Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Another GTR love letter

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 04:12 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

GT-R at NASA Eagles' Canyon Race. Was slower than the TTC Civic, and ran about the same time as my 944 turbo with a hangover...
Old 10-14-2008, 04:38 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,251 Likes on 610 Posts

he parked right next to me and jay, car looked cool, and launched out of the turns quickly, but I think he was just a family guy having fun and not a competitive drover. the m3 guy should have been racing his really fancy m3 instead of TT'ing it.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:40 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
he parked right next to me and jay, car looked cool, and launched out of the turns quickly, but I think he was just a family guy having fun and not a competitive drover. the m3 guy should have been racing his really fancy m3 instead of TT'ing it.
so you spanked him?
Old 10-14-2008, 05:54 PM
996FourEss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the latest Evo magazine (at least the latest one in the US). Evo took five cars to the 'Ring to test times - Enzo, Pagani Zonda F, Carrera GT, Koenigsegg, Maserati MC12. All cars were driven by the same driver. The Koenigsegg, while the most acelerative, was the least driveable through the corners, and actually got crashed. The balance of the four set times of 7.24, 7.24, 7.25, 7.28 (min/sec) for the Maserati, Ferrari, Pagani, Porsche respectively. All cars were tracked with recommended road rubber.

Given these results, and given the power to weight of the Nissan GTR, I am highly sceptical that it achieved a 7.29 time. The Carrera GT, slowest of the bunch has 605bhp and weighs 1,380kg, about 350kgs below that of the GTR. I am willing to watch any YouTube video to the contrary, but something does not add up.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:04 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

I wonder why Sport Auto isn't testing a GTR. They are the benchmark setters for production based cars.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:17 PM
996FourEss
Instructor

Completely agree. They should and put this whole debate into the academic field.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Chris we werent bashing. We are in our own Forum and the Fanboise came in here and are bashing Porsche. We didnt go into the Nissan forum and bash the GTR. We were responding. What ridiculous is all the Nissan Fanboise spreading out all over the Porsche world and spreading their crap all over the internet. We are here in the 997 GT3 forum. Any response you get here is what you get.
Nissan tried to make a super car (they did make a super ugly car) and they tried to come in at a price point. They failed. They have already raised the price $10K and there is a $20K surcharge for a working tranny. Or $20K for the warranty to work. They had to cut corners. They had to use their customers for quality and assurance testing and then voids their warranty. They are not the first to do this Dodge does it.

They are going to have to try again.

You know the GTR fanboise talking points is like the democratic spin miesters. They fan out and invade where they are not
supposed to be spewing rhetoric and just causing problems.
I have nothing to say about foreign GTR amateurs bashing other cars, I'll leave that up to you. The need you feel to nit pick another car (and deny its objective strengths) in order to make the GT3 look better in comparison is simply unbelievable, and please don't deny your obsession about the GTR, it's phenomenal, yet you seem to forget that this sort of comparative debating is precisely what you fight so bitterly.

Fair enough, this is your territory, but don't expect unanimous cheering as a result. Now, if you had anything serious to bring up against the GTR, I'd have nothing to say, but the pissing match between Nissan and Porsche about the Nurburgring times makes both of them look real bad, I'm also amazed that you would take Porsche's statements about their own GTR tests seriously; Porsche is clearly nervous about the GTR, they wouldn't bother issuing the sort of statements they have been making. Regarding the transmission issue, again there's no meat at all, and for those who think it's wrong for a manufacturer to install devices that are dangerous either to the car or the driver, then how about Ferrari doing the same about the 599? How about the GT3's semi-slick tires? How about traction control that can be turned off?

Sorry for standing out, I hope this is spicing things up.

Regards,
Chris
Old 10-14-2008, 06:46 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

You can stand out Chris
you have been commenting far more intelligently than the Fan boise coming in here and using
sniper fire.
I dont think Porsche is nervous but incredulous. Like I said in another post. Nissan used the TT as the target and failed. Its an admirable target. But the Porsche TT has been one of the most if not THE most revered supercar since the Mid 70's. There is no way Nissan is going to hit that mark on their first try. Name another supercar that has been as consistent as the Porsche Twin Turbo. Its closed many a racing division.
They thought they did but now its coming out that they failed. In both mechanically and in price. As we are finding out.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Kit_Chris
Racer

They thought they did but now its coming out that they failed. In both mechanically and in price. As we are finding out.
This is a statement of opinion, like I said relying on a few cases of broken transmissions by wreckless owners and dubious claims about lap times proves nothing; one could make the case that the GTR is better because magazines say so, IMO both arguments are highly selective and weak as a result. The fact that there are thousands of pages devoted to comparing a turbo Porsche to a half price Nissan is a formidable achievement, whether one is quickest by a tenth matters little, the mere fact we discuss both these cars in the same breath is amazing. Given the choice, being a long time Porsche fan I'd go for the GT3, but the choice would be far from easy as both have tremendous strengths that the other doesn't have.

Regarding the price hike, it's the classic novelty phenomenon, let's see how it goes from now on, but I'd rather have Nissan cash in the extra money than resellers turning a profit on the hype. Asserting that your average GTR buyer should budget an extra 20K for transmission work is absolute non sense.

Regards,
Chris
Old 10-14-2008, 07:56 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

According to a post on the AMG board today Nissan has halted all orders of the GTR
Old 10-14-2008, 08:06 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

The GTR aura has evaporated just a month past the US launch. I would call that an epic failure by any metric. Nissan can publish more videos from any angles it wants - driver, passenger, outside, upskirt, whatever. People see the Adam's apple scar on the car and the honeymoon is over.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:21 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kit_Chris
This is a statement of opinion, like I said relying on a few cases of broken transmissions by wreckless owners and dubious claims about lap times proves nothing; one could make the case that the GTR is better because magazines say so, IMO both arguments are highly selective and weak as a result. The fact that there are thousands of pages devoted to comparing a turbo Porsche to a half price Nissan is a formidable achievement, whether one is quickest by a tenth matters little, the mere fact we discuss both these cars in the same breath is amazing. Given the choice, being a long time Porsche fan I'd go for the GT3, but the choice would be far from easy as both have tremendous strengths that the other doesn't have.

Regarding the price hike, it's the classic novelty phenomenon, let's see how it goes from now on, but I'd rather have Nissan cash in the extra money than resellers turning a profit on the hype. Asserting that your average GTR buyer should budget an extra 20K for transmission work is absolute non sense.

Regards,
Chris
The flaw with your approach is that you wish to argue that a GTR is an equivalent somehow of a TT-Porsche. Perhaps for you it is and for others, it simply isn't.

You argument smacks of the Political arguments going around now. One doesn't preface their loyalty but simply argues that the other is wrong or the one I personally like best, the " you're not open-minded enough" or its corollary; "you just don't understand".

You like the Nissan, OG does not apparently.

Me? I think it has a place, just not for me. I'd pay the difference and get the Porsche...YMMV
Old 10-14-2008, 08:25 PM
am722
Drifting

According to a post on the AMG board today Nissan has halted all orders of the GTR
True. http://jalopnik.com/5062550/nissan-t...duction-issues.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:19 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

chris_kit, i have had the opportunity to drive pervious two generations of skyline GTR in asia. incredible cars no doubt. but the GTR/JDM aura doesn't appeal to the US market, at least at the moment anyway. it's a pointless argument. let the owners buy what they like and drive what they like. every car has it's place and in some cases, i find my civic much better than my GT3RS. GTR is much like porsche, you either get it or you dont. why argue until face is blue?

i collect fountain pens. some approaching the prices of automobiles. i dont try to convince rennlist that the pens are worth their price. this is a porsche forum, not a pen or a GTR forum. no offense, just trying to save you some breath.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:07 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mooty
chris_kit, i have had the opportunity to drive pervious two generations of skyline GTR in asia. incredible cars no doubt. but the GTR/JDM aura doesn't appeal to the US market, at least at the moment anyway. it's a pointless argument. let the owners buy what they like and drive what they like. every car has it's place and in some cases, i find my civic much better than my GT3RS. GTR is much like porsche, you either get it or you dont. why argue until face is blue?

i collect fountain pens. some approaching the prices of automobiles. i dont try to convince rennlist that the pens are worth their price. this is a porsche forum, not a pen or a GTR forum. no offense, just trying to save you some breath.
Oh no, fountain pens too!

We have much in common! Though I no longer understand my fountain pen Jones since I can't even use them anymore and always think I'll sell them. But then I just keep them, and about 12 times a year I actually carry one. Just a weapon at important signings.

Otherwise,like typewriters and 35mm cameras, 400HP engines, 6-speed manuals, 2800 lb sports cars, buggy whips etc.

Quick Reply: Another GTR love letter