Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RMS fix DENIED by dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfie
If you bought an extended warranty, it wasn't through Porsche or PFS, perhaps that company will cover it....they may not ask if it has been modded, etc...

Coochas, please PM me which dealer told you no warranty work on your C4S...
PM sent Alfie,....for the record it was NOT Ira!
Old 04-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

Coochas, can you please PM me on dealer? I'm in Boston area and have deposit on new GT3. Want to make sure I'm not with a bad dealer. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:34 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by seefouress
I'm getting ready to install a Sharky bypass on my RS and now am having second thoughts (already have one on the GT3 and love it). The discussion about whether or not a loss of back pressure could cause an RMS leak is way above my level of technical knowledge. Could we get some of the experts on this forum to weigh in a bit more as to whether that cause is even remotely possible?
Hey Rocky, the flow is actually the same because the path is The only difference really is the reduction of packing/sound-deadening and material for "muffling" if you will As we say you don't "gain" any power (or loose any) because ours is just for sound so we made sure to keep flow the same. Either way even with full on exhaust/headers etc... there's just no way that it could cause an RMS leak. Porsche's pretty much perfected that on their own with the M96 block and then now with the 997GT3 because of the crap seal they use (unlike on the 996GT3).
Old 04-21-2009, 01:35 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sws1
First off - the TSB does not say the warranty will be denied. Just says they want a list of all mods.
But, they DID deny his warranty claim.

Second - threaten them with taking them to court, citing the Magnuson Moss act. They absolutely can not win the argument based on an exhaust.
Porsche is not dumb. They already have a claimed cause: "reduced backpressure" which I'm sure they can back up with whatever real or fictional engineering analysis/statistics they can cook up and that you will never have access to. I think it will take a lot more than the cost of an RMS replacement to prove that your engineering is right and their engineers/numbers are wrong. The best thing going for the OP is that leaks are common on cars without aftermarket exhaust.

(All above said in half-devil's advocate... not trying to beat on anyone but Porsche's weak-@$$ excuses.)

What this does say to me is Porsche is turning another page in its supreme arrogance and making customers take the shaft for their design deficiencies. What does this tell existing customers looking to upgrade? I think it says to stay with what you have until it's proven to work or go to another brand. I'm not the only one with at least the former concern.

As a counterpoint, we got some notice a year or two back on my wife's Lexus regarding a problem that could affect some % of vehicles. They would replace some part to help mitigate the problem and, further, extend the warranty on any related problem to 100K miles. I don't even remember what the problem was which is my point. Lexus went out of their way to stand behind their product.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:37 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Adam S
They said the cause stated is "diminished backpressure"...

I went back and picked up my car... the advisor tells me that the field rep warned me that if anyting else happens to my engine, I may be in trouble because of this (ie total warranty voided)...

I can't believe it.... especially that I paid extra $$ for an extended 7 year warranty...

:-(
Wow they're really pushing the boat out on this eh Any chance you can go to another dealership and start over? I mean the whole RMS thing has been covered to death on here and other forums and Porsche knows it's an issue on stock cars. Look at F4plt's issue for example;(

Good talking to you today and as we were saying Porsche is likely trying to put an end to replacing RMS seals all day long and wants us all to ignore it... Porsche (not the dealership) looses about $1200 a pop in order to pay for the RMS each time so I'm sure the crunch is starting to show since it's happening all the time. Also here's F4plt's

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...port-here.html

Last edited by sharkster; 04-21-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:56 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

Why chance it ?

Sharkwerks exhaust costs $2k, doesnt provide any power increase and now is a warranty risk
Just not worth it
Old 04-21-2009, 02:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Second - threaten them with taking them to court, citing the Magnuson Moss act. They absolutely can not win the argument based on an exhaust.
They will win.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

This is the same short-term thinking that led to the downfall of Detroit automakers. When will manufacturers learn that you have to stand behind what you sell?
Old 04-21-2009, 02:21 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam S
They said the cause stated is "diminished backpressure"...
I went back and picked up my car... the advisor tells me that the field rep warned me that if anyting else happens to my engine, I may be in trouble because of this (ie total warranty voided)...
:-(
I forgot to mention this in my first post as to how to proceed from hear. I would request that the state the denial of the claim or the lack of warranty in writing, Not only that its void for the bypass but the How a bypass could cause the leak. Make them commit in writing so you have proof of what they are saying. Don't let them off the hook with verbal.

we all know plenty of 3's that have no bypass and have RMS, I was one of them I have the bypass now but it leaked 3000 miles before and can prove it was fixed and leaked again before bypass was put on.

Also, part two, you can play this game to. take the by pass off and bring it back when it leaks bypass off still leaks can't be pressure anymore. or \

Last point to make its not such a big deal on the bypass as they don't have a way to fix it but If I had other problems that they can fix I would not let this slide. That is what they are counting on. don't do it.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:49 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
They will win.
Not always.
Someone not me got rms fixed with bypass pipe recently. Entire gt3 engine replaced. Present ur case to a technically sophisticated service advisor who will work for u. If the car cannot deal with simple open
Pipe mod, I don't know...... I certainly won't be buying another 130,00 Porsche.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:01 PM
seefouress
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche52
I just posted this topic in the internal PCNA source forum. Curious to see what kind of response I get. Gas flow dynamics is very complicated, I cannot see how this is possible but we will see. I will report back to this forum if any info worth a damn is posted.

seefouress, see my previous post #36. I'm no expert but I did stay at a holiday inn last night
Thanks for that. I'm anxious to see what responses you get from your PCNA post!
Old 04-21-2009, 05:14 PM
seefouress
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Hey Rocky, the flow is actually the same because the path is The only difference really is the reduction of packing/sound-deadening and material for "muffling" if you will As we say you don't "gain" any power (or loose any) because ours is just for sound so we made sure to keep flow the same. Either way even with full on exhaust/headers etc... there's just no way that it could cause an RMS leak. Porsche's pretty much perfected that on their own with the M96 block and then now with the 997GT3 because of the crap seal they use (unlike on the 996GT3).
Thanks Alex. One clarification please. Are you saying that there is no reduction in back pressure with your bypass or that a back pressure reduction can't cause an RMS leak? If it's the former, then it would seem that the cause given by Porsche in denying the RMS warranty claim is clearly in error.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:17 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

my 912 doesn't leak

Sorry I had to. That is total BS, this problem has been going on long enough now!! Can't they figure it out for F sake?!? Damn embarassing if you ask me.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:26 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by seefouress
Thanks Alex. One clarification please. Are you saying that there is no reduction in back pressure with your bypass or that a back pressure reduction can't cause an RMS leak? If it's the former, then it would seem that the cause given by Porsche in denying the RMS warranty claim is clearly in error.
Hey Rocky, correct there's no significant change in back pressure with our system. There would be a change with something like side muffler deletes/headers cats etc... but even then for Porsche to deny it based on a straight pipe would still be a stretch. I mean if that were the case then all 996/997/boxster must be running straight through exhausts too and leaking
Old 04-21-2009, 06:42 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche52
Just spoke with the FTM involved with this case. I was informed that extensive testing has and or is being performed at Weissach in regards to exhaust backpressure and crankcase vacuume in relation to oil leaks on the GT3 powerplant. All the orders come from the TOP. Please understand I did not intend to undermind PCNA and or any of its employees regarding this issue. I have total confidence that PCNA will resolve this issue and take care of the customer. Ooops
Guess some read the Source...then give you a call....

Most likely you spoke to the FTR involved, and if it is whom I believe it is, he is a stand-up guy that is a walking knowledgeable technical encyclopedia about the brand.

A good guy to have in your corner

Quick Reply: RMS fix DENIED by dealer!