Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RMS fix DENIED by dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 12:28 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ahhh... sounds total economic driven... Stuttgart needs to keep what profits they have amassed... so sad... for P-car lovers that is... I can say I love my gt 3 but after reading this can also do without...
Old 04-21-2009, 12:33 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Concur, another case of running for cover and warranty "case management"
Old 04-21-2009, 01:02 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam S
Porsche field technician today did not allow the dealershp to fix my RMS leak issue, claiming that my 3,000 mile GT3 RS cannot be covered under warranty for an RMS leak because of the 6 month old sharkwerk muffler bypass...

I can pay to get it fixed.. around $1500 at least they said...

I'm in shock and at a loss... they claim the back flow reduction from the muffler caused it...
:-(

Does this sound like BS to u?
Who can you turn to to fight his decision?
Do sharkwerk people have any supporting data that it is not causing the leak or voiding the warranty?
Any advice?
BTW: My car had LWFW,WEVO mounts,Fabspeed Exhaust, TRG suspension bits and they covered the LSD no problem. The dealer is the key
Old 04-21-2009, 02:24 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

that is BAD news. Its just a matter of time before the whole damn warranty is going to be VOIDED by
any attempts at DRIVING!!!!
Old 04-21-2009, 03:14 AM
hesperus
Racer

i'm surprised that dealers in the US are treating people so inconsistently...

though i suppose it could be worse.

my friend has an Audi here (still under warranty) with a bad taillight, and the dealer denied coverage because the car had aftermarket wheels. when my friend argued that the wheels have nothing to do with the taillight, the dealer said the car has a complex ECU, and changing the wheels could affect everything else!

as for RMS...

i've had my GT3 fixed a FOURTH time, this time with the "new procedure advised by Germany" for installing the seal. that was about 6 wks ago. several hard drives and one trackday later, not one sign of a recurrence! (previously, the leak would return after only 2-3 wks).

fingers crossed that the problem is finally fixed
Old 04-21-2009, 04:58 AM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So much for making fun of Nissan and their warranty on the GTR!
It gave Porsche some ideas....
Old 04-21-2009, 07:51 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

that is such BS ...
Old 04-21-2009, 08:41 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default seals

I really don't understand what is to be gained by "hurting" all 996 / 997 GT3 owners. These cars are going to be "dumped" in droves on the used car market if this continues. Again, everyone knows that these seals were leaking from the beginning with the OEM exhausts.

Also, everyone has read all the hype about the DI engines and redesign of the crankcase to eliminate the intermediate shaft / RMS problem.

What gives? And who wants to buy my car - 2007 997 GT3 / white / Nav / heated seats / xenon / upgraded stereo / extra seats 996 GT3 and wheels.

$85,000
Old 04-21-2009, 09:00 AM
zizu
Racer

Originally Posted by sasportas
I really don't understand what is to be gained by "hurting" all 996 / 997 GT3 owners. These cars are going to be "dumped" in droves on the used car market if this continues. Again, everyone knows that these seals were leaking from the beginning with the OEM exhausts.

Also, everyone has read all the hype about the DI engines and redesign of the crankcase to eliminate the intermediate shaft / RMS problem.

What gives? And who wants to buy my car - 2007 997 GT3 / white / Nav / heated seats / xenon / upgraded stereo / extra seats 996 GT3 and wheels.

$85,000

Do you have a stock exhaust?
Old 04-21-2009, 10:03 AM
sws1
Pro

First off - the TSB does not say the warranty will be denied. Just says they want a list of all mods.

Second - threaten them with taking them to court, citing the Magnuson Moss act. They absolutely can not win the argument based on an exhaust.

Thirdly - What other mods are on your car? Be honest? LWFW?
Old 04-21-2009, 10:07 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it was caused by the heated seats option, myself.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:24 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Let's face it. The guys on this forum are not Porsche's best customers...they'd rather sell boatloads of cars to leisure, weekend drivers than track junkies.

However, the GT3/RS owners here are the Dealer's best customers. If the dealer doesn't take care of your warranty issues, and fight your battles with the FTMs, it's time to find another dealer.

Last edited by BobbyC; 04-21-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:37 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default GT3

Just to clarify - I'm trying to line up my next car - likely a Gen II GT3. Might want to change the color this time around. However, my comment in this thread is just a feeler to see if I can get out of my current car now or wait until the fall so that I'm positioned well when the new car becomes available. Resale vs new car etc...

I currently drive my car everyday, rain, snow, and shine. My dealer has stood by the car without any problem and I haven't had any significant problems with RMS leaks so far. The FMS had been "weeping" but now is OK.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

If you bought an extended warranty, it wasn't through Porsche or PFS, perhaps that company will cover it....they may not ask if it has been modded, etc...

Coochas, please PM me which dealer told you no warranty work on your C4S...
Old 04-21-2009, 11:30 AM
seefouress
Instructor

I'm getting ready to install a Sharky bypass on my RS and now am having second thoughts (already have one on the GT3 and love it). The discussion about whether or not a loss of back pressure could cause an RMS leak is way above my level of technical knowledge. Could we get some of the experts on this forum to weigh in a bit more as to whether that cause is even remotely possible?

Quick Reply: RMS fix DENIED by dealer!