Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Another GTR love letter

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 05:53 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe it is that good, but I do like the fact that Porsche is practically my free pit crew when it comes to anything that goes wrong with the car. The Cayman S has a severe oil starvation problem on one track local to me and a guy blew an engine, Porsche looked and it had not been hammered or over revved and gave him a new engine and a free loaner while they did it. All of this without having to sue them, the dealer was happy to do warranty work on PCNA's tab.
WOW nice to hear that. Thats whats kept me from buying a Boxster,Cayman or 996 not GT 911. The Oil starvation issue. If Porsche handles it that way I will have no problem buying a Cayman.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:55 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

CF thats what I dont understand TWENTY FIVE seconds!!! I can see 6 seconds or 9 seconds but there is no way Porsche cant come up with the driver to get with in 10 seconds of anything NIssan can do
Old 10-10-2008, 06:02 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree.. 25 seconds is too big of a gap.. and I am sure that Porsche is no dummie to try to achieve the record w/ bad brake, tires, etc. (these are pro drivers with pro pitcrews..)

So either the GT-R production variation is huge (i.e., some makes 440hps, some makes 540hps?!) or there's more that we don't know of.

On the other hand, I don't think Nissan would just come out and flat out lie about the GT-R performance. What good would that be?! (especially when people later realized that it is a lie and can not be duplicated?) For example, if you claim a car can go 0-60mph in 3.5 seconds, and the customers can only do it in 4.2? I am sure there will be an outrage...

I don't know. This one puzzles me.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:20 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I will love to read the whole story when it comes out. This I know Porsche is very conservative when quoting their own performance specs. Nissan I have little faith it. If they DID lie they still caused quite a stir.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:25 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian S
Come to think about it, an S2000 CR blew an engine at the same track because of oil starvation. Honda was happy to replace that engine as well.
i have a lot of faith in honda engineering. in many ways, the s2000 motor is better than the GT3. i know it's wet sump, but that's easy to fix. look at the engine as a pkg, it's one hell of an incredible motor.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:52 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have driven a S2000 before it was a hoot. But sure could use more HP
Old 10-10-2008, 09:54 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I have driven a S2000 before it was a hoot. But sure could use more HP
rylan's s2000, the one kibort races against all the time in SCCA ITE, i think has 350+ at the wheel. i drove it before it had SC. it felt better than cup cars!
Old 10-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another laughable exercise in groundless bashing! Amusing to say the least.

Could this unhappy GTR owner with a blown box be this guy: http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=18796

Nissan has been saying all along, so did a few journalists: don't use the launch control too often, it is hard on the car and will break the box. So the guy "didn't know what mode he was in" and blew up the transmission? We all know what's involved in setting up the car for a launch, it's not done by mistake or unintentionally.

The basis for discrediting the Ring time is Porsche running a car it purchased. There goes objectivity. Had Nissan purchased a GT3 and claimed their own driver was 30 seconds behind Röhl's times, would that prove anything? I bet most of us would be laughing hysterically.

The GT3 may be the best car for the money for most of us, but the bashing is ridiculous.

Regards,
Chris
Old 10-13-2008, 06:16 PM
am722
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kit_Chris
Another laughable exercise in groundless bashing! Amusing to say the least.

Could this unhappy GTR owner with a blown box be this guy: http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=18796

Nissan has been saying all along, so did a few journalists: don't use the launch control too often, it is hard on the car and will break the box. So the guy "didn't know what mode he was in" and blew up the transmission? We all know what's involved in setting up the car for a launch, it's not done by mistake or unintentionally.

The basis for discrediting the Ring time is Porsche running a car it purchased. There goes objectivity. Had Nissan purchased a GT3 and claimed their own driver was 30 seconds behind Röhl's times, would that prove anything? I bet most of us would be laughing hysterically.

The GT3 may be the best car for the money for most of us, but the bashing is ridiculous.

Regards,
Chris
Don't get me wrong, I happen to think launch control outside of actual competition is for jackasses, but the fact that Nissan has offered a feature on its car that can only be used by voiding the warranty is unfathomably stupid, and as far as I'm concerned is indisputable evidence that even Nissan knows its car is a POS gimmick. I don't care if the owner had to sign something saying he knew about the policy. That's like having somebody sign a waiver before going into a restaurant, feeding them something you know is laced with ecoli, and then throwing up your hands and blaming them when they get sick.

As for Porsche's test, we're not talking about subaru or mitsubishi here. If Porsche thought Nissan's times were even close to legitimate it would have never said anything and trusted that its customers knew the difference between a Porsche and a Nissan.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:38 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Chris we werent bashing. We are in our own Forum and the Fanboise came in here and are bashing Porsche. We didnt go into the Nissan forum and bash the GTR. We were responding. What ridiculous is all the Nissan Fanboise spreading out all over the Porsche world and spreading their crap all over the internet. We are here in the 997 GT3 forum. Any response you get here is what you get.
Nissan tried to make a super car (they did make a super ugly car) and they tried to come in at a price point. They failed. They have already raised the price $10K and there is a $20K surcharge for a working tranny. Or $20K for the warranty to work. They had to cut corners. They had to use their customers for quality and assurance testing and then voids their warranty. They are not the first to do this Dodge does it.

They are going to have to try again.

You know the GTR fanboise talking points is like the democratic spin miesters. They fan out and invade where they are not
supposed to be spewing rhetoric and just causing problems.

Last edited by OldGuy; 10-13-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All that has to be said in the end is lap times that we see for ourselves.

Eventually all of us that track regularly will see a GTR and one or two of us MIGHT find a competent driver and we will see it first hand.

I recently came across just a situation with a Viper ACR with a half decent driver, and he stomped me.. Not lap time wise but the fact that he barely used any of the track and ran the same lap times as I was on my best laps of the day which says he has quite a bit left and that the ACR is a superior car although I will throw in that it was ugly and very well tuned (had his own crew there) to make myself feel better :P
Old 10-14-2008, 11:32 AM
am722
Drifting

I will throw in that it was ugly
Actually, as ghastly as it is, I find the ACR strangely good-looking.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:06 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eventually all of us that track regularly will see a GTR and one or two of us MIGHT find a competent driver and we will see it first hand.
There is a GTR that is tracked locally. The is not much skill needed to make it go faster than a GT3 with a decent driver.

It does 1:52 out of the box and the car is all over the place. You can get away with murder in it. But a guy in a GT3 could be doing the same times and that would be around PCA instructor level of skill. Yes, we have seen pros do 1:47 but mere mortals usually get below 1:50 on slicks only.

The GTR is damn fast for what it is. And it seemed fairly durable. It's also nearly idiot proof.
I am not going to get one but I am too much of a snob. And I don't mean badge snob. I like cars that require more skill so I can act like I know what I am doing on the track. With a GTR you can always say that the car is better than the driver.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:34 PM
maximu5
Advanced

Location: Brussels, Belgium, 1 hour West of Spa, 2 hours West of the Ring ;-)
Default how long

I followed a GTR at Spa today for 2 laps. The owner, Swiss, seemed competent but no more. I have the unfair advantage of knowing Spa very well. The GTR seems like it forgives anything : it was wriggling in every turn to make corrections to the driving.

Not only would I never want such a car, but my limited experience of such cars - a M6 is similar in having lots of power and electronic aids - tells me this only lasts a few laps. The corrections by the electronic aids require constant use of the brakes which overheat within a few laps.

I also followed an M6 in my 996 MK1 last year : the 1st lap he was faster (particularly in a straight line), but the car was also all over the place and by the end of lap 2 he had no brakes anymore.

Anybody seen something similar with the GTR on a track (couldn't observe this today as I overtook the GTR ;-)) ?
Old 10-14-2008, 12:48 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Speaking of the s2000 motor they shoulda put that great motor in the lotus elise(non blown)/exige (blown). I take it the lotus is wet sump too- they must have a better baffled oil pan. Mike

Quick Reply: Another GTR love letter