RMS fix DENIED by dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 12:47 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Speaking of Scientific engineering how about this for a"control group" My car had RMS 1 year before I did the Sharkwerks bypass, so how is that for Science? If we did a pole of all the GT2, 3's and TT with RMS the ones that had a bypass would account for a small percentage of leakers.
scientifically speaking, your car KNEW you will get sharkwerk bypass, thus it leaked preemptively.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:03 AM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, is it now established that the leaks come from the seal and not some other crankcase joint or other such places where oil could seep through? Has anyone seen these "high resolution" pictures of leaking engines once separated from the transmission/clutchbell/flywheel? I'm very curious to understand what's going on, designing a seal isn't rocket science, there has to be something else at work here. Surely nothing that Porsche can't address..

Regards,
Chris
Old 04-24-2009, 01:37 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
no, i have a 2008, it pees as well.

well, so much for ruleing out later models......
Old 04-24-2009, 03:00 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
it is no secret porsche knows that the RMS in 2007 GT3's is faulty. They are running a way too big a tab to keep up with it.
The strategy is to ignore any RMS warranty problem on basis of modification. (i.e:exhaust)
Dealers can alter this if willing.

Bottom line is they really cant wait for warrantys to run out. they rue the day until then.
They will keep installing bogus seals to hold off problems until the day of extended warrantys run out.

The true problem is probably somewhere else.... but alas, they will keep pluggin seals untl then.

those with 2008's are in the clear i suspect
It's a hell of a well kept secret because both my '07 GT3's did not leak.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:06 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
Alex, it was a slow and boring day, so I just returned from taking the 3 on a round trip out "the test track" with the sunroof and both windows opened. Thank you and James for the wonderful bypass!!! Nothing like it. By the way, 30,489 miles.........no RMS!!! Just a lot of worn out MPSC's and not very high GPM!! hehe. When you bring'n the tadpole up?
Thirty thousand miles on a 997 GT3?! That's impressive! I don't have a combined 30K on every car since I bought my first 996 GT3. I need to get out there more often! : )

I think I did rack up about 10K miles on the tow vehicle in '08, so maybe I did score 30K all up in two years, but I still doubt it.

I took out the 993 recently and it really had me wishing wistful dreams of just driving it. No destination. Just the journey itself. Oregon. Wyoming. Texas. Zig zag across the continent. Maybe end up in Canadia (kidding) for the Targa. Imagine that: Targa in a 997 GT3. That would have to be a decent entry in the bucket list. No?
Old 04-24-2009, 03:34 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Default gt3

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
It's a hell of a well kept secret because both my '07 GT3's did not leak.
that is good to hear!
perhaps a thread should be started for those who do not have RMS problems.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:54 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

that is good to hear!
perhaps a thread should be started for those who do not have RMS problems.
I'm not sure how to handle the problem.

I don't want to shout down anyone posting here or on other Porsche forums talking about oil leaks.

There's clearly a problem.

If anything, PCNA (Porsche Cars North America) has to honor the intent of the warranty and make sure customers are not denied reasonable warranty coverage, especially when we're hearing about this nonsense of "back pressure" ... that's just laughable. To try to connect crankcase pressure to exhaust pressure is like connecting blood pressure to shoelace pressure (oh yeah ... you got loose shoes there mister ... dat's why you got that aortic thrombosis ... hope that all works out for ya ...)
Old 04-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
no, i have a 2008, it pees as well.
John,

Go back to your Lotus .... it leaks as well but Lotus will fix it under warranty.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:13 PM
hikejohn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All this sounds pretty scary to someone considering a Porsche...I had decided to get the 997.2 or 987.2 but then realized it is the first year of lots of new stuff...no real assurance the Porsche has fixed the RMS/IMS problems with new engine...thus I think it most sensible to get 2007 or 2008 model with low miles and CPO in force....I eliminated the 2005/06 models due to these problems...not sure if the new IMS bearing solves the problem or not....so I will drive this for a few years and then see if Porsche has really fixed things or not...I find this all disturbing for a company known for engineering expertise....
Old 04-25-2009, 07:35 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by hikejohn
All this sounds pretty scary to someone considering a Porsche...I had decided to get the 997.2 or 987.2 but then realized it is the first year of lots of new stuff...no real assurance the Porsche has fixed the RMS/IMS problems with new engine...thus I think it most sensible to get 2007 or 2008 model with low miles and CPO in force....I eliminated the 2005/06 models due to these problems...not sure if the new IMS bearing solves the problem or not....so I will drive this for a few years and then see if Porsche has really fixed things or not...I find this all disturbing for a company known for engineering expertise....
I had a 2007 997 GT3 that was re-purchased after four RMS in less that 3500 miles and 11 months, and no track time. I then ordered a 992.2 C2S and after 4300 miles since mid January delivery I am still very happy with everything about it. I got the PDK transmission. I have had one issue with the car and that was a power steering leak. The leak was from a bad "O" ring that is used as a seal between the fluid tank and the power steering pump itself. The car has been a joy to own and fun to drive. I have also tracked both a 997.2 Carrera and Carrera S with PDK at the Porsche Performance Driving School and everything about the 2009 car is better than the '08 or earlier. They have improved the suspension and steering etc. The more important issue for you as a prospective buyer is the question I asked the maintenance folks at the school "what problems have you had with the new 911's ?" There answer is none. They change the brake pads as required, the tires about every 1000 miles (mich PS2's) and the fluids on schedule. No mechanical problems of note. That in itself speaks a lot for a new engine and transmission that is pushed hard on a daily basis. Lastly I find the new C2S to be as or more enjoyable when driven normally or pushed hard as was the GT3. The new engine revs quickly to red line and has plenty of torque. The PDK simply fantastic and even better on the track, and I still drive an '83 Sc as a track car. I would not sell the new 911's short. Hope this helped.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:01 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Jack
John,

Go back to your Lotus .... it leaks as well but Lotus will fix it under warranty.
my lotus didnt leak
:-)

hows the 211? i saw one at sears point, the thing is fast.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:19 PM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hikejohn
The 997.2 and 987.2 engine (9A1) does not have a Intermeadiate Shaft , so I would say they fixed that issue!! The new RMS have been great. No issues as far as oil leaks from the back of the 9A1 engine that I can think of.

Last edited by porsche52; 12-18-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Jewels
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a GT-3 997 that was purchased 01/07. After storage over the winter (northeast usually 5 months) it leaks some drops for 2-4 days till I take it out ...warm it up fully and then ...nothing. I have tracked it several times and it is bone stock except seats and a bar. So, my experience is such that I will probably not excercise my warrantee at this point.
My belief is that if my Porsche dosent't leak something it is out of oil! I have had many.
Now my GTR dosen't leak a drop.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:06 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jewels
I have a GT-3 997 that was purchased 01/07. After storage over the winter (northeast usually 5 months) it leaks some drops for 2-4 days till I take it out ...warm it up fully and then ...nothing. I have tracked it several times and it is bone stock except seats and a bar. So, my experience is such that I will probably not excercise my warrantee at this point.
My belief is that if my Porsche dosent't leak something it is out of oil! I have had many.
Now my GTR dosen't leak a drop.

which car do you prefer? which car would you rather keep for 10 years??

just curious to hear from a non biased owner

(im racing against Steve Millen in his GT-R this september)
Old 04-26-2009, 11:08 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

which car do you prefer? which car would you rather keep for 10 years??

just curious to hear from a non biased owner

(im racing against Steve Millen in his GT-R this september)
i assure you mr. millen have nothing on your RS

Quick Reply: RMS fix DENIED by dealer!