Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's a surprise.
Not bad at all.
Still strange they didn't lose a lot more weight for all the compromises.

Equally curious that not one of the inside-info sources had a clue that this was going down the pipe.

Porsche still has a few surprises up it's sleeve, but this one is news.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:32 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, very nice!

I really hope the 'lightweight movement' makes its way across the prod line!

Dumb question as I have never run a cab at a PCA event: Can you run the same at a DE event without a hardtop or without a full soft-top?? I think I've seen soft-tops out there here in NJ, but I don't recall ever seeing an open top unless spec'd with a cage. You prob have to have arm restraints at the very least..
Old 11-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cello
Wow, very nice!

I really hope the 'lightweight movement' makes its way across the prod line!

Dumb question as I have never run a cab at a PCA event: Can you run the same at a DE event without a hardtop or without a full soft-top?? I think I've seen soft-tops out there here in NJ, but I don't recall ever seeing an open top unless spec'd with a cage. You prob have to have arm restraints at the very least..
Sensible enough question -- yes, DE's and TT's allow Cabs with "factory roll over protection" (including the things that pop out of the rear of the canopy area on a Cab or presumably this new roadster/speedster.) Things like nets and arm restraints aren't relevant to DE/TT afaik.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:04 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

CGT - Here (NJ) for certain cabs, the roll bars must be "deployed" or popped up first believe it or not. Not too sure of the exact rules as I don't run one. And if there is no full top (soft or hard) arm restraints are required. I am wondering how the "land of laws" will treat this car with a 'bimini' (or any old jeep or boat owners) top ..
Old 11-07-2009, 02:33 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Anyone got a pic with the rear lid up? I wonder why they didn't go *****-out and make it a see-through to the engine ... oh, that's right ... the engine is pretty boring and should be locked away in a box(ster) ... is that where they got the name? : )

I wonder if the Boxster/Cayman has the same weight problem in the new LED tail lights.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:37 AM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

How much heavier are those LED tail lights?
Old 11-07-2009, 09:42 PM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a deposit down on one yesterday
Old 11-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Love it.

Make mine white with black wheels, PDK, radio, no a/c.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:30 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAMS
How much heavier are those LED tail lights?
I'd be surprised if they really are a lot heavier since the new cup car has them too. Does anyone have an actual weight comparison?
Old 11-08-2009, 12:11 AM
WildBill
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This car has a lot of potential fun factor. I'm very interested.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:52 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,094 Likes on 1,809 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcourt
I put a deposit down on one yesterday
Nice!
Old 11-08-2009, 07:26 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 530 Posts

This is one cool car!
Old 11-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 19 Posts
Exclamation Additional weight from LED lights...

Originally Posted by bob_dallas
I'd be surprised if they really are a lot heavier since the new cup car has them too. Does anyone have an actual weight comparison?
Andreas Preuninger comments on the LED lights for the 2010 Porsche 911 GT3 at the Geneva Motor Show...

"Some components grew a little bit heavier, even on the GT car ... the rear lights, the LEDs - they weigh 2 kilos more each. They look fantastic ... but all the brainwork, all the cables and the unit itself ... altogether it’s 4 kilos more, so you have to find this weight elsewhere..."

Source: Andreas Preuninger interview by Chris Harris (Geneva Motor Show 2009)

Last edited by Boxster Coupe GTS; 02-20-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:10 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boxster Coupe GTS
Andreas Preuninger comments on the LED lights for the 2010 Porsche 911 GT3 at the Geneva Motor Show...

"Some components grew a little bit heavier, even on the GT car ... the rear lights, the LEDs - they weigh 2 kilos more each. They look fantastic ... but all the brainwork, all the cables and the unit itself ... altogether it’s 4 kilos more, so you have to find this weight elsewhere..."

Thanks
Old 11-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boxster Coupe GTS

8.8 lbs on a four foot lever working against the rear tires (though helping the car rotate into the turn arguably, etc., etc.) Not to be ignored.

Interesting that he mentions "brainwork" (electronics hardware somewhere in the car) and "cabling" (LEDs should be running much less current and so requiring much less wire ... maybe there's some design issues in the LED housing itself) and "housing" (so the Cup assembly could easily be lightened considerably to retain a street car resemblance.) At 2700lb, the Cup is by no means a lightweight, so 4kg to them (keep in mind, that's additional weight, not total) might not be worth pursuing when they're still running urethane bumper covers for example.

Pretty cool that the engineer is openly discussing the pro's and con's, not at all hiding the contradictions of going after a $1700 battery while carrying LED ballast at the worst point on the pendulum.

If I get an RS, I certainly won't be targeting those 4 kilo's, but if the Cup assembly is lighter (and not wildly expensive) I have to admit I'd be tempted to tinker with it just for fun.

Quick Reply: Boxster spyder