Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Another GTR love letter

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 05:41 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

wow $20k for a transmission fix? $6k for a brake job, $1k for oil changes?

This GTR is an expensive car to keep up running.

The 996 GT3 is a killer deal. Reliable and strong. With a few upgrades, it's easily one of the fastest street legal cars at any track day, and it passes the sound limit at any track day.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
trust me, 997gt3 is a better STREETABLE DE car.
997 is a better street car sure.

I should have added "For the money" as the 6 offers pretty good bang for the buck at the moment.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:58 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 340Elise
What is Porsches official stand on their PDK launch control? It really is not that uncommon for manufacturers to have some kind of warranty voiding restriction for using the launch control. I know that the BMW M3 SMG had a limit of 20 launches, I believe, for the Euro model. Lotus also voids warranty if you use the launch control on their Exige 240 model.

Launch control generally is no better than any other hard launchs (drop clutch or power braking) for the drivetrain. It may be ideal and be more smooth, but it can't be good for the car.

Anyone with a 997 GT2 read their manual on the launch control? Do they have any kind of disclaimer?
The clutches and main shaft components in a pdk type box are smaller in an effort to reduce the bulkiness of the box. Therefore when using a launch control type function, particularly with a high torque motor (ie. any upcoming turbo and gt varients) the strain is significantly higher than that in a manual box with a larger clutch plate and pressure plate gear... Whilst we can laugh at the suggested GTR situation, it should also serve as a warning to those intending to specify pdk for future purchases where track work will be priority as you can almost be assured we'll be in a similar predicament with warranty clauses... even if it is a Porsche. Hopefully they'll leave such a destructive feature off considering the hp and torque involved...

Keep in mind that F1 cars are multi-million dollar cars and their archiles heel is their gearbox, if the driver isn't spot on with the launch, the clutches are so small that they fry and the race is done at the start line.

As the GT2 is a manual, the only way the LC could act is through the accelerator (bi-wire) and therefore I doubt the gearbox or clutch would be compromised as much.

It is however stupid that these companies offer a feature that will destroy a car in a limited timeframe... what are you suppose to do with a BMW? Keep a log book of LC use to ensure you don't use hit the magic number 20!!! lol!
Old 10-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an Evo8 and an Evo9MR and launched both cars many many times, and that is a stick shift and never had any problems...100k for what??? I'll keep the old school 993TT thanks.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

I don't remember anybody ever complaining about transmission issues with any of the Porsche turbos, abuse or not and I launched a 997 turbo HARD numerous times on my test drive and decided to buy the GT3 instead although the dead stop launch on the turbo is quite entertaining.

The dealer in general has been great with my cars, they had my cayman for over 30 days throughout one year and replaced numerous steering components. My GT3 however is a bit more complicated for them, one voided my squeak/rattle warranty although Porsche has a TSB about the front shocks and replaced them so I am waiting on the parts from another dealership. These are both fairly minor complaints though, nothing that you couldn't drive home with.

I have heard stories from Subaru and Mitsu guys about dealers voiding their drivetrain warranties, one mitsu dealer in town went so far as to go to an autocross event and take pictures of evo's for proof that they were being raced which is how they claimed to void the warranty on a sports car.......

So what's left, you just need an extremely strong transmission if you want to run an AWD car hard and you are just not going to get it from Nissan, Subaru or Mitsubishi even with Nissan priced "in the range" of a Turbo.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:39 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
997 is a better street car sure.

I should have added "For the money" as the 6 offers pretty good bang for the buck at the moment.
yes, bang for the bux lies with 996gt3, can't beat that.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:51 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I just looked on DuPont Registry and they have a page of GTRs from 125 to 100K
not including the 20k upgrade to the tranny you have to pay.
Those prices are going to evaporate quicker than a box of twinkies on Oprah's backstage. In Japan, the GTR prices are plummeting with the rest of the world to follow suit. Any second hand GTR is going to be about as attractive as a truck stop lizard - who knows what kind of disasters lay underneath the surface?

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/103516-gt...-industry.html
Old 10-08-2008, 02:14 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Those prices are going to evaporate quicker than a box of twinkies on Oprah's backstage
Old 10-08-2008, 02:26 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I see that as good news for all car guys.. cheaper cars (whether it is GT-R, GT3, etc.) is never a bad thing.. !!

Anyway, hope the tranny is just some isolated cases.. (the tranny in the GT-R is built by Borg-Warner, no? At least I know it uses parts from Borg.. and they are not new to dual-clutch tranny..) The tranny looks huge (and weights a ton!) and I was counting on it being able to take serious abuse..

Will be interesting to see how beefy the PDK is for the Turbo!!
Old 10-08-2008, 04:37 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 768 Posts

I have done my homework and from what i can see the GT3 is the best all round car for DD, DE and other forms of motosport all wrapped up in one neat little package!

like em' or not, you cant ignore the GT3's all round flexability for a sports car.

I love em'

Sold my GTR, very impressive, but no GT3.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:42 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I suspect you just made the incorrect assumption that your car was indestructible."
(from the nissan board)

ROFL!!!
Old 10-09-2008, 12:03 AM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crispenigl
"I suspect you just made the incorrect assumption that your car was indestructible."
(from the nissan board)

ROFL!!!
That should honestly be a fairly safe assumption as far as DE type events go when you spend 100 grand on a car.. the car really should be able to take any reasonable driving all day, the next day.. and then drive home.

Drag racing on the other hand is hit or miss, even the fully built drag muscle cars break transmission parts on the launch.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:34 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like the perfect car from Japan: ugly and fast on the highway.

58,000 miles on my car and only pads and one set of rotors (porsche covered) LSD (covered). I love Porsches. I looked at a Viper today... the dealer marked it up to $159K the MSRP was $90K
Old 10-09-2008, 01:51 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

i wonder what the Porsche story is 4 the GT2?
Old 10-09-2008, 02:58 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldGuy
i wonder what the Porsche story is 4 the GT2?
The difference is the crowd buying it.

I drive my car extremely hard but I dont do things it wasnt meant to do.

LC is extremely hard on the transmission and I cannot imaging a mature driver doing LC at every traffic light.

I would be willing to bet that this owner abused the car. He clearly didnt follow the Nissan guidelines. The owner probably has no clue what he was doing and jacked it up.

Also, the GTR is a really heavy AWD car. LC is going to punish the transmission because of pure physics MORE than the gt2

Quick Reply: Another GTR love letter