RMS fix DENIED by dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Adam S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update

I had to edit to ad the latest update.
Porsche corporate tells me there is nothing wrong with the RMS.
Car just needs to be driven more often.
Indeed, after driving it on a more regular basis, no more RMS issues.

Last edited by Adam S; 06-30-2010 at 02:32 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:22 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

hey adam... wow that's a first They're supposed to prove that the RMS failure was due to a modified part- at least that's how it's supposed to work when they deny a claim like that. Of course you could go back with the stock muffler and still have the RMS and they'll still install the same one that will still leak Doh! I wonder if Porsche is just fed up of "fixing" (replacing) the RMS over and over and just want to put a stop to it? No exhaust is going to cause a RMS leak that's for sure.

Any Porsche dealer should know that just about every single stock 997GT3 and/or RS has or gets a RMS leak at some point in time. In fact there was a TSB recently saying that it's considered "normal"...
Old 04-20-2009, 06:25 PM
mental dental
Advanced

About to have interesting discussion with local Porsche dealership and probably Porsche GB. Just bought a 997 RS off a friend. has already had two replacement RMSs and is leaking again. Car is just under 2 years old so still in warranty.

UK Porsche warranties have just got a lot more expensive (£1450/year) and dealerships can be really picky about any changes to vehicle. Fitting an ipod adapter could invalidate the warranty!
Old 04-20-2009, 06:39 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

i think porsche is taking the easy way out on any 2007 gt3 with an aftermarket exhaust system. simply saying no to the customer. That is horrible. But i know a service letter was sent to all porsche dealers stating that exhaust modifications will consitute no warranty work. (so switch back to stock before warranty work, and then back to sharky afterwards)
i also know that a warranty RMS will not fix the problem anyhow.

porsche is have a problem with this, that is for sure..... and when all warrantys run out they will finally relax while everybody continues to leak with time... unless we find a working alternative....

not much anybody can do....
Old 04-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Adam S
Instructor

Hey Alex.. what is a TSB?

Can they claim all future warranty on the engine has been invalidated because they noted I fitted an aftermarket exhaust now, say if I have a problem in 2 years with something else?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:49 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam S
Hey Alex.. what is a TSB?

Can they claim all future warranty on the engine has been invalidated because they noted I fitted an aftermarket exhaust now, say if I have a problem in 2 years with something else?
Just a service bulletin.. I'll see if I can find the one and show you guys where they're basically saying the "RMS is normal etc...".

I would honestly say _if_ you can go to a different dealer rather than this one? It won't matter to them but in case you can always put the stocker on in the meantime.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:51 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I talked to my local dealer and they said there is no TSB for denial of warranty due to exhaust changes. There is a TSB on the RMS and whether it is covered or not, but that TSB does not say anything about exhaust changes automatically denying warranty. I checked into this before buying the sharky.

If someone has seen otherwise, could you post a TSB # or the bulletin's content.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:53 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you need to have a relationship with the service department. I have had 2 FMS leaks and they warrantied the work and my car is modded to the teeth and they know it.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Adam S
Instructor

I have a relationship with them... the service guy tells me they got a new notice this week that all RMS on gt3s has to go through the field technician/engineer for approval now...
said it's new... was shocked himself...

I don't mind putting my old exhaust back on... i just dont want my car marked for warranty death now that they know it has aftermarker exhaust...

or I dont mind paying for the leak fix... but if they note my car was fixed NOT under warranty in the service record, they will next time point to this as proof that the car must have had something modified that would void all future warranty needs... see what I mean? That's what worries me.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Interesting because my dealer tells me that Porsche has come up with a new seal which finally cures the problem. It should be available shortly. My understanding in the USA is that Porsche has to prove that the aftermarket parts cause the failure. In your position I'd continue to escalate the matter -politely! I don't know of a TSB, rather someone posted a letter from PCNA saying that some leaking is normal if the car is not drive frequently. My RS leaked but stopped when the track season started and it was driven frequently. The letter was in the 997 GT2/3 forum.

Regards,

Best,
Old 04-20-2009, 06:58 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

I saw the TSB in question -- it clearly asks the dealer to tell Porsche whether or not there is an after-market exhaust on the car, the implication being that no RMS fix avail under warranty if such an after-market part is on the car. In fact, I think the TSB even requires the dealer to submit high resolution pictures of the car/leak to Porsche! Perhaps someone here has a copy of, or access to, the TSB?
Old 04-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Adam S
Instructor

They did tell me they now have a new seal... but that was when I dropped off the car and we were buddies. Either way, my concern is not so much this issue, as I dont mind paying to get it fixed now.. I am concerned about, if I pay to get it fixed NOT under warranty, and it is noted in the service record there was an aftermarket exhaust, will they use it to deny me repair on other issues, should there be any... :-(
Old 04-20-2009, 07:05 PM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Models: 911 GT3/GT3RS (997)
Model Year: 2007-2008
Concern: Engine oil leaks.
Information: Supporting the dealer organization in complex fault finding on technically challenging and costintensive
components is of highest importance for Porsche to ensure long-lasting customer
satisfaction.
Dealers should not carry out any repair attempts for 997 GT3 and GT3RS engine oil leaks before first
consulting their technical support group with Porsche Cars North America. This includes oil leaks from
the front and rear crankshaft sealing rings, the crankcase mating surfaces, cylinder head mating surfaces,
oil cooling components and oil pipes.
Porsche requests complete, detailed case information when a 997 GT3 or GT3RS engine is found to
have oil leaks. This includes a verification of the vehicle’s detailed repair history (even beyond PQIS &
Warranty history), a verification of the exact area of leakage with sharp, high-resolution pictures as well
as a verification of any and all technical modifications on the vehicle (e.g. non-Porsche exhaust
systems). A vehicle analysis log is also requested for these cases.

This is the Bullitin in question.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:10 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

^ Yes, that is it -- thanks

My recommendation is that unless the leak is huge, leave it alone -- the cars seem to leak, even with the new (replacement) seal. "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Albert Einstein
Old 04-20-2009, 07:25 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche52
Models: 911 GT3/GT3RS (997)
Model Year: 2007-2008
Concern: Engine oil leaks.
Information: Supporting the dealer organization in complex fault finding on technically challenging and costintensive
components is of highest importance for Porsche to ensure long-lasting customer
satisfaction.
Dealers should not carry out any repair attempts for 997 GT3 and GT3RS engine oil leaks before first
consulting their technical support group with Porsche Cars North America. This includes oil leaks from
the front and rear crankshaft sealing rings, the crankcase mating surfaces, cylinder head mating surfaces,
oil cooling components and oil pipes.
Porsche requests complete, detailed case information when a 997 GT3 or GT3RS engine is found to
have oil leaks. This includes a verification of the vehicle’s detailed repair history (even beyond PQIS &
Warranty history), a verification of the exact area of leakage with sharp, high-resolution pictures as well
as a verification of any and all technical modifications on the vehicle (e.g. non-Porsche exhaust
systems). A vehicle analysis log is also requested for these cases.

This is the Bullitin in question.
DATED: 3/16/09

Quick Reply: RMS fix DENIED by dealer!