RMS fix DENIED by dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 10:54 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
hey, when my Merill (heehee wink wink) stock goes back up to late 07 level, i'll buy a ferrari and let u know how the warranty it after i thrashed it at infineon and LS.

i know many ferrari owners, and a fair share of them track the prancing horses. but when you track a ferrari, you dont drive it like you stole it. you do at at 7/10. things dont break at 7/10....
at that point I'll let you know
Old 04-23-2009, 12:32 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
at that point I'll let you know
DNDN just got me some toys :-)
Old 04-23-2009, 12:42 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Hehe I got us all started on the cup holders now Having said that though so far it's just one dealer and one instance here and there so we'll see. I also talked to some friends in service at two local dealers here and guess what, they have 3 cars with RMS' leaking that they're warrantying. One has our bypass, two are stock and then one is actually getting a bypass put on The bigger change in back-pressure in stock form is when you actually open the valves to bypass the side mufflers so guys had better now use that for fear of leaking
we have a few very good dealers here. and they know how alex abuses his car! sales and mkt'g dont sell cars. it's the service dept that keeps me going back. and the receptionists certainly add to the incentive. .. no, not the one at the place i saw you at last time...
Old 04-23-2009, 12:43 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by todinlaw
I put a PCA sticker on the rear window, am i in trouble?
no, but if you have sharkwerk decal on it, you are dead meat.

yo, send me some more shark fin decal's alex.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:04 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

A few things:

1) While I do believe in trying to forge a good relationship with your service manager and technician please do not forget that when the **** hits the fan they all work for somebody - and that somebody is NOT YOU. I had a very similar experience with my Audi S4 and I swore I would never buy another Audi again. I was so burned by my "friendly" dealership and the marque itself I don't feel comfortable buying a car from them. (I've bought the last 4 cars out of state)

2) I know GMG and the Sharky team have some terrific products. They do exactly what they are supposed to do - enhance your driving experience. However, there is going to be some element of risk when you start tuning a car - especially a car that is so highly tuned such as the GT3.

Keep this in mind re: the exhaust on this car; AWE Tuning designed an exhaust for this car. It is not cheap. They did all kinds of testing, removed mufflers, tried straight pipes, bypasses, cats, etc. They ended up with a very similar design to OEM but used lighter/stronger material. It results in *some* power gain but really offers a change in sound. You are not going to get much power from an exhaust change on these cars.

The point I want to make is that AWE learned something from engineering their exhaust. That is that the OEM exhaust is an extremely well engineered and very tuned exhaust. Manipulating any component of the exhaust would lose power. I believe AWE claimed the "pulsing" from the exhaust was integral to the motor making power. This all affects the pressure inside the case. You can see where Porsche may be able to make a case that altering the exhaust does affect oil leaks. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:20 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ duly noted.

i dont mod my cars much, anything i dont know how to personally get on and off i dont do it. and i dont know one end of a hammer from the other, last time i thought philips head was my boss' head who's name was philip. so with that in mind, my car is pretty stock.

if they want to pin the RMS on some exhaust mod, fine, bite me.
but what about the rest of the ppl who's RMS leaked without ANY MOD.
i dont need them to fix the car, i just like to hear an answer... a real answer... maybe like, we really dont know, we are working on the sol'n. we messed up, or even, they all leak as we engineer'd the leak into it... but dont tell me conflicting info. you drive too much it leaks, you drive too little it leaks, you stared at it too long, it leaks.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:52 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

^agreed.

The classic game of telephone. Who really knows what Porsche is thinking/saying??
Old 04-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
I put a PCA sticker on the rear window, am i in trouble?
Was it dealer installed?

Did they adjust the ride height and alignment to compensate?

Without a four wheel thrust alignment, you're playing with fire.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Alex, it was a slow and boring day, so I just returned from taking the 3 on a round trip out "the test track" with the sunroof and both windows opened. Thank you and James for the wonderful bypass!!! Nothing like it. By the way, 30,489 miles.........no RMS!!! Just a lot of worn out MPSC's and not very high GPM!! hehe. When you bring'n the tadpole up?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe SharkWerks should develop their own RMS and supply one with every GT3 exhaust kit they sell..

Regards,
Chris
Old 04-23-2009, 09:16 PM
seefouress
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam S
Porsche field technician today did not allow the dealershp to fix my RMS leak issue, claiming that my 3,000 mile GT3 RS cannot be covered under warranty for an RMS leak because of the 6 month old sharkwerk muffler bypass...

I can pay to get it fixed.. around $1500 at least they said...

I'm in shock and at a loss... they claim the back flow reduction from the muffler caused it...
:-(

Does this sound like BS to u?
Who can you turn to to fight his decision?
Do sharkwerk people have any supporting data that it is not causing the leak or voiding the warranty?
Any advice?
I'm wondering if someone (Sharkwerks, etc?) will provide any supporting data to help refute the claim of back pressure reduction damage? I can't imagine that the aftermarket exhaust people are going to let this thing go unchallenged.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:37 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by seefouress
I'm wondering if someone (Sharkwerks, etc?) will provide any supporting data to help refute the claim of back pressure reduction damage? I can't imagine that the aftermarket exhaust people are going to let this thing go unchallenged.
I cant see that any aftermarket supplier can....
Don't believe that they have the scientific engineering staff or R&D facilities / test equipment to tackle a problem like this and completely document their findings.
It's way beyond an audible vroom vroom

JMHO
Old 04-23-2009, 11:16 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
I cant see that any aftermarket supplier can....
Don't believe that they have the scientific engineering staff or R&D facilities / test equipment to tackle a problem like this and completely document their findings.
It's way beyond an audible vroom vroom

JMHO
Speaking of Scientific engineering how about this for a"control group" My car had RMS 1 year before I did the Sharkwerks bypass, so how is that for Science? If we did a pole of all the GT2, 3's and TT with RMS the ones that had a bypass would account for a small percentage of leakers.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:24 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

it is no secret porsche knows that the RMS in 2007 GT3's is faulty. They are running a way too big a tab to keep up with it.
The strategy is to ignore any RMS warranty problem on basis of modification. (i.e:exhaust)
Dealers can alter this if willing.

Bottom line is they really cant wait for warrantys to run out. they rue the day until then.
They will keep installing bogus seals to hold off problems until the day of extended warrantys run out.

The true problem is probably somewhere else.... but alas, they will keep pluggin seals untl then.

those with 2008's are in the clear i suspect
Old 04-24-2009, 12:45 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
it is no secret porsche knows that the RMS in 2007 GT3's is faulty. They are running a way too big a tab to keep up with it.
The strategy is to ignore any RMS warranty problem on basis of modification. (i.e:exhaust)
Dealers can alter this if willing.

Bottom line is they really cant wait for warrantys to run out. they rue the day until then.
They will keep installing bogus seals to hold off problems until the day of extended warrantys run out.

The true problem is probably somewhere else.... but alas, they will keep pluggin seals untl then.

those with 2008's are in the clear i suspect
no, i have a 2008, it pees as well.

Quick Reply: RMS fix DENIED by dealer!