Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Another GTR love letter

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008 | 09:59 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Soon as my wife is not looking. I am going to get one that does 530+ and 530 torques. I love this car.
A little ole grandmas car with 500++ of hp!!

But really its not a grandma car. I have had more people come up and drool all over the car and say what a nice car than any of my 911s. That is strange to me. Either people are confused or intimidated by the GT3s or they really love and admire Mercedes OR AMG
Old 10-16-2008 | 10:12 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kit_Chris
Good point, which is why many of us miss the 1970s and 1980s artful F1 driving, unassisted 911s, and unprotected sex.

Why not? But thanks for attributing to me such a noble task, dear Rennlister! Nobility detests unfairness, true love spits in the face of unreasoned partisanship, intellectual dishonesty is unwelcome on any public forum, and I'm sure this won't affect our shared love for the brand. Let Nissan and Porsche lose sleep over this, the automotive world is for us enthusiasts a hobby, a game, to be played in good spirits.

Until the sequel, ciao ciao!

Regards,
Chris
Yeah, Flower Power Sex (flavor of the day) was something that brings tears to any Guy's eye...
Old 10-17-2008 | 01:00 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Soon as my wife is not looking. I am going to get one that does 530+ and 530 torques. I love this car.
A little ole grandmas car with 500++ of hp!!

But really its not a grandma car. I have had more people come up and drool all over the car and say what a nice car than any of my 911s. That is strange to me. Either people are confused or intimidated by the GT3s or they really love and admire Mercedes OR AMG
I drove a clk black and it is a real car! A guy up here traded it in. Had 300 miles on it and the dealer was asking $115K. With the economy in the dumps prices are come down on a lot of cars. OG: does your car blip on downshift?
Old 10-18-2008 | 01:31 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Spanked one a little bit at the NJ track yesterday, the things seem gigantic on the track.
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2008 | 01:59 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Roberga yes it has that intoxicating blip on down shifts Its great. It manke me sound like I know
what I am doing?
You thinking about one?
Old 10-18-2008 | 10:16 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Spanked one a little bit at the NJ track yesterday, the things seem gigantic on the track.

tell me you have video of the takedown. It would be another fusilade in the side of a dying Japanese claymation.....
Old 01-17-2009 | 08:14 PM
Kit_Chris
Racer

GTR transmission update, by Motor Trend, December 23, 2008:

Shortly before we crowned the Nissan GT-R our 2009 Car of the Year, a controversy broke out surrounding the durability of both the transmission and the warranty. In today's Video Find, tuners at Samurai Speed managed to break their own GT-R transmission, but they set a few records along the way.

According to Samurai Speed, their GT-R has run a claimed world-record 10.53 sec pass in the quarter mile thanks to its "600+" horsepower at the wheels. After "100+" launches down the drag strip using the controversial Launch Control program, the team finally managed to blow up their transmission, but that hasn't got them down. The team says that they were searching for the limits of the transmission and are now working on getting stronger gears for their new box, suggesting that the failure occurred in one of the gears. The company hopes to break into the 9 sec. quarter-mile range once the car is rebuilt, this time with even more power.

Assuming the 100-plus drag strip launches and 600-plus wheel horsepower are accurate, this would seem to indicate that the GT-R's transmission is far more stout than it has been rumored to be. Reports of the gearbox's fragility have centered around the complaints of a member of the North American GTR Owners Club who's transmission was destroyed after being used with the Launch Control system too many times. It eventually came to light that he had been driving the car very hard and that the owner's manual and warranty clearly state that such damage would not be covered by the warranty, but the incident has cast a dark shadow over the GT-R. While Nissan has confirmed that it will not warranty damaged caused by abuse with the nanny systems turned off, the company has also considered removing the Launch Control feature from future models. Still, it would appear that Samurai Speed has proven the gearbox capable of handling more than the car's rated power under a fair amount of abuse, more than any street-driven car will likely see. Still, at $20,000 per transmission, racing a GT-R is not for the weak-of-wallet.

http://wot.motortrend.com/6407784/vi...-hp/index.html
Old 01-17-2009 | 08:38 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

I wonder what type of tranny the boys and girls from Zuffenhausen could put together for $20K?

If Porsche had a mean streak they'd consider producing an aftermarket "crate" transmission for the GT-R. A tranny that doesn't break. Ever. Ha!

That'd be a chuckle.
Old 01-17-2009 | 11:45 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

GTR transmission update, by Motor Trend, December 23, 2008:
Testing one transmission (in other words, a single data point) is statistically meaningless.
Old 01-18-2009 | 01:12 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

And being in Motor Trend makes it even more pointless.
Old 01-18-2009 | 11:39 AM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Originally Posted by Marv
Testing one transmission (in other words, a single data point) is statistically meaningless.
Correct! And using a single case of a broken transmission to conclude that the GTR has a weak transmission design must be equally meaningless? And the fact that this first failure was reported in Motor Trend (and others) months ago must make this fixation about the GTR's transmission problems an even more blatant lie?

"There are none so blind as those who will not see!"

Bottom line is, the entire debate about the GTR's transmission is worthless, claims to its reliability problems are fabricated and ruminated by those who can't stand healthy competition!

Regards,
Chris
Old 01-18-2009 | 01:14 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marv
Well, it's entirely statistically meaningful for that one transmission. : )

But statistics, eh, what a game. And you know, if you plot that one data point, it's going to be in a cloud and plot another hundred samples and the cloud will just take shape. The likelihood of a given single data point being anomalous reflects the distribution. Funny how much a really energetic statistician can pull out of a single sample. Porsche tends to agree with you -- they'll see a hundred GT3s with seal failures and say it's statistically insignificant. But to each of those owners, there's ample meaning. : )

For Nissan, I think there's low expectations and the whole production of the GTR is insignificant to such a massive and diverse company. Conversely, if Porsche started having us sign waivers and disclaimers, disabling PDK launch control and reporting clutch failures or (perish the thought) gear failures, well, I think for a lot of us, the sky would be falling (as would the stock price.)

My new years' resolution for 2009 is to get a GT3 (or RS!) with PDK and use every ounce of it. (Let's call that full disclosure for when I sell.)
Old 01-18-2009 | 02:53 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
My new years' resolution for 2009 is to get a GT3 (or RS!) with PDK and use every ounce of it. (Let's call that full disclosure for when I sell.)
How? In the Southern California traffic?

There are more than 130 replies on this thread. Who among those actually willing to own a GT-R and have the first-hand experience?
Old 01-18-2009 | 03:18 PM
GuyR
Racer

My 996 GT2 transmission failed at 11,000 miles. Porsche replaced it under warranty. At that point in time they told me that it's price fitted in British pounds was £10,000, which was about $18,000.

Does that make all GT2s and all 911s bad? Of course not, but I doubt the GTR haters will care as they're not interested in facts.
Old 01-18-2009 | 04:22 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Correct! And using a single case of a broken transmission to conclude that the GTR has a weak transmission design must be equally meaningless?
Nissan would not have removed launch control from the '10s and started the campaign to reflash all '09 cars to remove LC if there was only a single case of a broken transmission. There also would not be data logging of 5 ranges of transmission oil temps stored, nor would there be owner submitted reports of 280F transmission oil temps.

Quick Reply: Another GTR love letter