all of what you paid, from a fellow lightweight-oriented gearhead.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:33 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think he means to run the gearbox upside-down, so the left output flange drives the right wheel, etc. That would fix the forward-reverse issue, but there are other things to work out (like the geabox oil pick-up/pump/cooler will be on the top instead of where the oil is, etc.). I'm sure it can be done fairly easily, but it does need some attention. Didn't the GT1 use some form of the Getrag G-50 gearbox?
he said oil drain is now the pump,
oil fill is now the drain....
i didn't ask him more Q's, else he would think he's talking to a total moron...
Old 12-28-2009, 06:39 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ just rip everything out of cayman, inc the engine and tranny
put GT3 engine and gear box in there.
$125,000
put my name down.
Mooty,

I have some extra parts that you may need to build your own (engines, tranny, brakes)! See Classifieds/Parts and Wheels/Racing Parts/996/997 Cup Parts. And I know you can do it for less than $125k!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:45 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ i am LAZY.
build my own..... i'll never finish.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:10 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
I wonder if this is a transitional model to gently introduce the mid-engine layout of the future Carrera.
I doubt it...if anything, I would think the opposite...that they are using the Spyder (and Club Sport?) to bring more focused drivers to the Boxster/Cayman line so that they can continue to move the Carrera upmarket into a more refined 2+2 GT car, while making room for a new entry level VW-based roadster below the Boxster line.
Originally Posted by triode
The level of enthusiasm on this forum for this car, alas, will IMO greatly exceed that of the general buying public. My guess is that the car will sell in very low numbers. Perhaps it will end up being like the old air-cooled 911s in that due to scarcity, you can drive one for a couple years and then get back most/all of what you paid, from a fellow lightweight-oriented gearhead.
The labor-intensive roof will certainly limit its appeal to the general buying public, and unless it is sold in VERY low numbers, will probably make for low resale as well. I love it and have one coming anyway...
Old 01-03-2010, 02:40 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 86 Posts

Brian thinks everyone is a total moron, so you don't have to worry about that, but an interesting idea.

I think you will find the more interesting colors to not be available on the early cars, silver for example. I think a neat car would be a stripped version in silver with red, tan or light blue interior (as the original 550 Spyders were often equipped) with a small vinyl accent on the rear quarter to match the interior color. Top in tan wold be nice too. That's a purist car ala 1950's.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:52 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

The day a 911 becomes mid-engined, the 911 as we know it is dead. It will look like a 911 but it is not one.

I would not be surprised if that happens though, marketing being what it is. The rumor is that the 991's wheelbase is 100mm (4") longer. That is bad in itself and points towards a possible engine flip.

I think that the true last 911 is the current model.

Do you want a mid-engine car - buy a Cayman and change the engine.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:44 PM
f1realtor
Intermediate

I've read that the bikini top leaves enough space between the top of the rolled up window and bikini top that you can stick your hand in. For vegas weather, I think that counts me out. A removable hardtop option would be something that would end all of the excuses for me. I'm not a fan of convertible cars, but this one is just stunning.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

That's not what I've read. Supposedly no gaps, although maybe you can wedge a hand through if you try.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:30 PM
bnkrupt
6th Gear

Originally Posted by triode
I hope so. The boxster never did anything for me, THIS car is the most desirable porsche in my mind.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 101 Posts

I ordered one this morning- July allocation. White/black, mostly stripped but did add the AC. I got the pccb's with my 997 tt but not on the spyder. When I got my turbo, I wanted the GT3 but it was a little too rough for our bad roads. Now at half the price, my spyder will be weekend/fair weather driver. With options kept to a minimum, this is a great value and should be a lot of fun to drive.

Quick Reply: Boxster spyder