Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

AWESOME pictures! Thanks!!
Old 09-07-2009, 12:23 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kryten
Do you have any tips on routes down to and around the Alps? Just got the call to say my car is due to finish production at the end of Sept, so I need to get planning!!!
Take a look at the post below, this is probably a pretty good bet as far as what he has laid out. The funny thing about the Alps is it does take longer than you think to get from point A to point B due to mountain passes and stuff! I would say most of the Alps is fantastic and it ends up being a personal preference. I did like the Dolomite mountains in Italy quite a bit.

Originally Posted by frafoss
My girlfriend and and a couple of friends did this journey this summer.

In total 9 mountainpasses. Especially Grossglockner are Stelvio are spectacular. Remember to drive the roads marked Scenic. If not you will miss all the candy and only drive the highways.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,2.113495&z=10
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
TDM,

How do I get a copy?

I have been waiting for the "Porsche Euro delivery for Dumies" to be published......
Check out page 19 of this thread to see my suggestions for anybody wanting to duplicate a trip such as mine! TRAKCAR, I hope you get to do this as I am sure you will love it!

As far as getting a copy of the article I wrote of the trip, if you are a PCA member you will get a copy of the article in the next several months.

Originally Posted by pdxjim
AWESOME pictures! Thanks!!
Thanks for the compliment
Old 09-07-2009, 12:34 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Great news my fellow Rennlisters!!!

My 2010 GT3 is getting closer to her final destination!!! The vessel she is on has left her first port of Halifax Canada yesterday and is on her way to Baltimore as I type this.

Name:  CosmosVenture.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  131.1 KB

I am obviously quite excited to be reunited. I have a complete track schedule laid out for the rest of the year, including 6 days at Watkins Glen (3 different events), 2 days at Lightning at NJMP, 2 days at Summit Point and 3 days at VIR. If I get enough work done this month I may even throw in another event at VIR and possibly another Summit Point event.

I have been busy getting supplies for the car ready, like harness parts and window tear off covers and torque wrenches and stuff. Like Blains said earlier, it is a way to start nesting!
Old 09-07-2009, 08:13 AM
kryten
Advanced

Originally Posted by frafoss
My girlfriend and and a couple of friends did this journey this summer.

In total 9 mountainpasses. Especially Grossglockner are Stelvio are spectacular. Remember to drive the roads marked Scenic. If not you will miss all the candy and only drive the highways.
Nice! Out of interest, how long did you spend doing the passes (eg from Salzberg across to Bern)?

What I'm struggling to figure out is how far I can get - I'm likely to have three or maybe four days from collecting the car in Stuttgart to needing to back back home in the UK.

I figure I can do Basel/Zurich area back to home in a (long) day which leaves me two or three to go from Stuttgart down to the mountains and through...
Old 09-07-2009, 08:59 AM
frafoss
Instructor

Originally Posted by kryten
Nice! Out of interest, how long did you spend doing the passes (eg from Salzberg across to Bern)?

What I'm struggling to figure out is how far I can get - I'm likely to have three or maybe four days from collecting the car in Stuttgart to needing to back back home in the UK.

I figure I can do Basel/Zurich area back to home in a (long) day which leaves me two or three to go from Stuttgart down to the mountains and through...
As someone said before, it takes more time than you think driving in the Alps. This because of the passes, traffic and you can't avoid stopping to hav a look.

If you have three/four days available, I would recommend the route from Salzburg to Davos and so go north by Zürich or Lichtenstein. Then you will get to see Grossglockner/Edelweisspitze, the Italian Dolomittes, Stelvio pass + lots of other mountainpasses. The best part if you ask me.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Rocci
Instructor

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
Euro Delivery tips

Get yourself a portable navigation system. When you order nav in a Porsche it will have North America in it and will do you no good while in Europe. Plug your destinations into the nav before you go so you do not have to fumble with it over there.

TDM - thanks for sharing your adventures. Truly enjoyed all your reports and pics. I did the ED back in 2005 for my M3 and promised myself I would do it again, but next time a Porsche. I will be studying all your reports and advise in more detail and hopefully will be able to arrange ED for next year. We are getting ready to leave on Sunday for Germany for 2 weeks. Unfortunately, not picking up a car on this trip. But I am interested in the portable nav you used. Which brand, model and were you happen with it? Thanks again, and enjoy the car. BTW great choice on the car, and more importantly on doing the ED for that car (and I confess I am green with envy). Congratulations.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:56 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RPM911S
I am interested in the portable nav you used. Which brand, model and were you happen with it?
Hey, The nav unit was a Garmin and was borrowed from a friend. All I can tell you is that it had the European info in it, including gas stations and restaurants and stuff like that. Make sure whatever you get does have Europe on it!
Old 09-09-2009, 05:36 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I've used Garmin and TomTom in Germany, and I've been a passenger in a car using a Panasonic. There does not seem to be a lot to recommend either of them. I bought a Euro TomTom mostly because I have a US Garmin in the US and wanted to try it out. I think it might be a bit better for Europe.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:14 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 340Elise
Great thread, keep it coming!

Just a note on the top speed and speedo error.

It is German law (or so I have read numerous times) that the manufacturers of cars in Germany make the speedo show the actual speed the car is going or higher; but never less. So to err on the side of caution, the speedos are always on the high side. I have read on many boards that the newer Porsches are off by a set delta (usually seems to be 3 mph), but I have also read they are off by a percentage.

My 997.1 GT3 produced the following results: I was able to get it to an indicated speed of 192 mph, but did not have GPS to verify. Later I found that the speedo error on mine is right about 6-7% and verified this through several speed ranges with GPS including up to 160 mph indicated.

So when I showed 192, I was actually doing about 179 to 180 mph. I don't think I had much more on the tach, but I cannot be sure as I was watching the road. Also, this test was performed at about 4,000 ft of elevation, which should cut power output by about 12%.

You were probably doing about 188 to 189 mph, which would explain the extra rpm left, and then seems about right for a top speed of 194. I assume you were at a fairly low elevation?

Either way, that is freakin' FAST!!! Good Job!

Yes the speedo is off, and probably a lot more than most think.
The head engineer told us flat out on the press launch that the top speed was actually in excess of 200 mph. He said they didn't advertise it as such because some other Porsche models (probably the Turbo) are "supposed" to be faster. You are likely right about the error though. We had the test car cruising at 312 km/h (195 mph)...sure didn't seem to take long to get there. Most stable car I've driven at that speed.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Rocci
Instructor

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
I've used Garmin and TomTom in Germany, and I've been a passenger in a car using a Panasonic. There does not seem to be a lot to recommend either of them. I bought a Euro TomTom mostly because I have a US Garmin in the US and wanted to try it out. I think it might be a bit better for Europe.
Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
Hey, The nav unit was a Garmin and was borrowed from a friend. All I can tell you is that it had the European info in it, including gas stations and restaurants and stuff like that. Make sure whatever you get does have Europe on it!

Thanks for the info on the nav systems. I did end up ordering the TomTom based on reviews i read. The first destination I will enter when I get it will be the Frankfurt Auto Show.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:02 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 138 Posts

Great write up!

Great tips as well! I can't wait for my trip to Porsche next year
Old 09-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts

TDM: this one's for you

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/edi...gring-lap-100/
Old 09-23-2009, 10:49 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Several of us had the opportunity to see Mikes car in person this past Monday Tuesday at the Glen.

What can you say but what a beauty, the seats alone are a work of art. Sounds quiet until you romp on it. I was following Mike on the streets in my Avalanche and at 60 it seemed like it wasn't moving but once he got on it, it was obvious how quick it was.

I guess we can all hope for one someday.

BTW Mike this was the road I was talking to you about where we lost our brakes midway down in a Jaguar XJ12 many years ago.
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2009, 02:53 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nizer

Thanks Nizer! That ending totally sounds like Sabine! She is such an entertaining person!

Originally Posted by cobalt
Several of us had the opportunity to see Mikes car in person this past Monday Tuesday at the Glen.

Good to see you up there Tony!

So the GT3 did land in the States last week and has already seen some track time. I will give a full report some time next week

Good driving to all!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
BTW Mike this was the road I was talking to you about where we lost our brakes midway down in a Jaguar XJ12 many years ago.
Cool photo. Where is it taken? Reminds of a trip I took over the Passo della Novena in Switzerland.

Quick Reply: While in Germany...