Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Another GTR love letter

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 05:39 PM
GuyR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are removing LC from US cars, to avoid the potential of the law-happy US buyers who sue and win many cases that seem stupid. They are leaving LC in the Japanese and UK cars as I understand it.

Also be aware that many other car manufacturers who provide LC in non-US cars, such as Ferrari, remove the feature for the US market, for the exact same reason.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GuyR
My 996 GT2 transmission failed at 11,000 miles. Porsche replaced it under warranty. At that point in time they told me that it's price fitted in British pounds was £10,000, which was about $18,000.

Does that make all GT2s and all 911s bad? Of course not, but I doubt the GTR haters will care as they're not interested in facts.
Very well said. Interesting bit about the GT2 transmission. You must be one of very few, Getrag gearboxes have been pretty bulletproof for Porsche.

Originally Posted by GuyR
They are removing LC from US cars, to avoid the potential of the law-happy US buyers who sue and win many cases that seem stupid. They are leaving LC in the Japanese and UK cars as I understand it.

Also be aware that many other car manufacturers who provide LC in non-US cars, such as Ferrari, remove the feature for the US market, for the exact same reason.
Also interesting. Sadly, for those who would rather entertain their visceral hatred of the GTR, this will be yet another piece of thinking that is too reasoned for them. The outright lie about transmission troubles is losing steam, it remains to be seen who will have the backbone to admit their criticism was unfounded, and in the more extreme cases, dishonest.

Regards,
Chris
Old 01-19-2009, 12:26 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

"There is nothing wrong with the GTR transmission. It is all lies"

Old 01-19-2009, 04:46 AM
lumpy
Racer

I have enjoyed reading all the posts in this thread! Very informative and entertaining. I'm a lowly 993TT driver but was interested in test driving a friends GTR. It is quick, slick, lots of buttons and multifunction screen that makes me feel like an old fart. I've only driven it (GTR) once but I didn't feel like I knew what was going on but I fell for all the media hype and I don't get it...perhaps I need more seat time. After the test drive, I hopped in my 911 and it was like coming home...warts and all but I felt like I knew what was going on. I think the current generation of 911s (996s and 997s) are even better/more refined and the current gt3 and gt2s are mind blowing. Porsche's current line up ain't in my price range so I'll stick with my slower 993TT.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:33 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

The GT3 is one of the best cars in the world. NO JAP CRAP can touch it!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:46 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

add another 5 dead GTR transmissions here
Old 01-21-2009, 10:24 AM
db_gt3
Instructor

"add another 5 dead GTR transmissions here"

Sounds like owning that car is a nightmare. But seriously, what would you expect from Nissan? You get what you pay for.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:21 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Lumpy you have a classic and I wish I still had my 993TT. Its not a "lowly car" so dont think
of it that way!!
Old 01-24-2009, 05:12 AM
dagor6
Advanced

I actually remember the same deal when they brought the M3 to the US with SMG, they had launch control overseas that voided your warranty after X launches.

Problem is that BMW found out definitively that US courts will not approve any use variability for warranties, they ended up pulling the feature here for a long while. The idea that Nissan is having people say "there is a button which I am not to press" is nuts, good to see they're pulling the feature.

I'm rooting for Nissan in the long run, but they have to learn that you can't cheap out on things like transmissions, period, and then you deserve to burn in hell as soon as you blame the customer. Audi black-flagged the TDI project for the R8 partially because they knew it'd need a new tranny.

Porsche's are engineered for the track, especially the GT3, clearly a better choice.

And to think, all Nissan had to do was build a stronger tranny.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Originally Posted by eclou
add another 5 dead GTR transmissions here
Since you like this GTR board so much, I thought you should read this reply.

Can we all take a deep breath and hold our judgements until Nissan has a chance to troubleshoot the car?

For what it's worth, there are literally dozens of GTR owners on this forum, that repeated track their cars and have yet to see one failure of any part so far. Any car can have a defect....lets see how Nissan handles this before throwing them under the bus.

Oh wait...this is the internet, where conclusions are made to be jumped to.

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....1&#entry394151

Your hatred of this car is amusing!

Regards,
Chris
Old 01-25-2009, 07:55 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

nothing to hate about an inanimate car. My disdain is for the deceitful marketing, delusional fans, and apologists who cannot see that the wheels already fell off the cart.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:25 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

My disdain is for the deceitful marketing, delusional fans, and apologists who cannot see that the wheels already fell off the cart.
My thoughts EXACTLY. Had they just brought the car out without claiming so much crap I would have welcomed it. But with all this Ring stuff they have really only excelled in stepping in donkey poo!

The other thing thing that really was bad form was the number of Nissan fanboise coming into other forums like ours and stirring up crap. That was the thing that got me. I have never seen other car fans come into Porsche forums with the numbers and level of crap that the Nissan children did.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:51 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
My thoughts EXACTLY. Had they just brought the car out without claiming so much crap I would have welcomed it. But with all this Ring stuff they have really only excelled in stepping in donkey poo!

The other thing thing that really was bad form was the number of Nissan fanboise coming into other forums like ours and stirring up crap. That was the thing that got me. I have never seen other car fans come into Porsche forums with the numbers and level of crap that the Nissan children did.
I would like to add that other forums don't have Porsche fan boys trashing their vehicles. The GTR deserves all the bad press it's getting since it was self created.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Schwabische Auto
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy

First off, I agree wholeheartedly, while not a present Porsche owner, (currently an 08 M3 owner, but always a huge Porsche fan), nothing pisses me off more then people who come into other people forums and stir up such trouble. I have certainly seen similar crap from those GTR boys in the M3 forums. I for one never believed those ring times either. I find it in such poor form to go into a forum and badmouth that car. Good to see German engineering will be vindicated over stupid gadgetry without substance. I doubt you will see such problems with either Porsche or BMWs double clutch sequentials.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:52 PM
Kit_Chris
Racer

You guys are hilarious! This forum is some kind of therapy for those who can't tolerate healthy competition? I understand the entire forum property issue, we must all stick to the party line, being part of Rennlist for years doesn't give any member the right to criticize the irrational bashing of a car based on twisted facts and in the more extreme cases utter lies. Further, anyone who dares speaking against the dishonesty that's been displayed here must be anti-Porsche and therefore shouldn't post on Rennlist.

I love this. As time goes on, the initial criticism about this car is fading, statements of fact about the transmission are turning out to be made-up. The truth is, the detestable methods of "fanboises" are used at length by those who get a kick out of criticizing the GTR right here. As for "GTR fanboises" who came over to disturb the peace on this forum, I have seen and participated in nothing of it, however the sheer number of posts started by Rennlisters slandering the car is in the dozens. The logic appears to be that dumping on the GTR will somehow improve our collective appreciation of the marque that we've loved on this board for years and years. More impressive, your inability to distinguish between those who rubbed you the wrong way by stepping on your turf and the engineering of a car that a generation seems to love, somehow nourishing hatred for a car is justified by the detestable behavior of those who stand for it. Brilliant!

Deceitful marketing? How about giving any level of credibility to claims by Porsche about a competing car they bought and tested for their own interest? This borders the ridiculous, and to pretend that it's ok to trust Porsche's bogus claims because we're on a Porsche forum is a typical fanboise approach. Porsche joyfully joined Nissan in the Ring time folly, but this again doesn't serve the party line therefore is dispensable?! Ring times have been used by Porsche for decades without the slightest hint of skepticism, now that some good numbers are turned up elsewhere we're into deceitful marketing?

Bottom line is, I'm enjoying your susceptibility, the baseless smear against the GTR is uncalled for and stands against the spirit of competition that most of us feel strongly about, aside from being rather poorly articulated!

Regards,
Chris

Quick Reply: Another GTR love letter